C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Climate Controls Problems??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 SS
Unhappy Climate Controls Problems??

Hello everyone,

I am new here. Just got a C230 Sport Sedan. I was wondering if anyone had problems with their climate control. When mine is on, not in auto mode, it seems like the air is always hot when i set it to the lowest temp. Is it me or is this normal? Thanks!!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I see you're in California, but what's the temp there when you're trying this? Even when "auto" is disengaged, the climate control will attempt to keep the cabin at the selected temperature. Turning "auto" off puts the fan speed and air distribution in manual mode. And, the compressor will still be running unless you also press the "AC OFF" button ("EC" mode on pre-2003 models), so you should still be getting cool air. If it was very cold (which I doubt it is where you are), even at the lowest setting you might get warm air.

When "auto" is off, the fan is also on manual setting. If it is set to a very low speed and the system is trying to regulate temperatures, the air temp could be hotter or colder than it would be if the fan was running at auto speed in an attempt to reach the desired temperature.

Are you getting expected air temps when the system is running in "auto"?
Old 06-20-2003, 05:04 PM
Almost a Member!

C200 CDI w203
if you bought this car, and if
1) it did not have the climate control as an original part
AND
2) the previous owner replaced the normal unit with a climate control
AND
3) he used the climate control 203 820 02 85
THEN
there is a possibility that you only either get hot air or cold air blown -> many in this forum have experienced this problem when replacing the normal units with climate controls
regards,
Rumman
Old 06-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Banned

C230 SS
Thanks for replies and feedback.

I bought the car new. And what I meant was the Auto is on the OFF position and the A/C is also on OFF. the air that comes into the cabin seems to be warm air. The temp outside reads like 70. Am I supposed to have the A/C on as well? Also when i turn the AUTO on it blows like crazy. Is this normal? For example, it is 90 degrees outside, then i select Auto, but the air that comes into the cabin is still warm air. I know it is trying to adjust it's temp to what I want it, but the air that comes in is warm, not cold air. Sorry if I am confusing you.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

C200 CDI w203
it takes a minute to get really cold air blowing out of the vents! Otherwise, if you have auto, it tries to reach your desired temp. asap... so obviously, if inside your car it is like 75, and you have it set to auto at 70, it would blow cold air, and vice versa!! To test if the a/c works at all, set the whole thing to manual, set the temperature as low as possible, and turn the ventilation on to say level 4, you should have cold air coming out. if you don't, then the a/c is not working, which happened to me when i bought my car, they had forgotten to fill the some gas in the factory!!
Old 06-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Banned

C230 SS
Thanks!! I will try that out. I know i tested it yesterday. it was 70 and i had everything on Manual. A/C off, Auto Off, and turned to 64 the lowest, and to 4, and hot air was coming out. Want to get a setting where cool air comes in and circulates, instead of having the A/C on.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:52 PM

keep the ac on. if the ac off light is on that means ur air conditioner is off, as in ac econ, as in no ac. so make sure ur ac is on. meaning make sure the ac off button is not activated. so if you are turning everything on and ur ac is off, then ur ac will be off. leaving your ac on may waste more gas, but ac off will not get your car cold... that's if you;re trying to get the car cold, if you want to use ac off, then ur car prob won't be getting any colder than the outside temp+fanspeed...
Old 06-20-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Another problem that you might experience when getting into a car that has been sitting in the sun is with the residual heat soaked up by the ventilation system. If you like to keep AC off (as I do), this heat will take several minutes to dissipate, during which time the system will be blowing hot or warm air.

Setting your thermostat to 64 when the outside temperature is 70 should guarantee that the system blows unheated air (other than above problem). However, I suggest picking a temperature you are comfortable with and setting the thermostat there. The MB climate control system is pretty good. Trying to control the ventilation air temperature manually with the thermostat seems a bit pointless.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Banned

C230 SS
Thank you for the input.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:04 AM

MB C230K
When I first got my MB I was "shocked" about the low level of fresh air coming in. On my previous car, I never had to run the AC to defog my windows as I had ample outside air coming in.

I think you're running into the same problem - I don't think the fresh air, forced air ventilation is all that great on this car. Just crank up the fan speed - that might help.

--Steffen
Old 06-23-2003, 01:12 AM
Banned

C230 SS
Yup that was what I wanted to say. I also have a Mazda Protege 5 and notice that there was alot more fresh air coming in. And when I drive the Benz it feels stuffy.