C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 - Is the manual as notchy as all the mags say it is?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-21-2002, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
That's definitely not cool. Bring your car in ASAP! No I haven't had that problem- ever. I have heard of people (usually with old cars and the tranny is shot) experiencing this, but that is by no means normal or acceptable and something is seriously wrong with your transmission.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:17 AM

C220CDI
I already posted something on my troubles with the 6speed manual box on my 220CDI coupe. The box was replaced under warranty at 2K miles, because of really bad gearchange between 1>2 & 2>1, sometimes it just doesn't go in at all.

New gearbox is marginally better, but still not good enough. Dealer has tried a different grade of GB lubricant, which has improved things once it's warm, but from cold it is still bad.

Dealer now in discussion with MBtech UK, to decide next step... I'll keep you posted of what they decide to do about it

BTW, what is C7? I have the 'evolution' pack is it the same thing?
Old 02-22-2002, 09:03 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by dcl_C220CDI
BTW, what is C7? I have the 'evolution' pack is it the same thing?
It's the US version of the Evolution option, though I'm not sure they are completely identical.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by Steve H.
During acceleration, I miss 3 to 4, slipping instead into 6th. Part of the problem is I hit the gas pretty hard in 3rd so the tranny has a natural tendency to go to 6th at that speed. On a down shift after a turn (I use the brakes coming into a turn; see previous threads on subject of downshifting) I sometimes miss 6 or 5th into 3rd and have to feel around for the right gear. I haven't had that problem in 4 other cars with manuals.

I have a feeling that some kind of speed sensitive system in built into the linkage. If I shift at low rpm I have less trouble than at high rpm (>4500).
I've NEVER missed 3 to 4 to end up in 6th. This seems almost impossable without trying seeing as 3 to 4 is just a straight back action with no left or right spring tension to overcome. I feel like I have to go "out-of-the-way" to get to 6th from 3rd: straight back to neutral-right-straight back again. Maybe I'm not accelerating hard enough as you stated.

I've done 1 to 4 a few times because I didn't keep the lever to the left enough and the spring pulled it back to the center gate, dropping it in 4.

This is my first manny since I was a teenager and I have a question. Often, while accelerating easily or just going into neutral, I wont use the clutch to get out of gear. I just let off the gas and nudge the stick out when it becomes free (rev-matching?). Once out of gear I push the clutch in and engage the next higher gear. The shifts are very smooth and I NEVER force or yank/pop the stick out of gear. Should I stop doing this and always use the clutch to get out of gear? Does this save or cause any wear and tear on the cluth/tranny?
Old 02-22-2002, 01:04 PM

2002 C230K Sport Coupe M6 C5 desert silver
Irrespective of our individual driving styles, I do find it interesting that the reoccurring criticism by professional reviewers is the "vague" gear shift in these cars (eg. Motorweek review; anyone see it by the way; I only read the text on the website). If they find it difficult to work with, it should come as no surprise that some of us run into problems occasionally as well. I will add that although I may miss a shift every once in a while, I really like this car and would buy another in a second.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor
The first time I sat in a C230, it was a manual but didn't have C7. I immediately thought to myself, "This shift won't be here for long." Well, when I got in MY car, I immediately noticed the shorter throw on the C7 shifter. Yippee!!!

The only comparison I can make is that of the stick action in my '02 C230 and my '99 Corvette with a B&M ripper short throw. The B&M is pretty radical. It's tight as tight can be Not easy to shift, but boy is it precise. You can actually hear it 'click' into some of the gears as you're physically shifting into them.

The action of the C7 shifter totally reminds me of the B&M, but in a refined way. Going from 1st to 2nd requires you lean to the left a little or the spring takes you down to 4th. And 2nd to 3rd is a dream Simply push up on the stick and the spring guides you into 3rd.

3rd to 4th straight down. 4th to 5th feels to me like the shift with the most play. This doesn't affect the transition though. 5th to 6th is the opposite of 1st to 2nd

Awesome car. Period.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:29 AM

2002 C230, 6 Speed, Bose Stereo, 6 CD Changer
Angry

I definitely would have waited for the C7 (evolution) package if I had known about the better shifting. I was at my dealer recently, a few weeks old C240 was there and the owner couldn't even get it into first gear. The service writer was in the car trying to slam it into gear. Ouch!
My C230 coupe shifting hasn't improved any with age, I have about 2700 miles on it now, mostly freeway, so little shifting. I find myself skipping gears when I'm commuting sometimes, turning my 6 speed into a three or four speed when I'm not in a hurry.
Mine doesn't like to go into first smoothly all the time, requiring extra pressure, or shifting into second, then first before starting out. I find that fairly common with manual transmissions though.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:02 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
when I test drove the C230K manual, it doesn't have the C7 package. I didn't think it was bad at all. Then when I picked up mine with C7, I immediate felt the difference but was not sure about it because last time I drove the noon-c7 manual was a week ago. So far I am happy with the tranny. Only thought the clutch engage too soon and too fast, but it's breaking in nicely now at 2300 miles.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:07 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by goodkat

The action of the C7 shifter totally reminds me of the B&M, but in a refined way. Going from 1st to 2nd requires you lean to the left a little or the spring takes you down to 4th. And 2nd to 3rd is a dream Simply push up on the stick and the spring guides you into 3rd.

3rd to 4th straight down. 4th to 5th feels to me like the shift with the most play. This doesn't affect the transition though. 5th to 6th is the opposite of 1st to 2nd

Awesome car. Period.
My thoughts exactly! Can't think of a car I'd rather have right now in this price bracket.