C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Blue front window on the sport??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Inside and Outside Photos

Re: MB///HRV

Hmm....

I don't get it.

I spoke with the dealer today and everything. They went out and physically looked at all their C-Class cars. Yet, so did you, and you have the photo.

Perhaps some of us got cheated with the front glass? Many states do not allow tinting upon the whole front windshield, yet your car seems to have coloring across the whole unit, not just the top.

Could MB have changed some things from production, cycle-to-cycle? Different days got different windshields? Could yours with the tinting (and the few others) be mistakes? Or, might ours be mistakes (without the tinting)?

I'll have to phone MBUSA over this one. They, as usual, probably won't know anything and resort to whipping out their own opinions, etc. I saved your photo because it is likely that someone will question my integrity. Of course, then they'll just discount the photo too.

Maybe we should compare vin. #'s for clues?

What an anomoly. Yet, the power of this forum rings true here again. For those of us without the frontal blue glass, just how would we have known if we were not discussing this and, better yet, even comparing photos?

I'll report back soon.

Christopher
Old 05-30-2003, 10:55 PM

C32AMG
My car

has a lightly tinted widshield,as do all C32's.This shoots a large hole in the assumption that any tinting of the windshield is unlegal here in the US.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:10 PM

05 E500
Tinting

Steve Clark:

Perhaps there should be clarification about degrees of window tinting of the front windshield versus what is typically presumed by the term "tinted windows."

Yes, even front windshields come with *some* tinting on them, but in the manner of what we're referencing, in which there is a rather apparent front tinting as comparable to the other much darker window tinting (from the factory), there should be a distinction made.

To have the front window *darker* in its shading (to match the others), this would require an aftermarket interest. As far as what is legal, only the very top could be tinted to greater degrees of darkness.

The anomoly here is, the photo shown above which suggests a blue coloring versus the standard coloring on the front windshield.

My dealership insists that they would have to see this done themselves, as they have no blue tinted front windshields on any of their cars. I will be contacting MBUSA and other MB technical sites about this matter specifically.

How *some* of you have what is assured as blue front window tinting is still a rather significant mystery to many others here. Eventually, I will be speaking with sources from the corporate offices that should finalize this with some authority.

Christopher
Old 06-04-2003, 04:16 PM

C32AMG
My car

and all other C32's I've seen have a blue-tinted windshield.The color is precisely what's evident in the picture posted 29 May.MBZ sales literature for C32s even mentions the tinted glass as being standard.
This windshield glass should fit any 203 chassis.Makes sense to me that it may have been fitted to non-AMG cars as well.This might have been an option in some markets.
Legality issues?...do you really think they'd import thousands of cars w/o clearing this with the DOT first?.The level of tint is only enough to reduce glare.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:06 PM

05 E500
Legal Issues - DOT

Your legal issues - DOT response, entirely misses the point.

Once again, in regard to darker (not just "glare reducing") shades of tinting, this is illegal - all states! That's the way it is.

Now, if we're *strictly" referring to the upper windshield trim, this can be tinted much darker.

Regarding the overall tinting of the winshield, yes, as I have detailed to you, there is usually *some* tinting. This does not offset the point made from the other poster about window tinting (as it applies to darker shades) on the front windshield. This is where the distinction is not being digested.

The blue tinting aspect which you state appears on all C32's (of which I'll have to take your word for it - my dealership resists this notion, at least thus far) may indeed be a reasonable approach as to how some other C-Class sedans came with this windshield coloring apart from just the AMG models. Why there would be a picking and choosing as to which models would get this fitting, and upon why the MBUSA sales website ommits any content of this as a possible option, once again, would underscore the logic here.

I will certainly be looking into this, as previously stated.

Christopher
Old 06-04-2003, 05:07 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Blue Glass info

my 2 cents.

All new model MBs appear to have a LIGHT tint to the glass (windshield included). This tint should not be equalled to the BLUE tint found on the C32.

I shure do like the C32 tint though.

Here's a bit of info I found on the fancy pants blue tint.

PPG Solextra

P.S. As the Texas heat is blazing down I am looking for the best tint to buy (blue if possible). If anyone has some specs (transmittance, absorbance, Reflectance, etc) on any model blue tint I would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping that I can get a nice blue tint to look good and still help cool off my car.

-Eric
Old 06-04-2003, 05:20 PM

05 E500
Blue Tinting

I included my special (dealership bundled) blue tinting I had applied over my original factory blue tinting on page two (2) of this thread. It looks great and everyone likes it.

Yes, I agree and have been *trying* to make the point, about the "light" tinting versus the darker blue tinting found on the other four windows.

If the C32's are coming with different (light blue) windshields, that's one thing. Maybe I'll switch mine out.

