C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sun visor mirror flap/door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Sun visor mirror flap/door

Not sure if others have or having this issue but the little door covering the visor mirror broke off. Seems that the small pin sheared off. As I mentioned in many of my pervious posts that the only issue I have with this car are the plastic pieces and would have expect better from MB on this front.

I called the dealer to see the cost of the plastic flap and this part is not available, you have to buy the complete visor for $208 + the mandatory airbag warning sticker for another $11 (I have since removed mine). $219 for a 3" x 5" flat plastic door...I think not.

being an avid sailor I got out my trusty West Systems SIX10 epoxy, 403 micro fibre filler and some of my gelcoat dye. Mixed the epoxy with the micro fibre in to a thick paste and then added the colour. Put a blob on the end and let it cure for about 32hours in front of the heating vent (warm air speeds up the process). then with a metal nail file (aggressive grit) I filed it into a pin resembling the initial one. Used my vernier to ensure it will be the right diameter. Popped it back into the visor (you have to bend/flex it so that the pins get in to the holder as they are longer than the opening space.

I have posted elsewhere my engine cover repair https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ngine-bay.html using the same system and it was flawless and a year later is still working despite the high hear from the motor. The West Systems SIX10 epoxy in a chalking tube is excellent and so useful and well worth the $25 cost. Don't bother with the 5 min epoxy as it does not have the strength, longevity or the other parameters that West has.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/new-six10-epoxy-adhesive/
specs: http://www.gougeonbrothers.com/Six10...Properties.pdf

Attached are pictures of the final repair, upside and underneath (the original pin has a slight bevel on the bottom)
Attached Thumbnails Sun visor mirror flap/door-img_2195.jpg   Sun visor mirror flap/door-img_2196.jpg   Sun visor mirror flap/door-img_2199.jpg  

Last edited by Boom vang; 01-29-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203
this JUST happened to me this weekend...

i'm not sure if i'm as handy as you.. but i'm going to try your fix.

thanks for posting this
Old 03-10-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Happened to mine as well. Don't know if I have the know-how to mix epoxy, dye the mix, and mold it to look like OEM. Darn, and I was about to call my stealership to see if I could just buy the mirror cover by itself.

Cintoman
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 AM

02 C32
My door just fell off into my wife's lap. I was gonna try a wrecking yard for a used one but thanx very much for the DIY instructions. I certainly will not be buying a new visor...
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM

mb e 320
sun visor door repair

Originally Posted by Boom vang
Not sure if others have or having this issue but the little door covering the visor mirror broke off. Seems that the small pin sheared off. As I mentioned in many of my pervious posts that the only issue I have with this car are the plastic pieces and would have expect better from MB on this front.

I called the dealer to see the cost of the plastic flap and this part is not available, you have to buy the complete visor for $208 + the mandatory airbag warning sticker for another $11 (I have since removed mine). $219 for a 3" x 5" flat plastic door...I think not.

being an avid sailor I got out my trusty West Systems SIX10 epoxy, 403 micro fibre filler and some of my gelcoat dye. Mixed the epoxy with the micro fibre in to a thick paste and then added the colour. Put a blob on the end and let it cure for about 32hours in front of the heating vent (warm air speeds up the process). then with a metal nail file (aggressive grit) I filed it into a pin resembling the initial one. Used my vernier to ensure it will be the right diameter. Popped it back into the visor (you have to bend/flex it so that the pins get in to the holder as they are longer than the opening space.

I have posted elsewhere my engine cover repair https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ngine-bay.html using the same system and it was flawless and a year later is still working despite the high hear from the motor. The West Systems SIX10 epoxy in a chalking tube is excellent and so useful and well worth the $25 cost. Don't bother with the 5 min epoxy as it does not have the strength, longevity or the other parameters that West has.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/new-six10-epoxy-adhesive/
specs: http://www.gougeonbrothers.com/Six10...Properties.pdf

Attached are pictures of the final repair, upside and underneath (the original pin has a slight bevel on the bottom)
Very industrious. Did the light work once you created the hinge?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
I just found an appropriately thick piece of copper wire, drilled a hole in the flap where the pin broke off; then put a drop of superglue in the hole and inserted the piece of wire trimmed so that it sticked out as far as the pin did.