C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Door Seal Problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C230K Sports Sedan
Angry Door Seal Problems?

Not sure if this is a common problem or not.. but i have a C230K Sedan (Not sure if it applies to all W203's) But the weather stripping around the top of the door when its open is loose and falling off.. The car is less than a month old.. This kind of thing shouldnt be happening.. Looks to me like just cheap glue.. should i just Liquid Weld it back down and forget about it or have the dealer replace it with more cheap glue?

-Alex
Old 06-09-2003, 10:45 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
Don't use liquid weld. Let the dealer fix it and see the poor quality and ask them if this is what you can expect from your mercedes. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, I know it's frustrating but don't expect a flawless car. I can say that because I;ve had a few problems myself, all more serious than weatherstriping. On the bottom of my doors it hangs down a bit but I'm pretty sure it's designed that way to seal properly. This might sound strange but take a look at the bottom of your door and see if you see what I'm taking about. I have an 02 coupe so it might be a little different.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:02 PM

C230Kompressor
I had a similar problem on my Coupe. Top of the weather stripping was falling in and causing wind noise. I took it to the dealer assuming they would just glue it back on. Nope. Replaced the whole friggin' thing! The section that was loose was probably 2" or so, but apparently they felt it was necessary to replace instead of reattach. It's fine now, and that's all I care about.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The weather stripping on the bottom of the driver's door came loose a couple months ago. I had the dealer replace it under warranty. This seems to be fairly common.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Originally posted by Lynn
The weather stripping on the bottom of the driver's door came loose a couple months ago. I had the dealer replace it under warranty. This seems to be fairly common.
Me too.....the clips that hold the stripping in place came off the stripping. The dealer replaced under warrant and actually had the parts in stock.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:08 AM

u are lucky not like me...having probelms like car kicking back...vibrating engine..... and i just got my car even less than a month old.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:32 AM

2003 C230
Just to see if there's a common cause...more...

Do any of you guys who've had problems with the weather-striping park your car in direct sunlight for prolonged periods? I am not trying to lay blame or anything but only trying to uncover whether or not the materials chosen by MBZ are sub-par when exposed to high temps and UV.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Just to see if there's a common cause...more...

Originally posted by czachari
Do any of you guys who've had problems with the weather-striping park your car in direct sunlight for prolonged periods? I am not trying to lay blame or anything but only trying to uncover whether or not the materials chosen by MBZ are sub-par when exposed to high temps and UV.
I've had my car two years and counting... Garaged at night/weekends, but parked in the hot Dallas sunlight 5-days a week year-round. No problems with defective stripping in the area questioned.

The stripping on the bottom of the RF door did fall loose, once, but was fixed by dealer without drama.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Lynn
Same here. Replaced once and it didn't fit well. I believe the seal was sent to my dealer in a small box and it was deformed/bent. It was replaced a second time and no more problems.