But if other C230's are coming with the same (light blue) windshields, then I want to know why I was not given such an option. I will be taking the submitted photo to this forum as quasi-evidence to the dealership. They have challenged the authenticity thus far.

Again, I have the answer in certain mode here soon.

Christopher
Old 06-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I'm late to this, but here is my observation. If every one of us went outside to our cars and performed the test experiment as shown by MB///HRV, we would all discover that we have a "tinted" WINDSHIELD (not winshield). This is because it is physically impossible to make DOT-approved Automotive safety glass which is perfectly clear (no color). No glass in standard usage is 100% VLT.

As noted by a previous poster, automotive glass is at best 95% VLT (95% of the Visible Light is Transmitted... but no more) This means that 5% of the light is not transmitted, because it is refracted or absorbed by elements physically present in the glass. The color of these elements determines whether you have a grey hue to the glass, or blue.

On standard C-Class cars, the coloring within the glass (all windows) yields a 95% VLT Grey hue, while on the "Blue tint" optioned cars, the coloring within the glass is 95% VLT Blue, instead. However, 95% VLT can't be considered "tinted" by any means.

I have 35% VLT Grey tint on my side and rear windows, which means 35% light transmission. When added to glass which is already 5% RLT, the effect is that approx. 30% of the outside light is transmitted into the interior of the car.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:18 PM

05 E500
Tinting

Good disclosure, Bob.

For my specific part, my application had blue colored glass on all four windows (possibly the rear window as well) prior to me having the dealership (LLumar) add further blue tinting to those same four windows, as well as the rear windshield.

The frontal windshield glass is most definitely the grey hue you speak of, and NOT at all blue. (I have done the white paper experiment to reflect they grey, and not blue tinting.) Perhaps others are getting an illusion, or there were two windshields, though MB never made ANY mention of such an option, or differential.

If other C-Class cars, perhaps the C32's are getting different glass, my dealerships begs the differ. Certainly, they swear they have seen NO OTHER blue coloring of the frontal windshield on any C-Class models, which would include the new C230 sport sedan which this thread originated from.

Again, I will be taking the inquiry to the MBUSA corporate offices for their take here real soon. This does not always yield precise results as I have witnessed errors and ommissions from them previously, too.

I'll go to other MB techical sites as well, as more is needed. Perhaps you might have the exact answers we seek in this matter? If so, please illustrate this.

On the question, it is as simple as this, does the W203 C230WZ Sport Sedan come with blue coloring on its front windshield to match its other window coloring (or whatsoever), paying special attention to the "blueing" and the "front windshield" aspects specifically?

Christopher
Old 06-04-2003, 08:58 PM

2003 MB C230K Sports Sedan
Re: Side Badges

Originally posted by c2jones
Thanks. These were digital photos take about a week or so ago from a friend with a handy camera at a clubhouse tennis court parking lot. There have been some upgrades since. I will be loading in more current photos real soon.

The emblems say Kompressor on the side panel. This car was a special order. It has a few special unique items on it.

Christopher
I also have the exact same car as you.. however i never saw an option for the Kompressor badge for the side of the car.. Did you put that on after the fact or did it come from the factory like that?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Has anyone tinted the windshield or tinted 4 inches on the windshield? Meaning 4 inches down from the top of the windshield.

Thanks
mig888
Old 06-04-2003, 11:08 PM

Re: Re: Side Badges

Originally posted by alevy
I also have the exact same car as you.. however i never saw an option for the Kompressor badge for the side of the car.. Did you put that on after the fact or did it come from the factory like that?
It's funny you mention that because I do not have the kompressor on the sides either. 2 friends of mine got the same car in Miami and both of theirs has it. HMMMM (not that I care b/c I would have taken it off anyway).
Old 06-05-2003, 12:42 AM

05 E500
Kompressor Emblems

Regarding the Kompressor Side Panel Emblems:

This was a dealer offered option that replaced the original "1.8" emblem that came from the factory. Most people like it. I opted for it instead of the 1.8, as I don't feel that the small liter thing is so worthy of being bragged about (as impressive as it otherwise may be for MB). V-8, V-12, yes, but not 1.8.

As far as whether some like the Kompressor badging or not, it is really a matter of personal taste. I see many things I oppose on other vehicles (like with all the people who somehow thought saving the lousy $750 bucks on the Xenon lights would offset how fine their car could have otherwise looked with them, etc., etc.), but I do not cast direct judgement on them. The xenons look superior, plain and simple.

Upon the emblem, for instance, many other classes of MB come with side badges sporting the Kompressor emblems as well. It is a desired feature for most.

All I can say is that more people than not love the appearance of this car (emblems and all) and it has been quite the rave at the car club displays we have attended. What's more, we will likey have the car on display at the C-Sport Drive Party when it comes to town, should the administrators get their way. We sure hope so.

Christopher