C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A change is coming...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Just got back from test driving this. Pretty awesome for an SUV. We drove both the 18" wheel standard FX35 and the one with 20" wheels and sport suspension. The 20" was MUCH better. It really hugged the corners with almost no body roll. The ride didn't seem to stiff. It was worlds better than the worst riding sports car I've ever driven: an early 90's 5.0 Mustang GT. Now comes the wait We've taken a big hit on the C240's depreciation and need to pay it down faster than it continues to lose value. At least the first year drop is over.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:05 PM
JAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
If you're going to get a non-Benz SUV, go for the LEX. Ford ownes nearly 50% of Infiniti/Nissan, and who the heck wants that crap?

I loved my ML, lots of stupid issues, but after driving all of the luxury SUVs, it was the best handling of them all.

Next aquisition will undoubtebly be a G-Wagon!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

Re: FX45

Originally posted by MapleOne

I would never buy this overpriced Nissan.
hey... there are people stupid people who praise Toyota... why not Nizssan?
Old 07-03-2003, 06:20 PM
JAM

SL600
At least Toyota/LEX is not owned by Ford and have some product ethics/integrity. Might as well by a Ford Focus....
Old 07-03-2003, 07:12 PM
MBS

2002 C230K
Originally posted by JAM
If you're going to get a non-Benz SUV, go for the LEX. Ford ownes nearly 50% of Infiniti/Nissan, and who the heck wants that crap?

I loved my ML, lots of stupid issues, but after driving all of the luxury SUVs, it was the best handling of them all.

Next aquisition will undoubtebly be a G-Wagon!

Actually Ford owns none of Nissan. They are owned by Renault.
Perhaps you were thinking of Mazda.
Sorry, didn't mean to be ****
Old 07-03-2003, 09:18 PM
JAM

SL600
Yep, my bad, I was thinking Mazda... DUH

Anyway, how anyone could go from a Benz to anything else (other than a Maybach) is beyond me.

I'd rather drive a 10 year old Benz than any new car.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jam,
I think the ML is UGLY. Very uninspired styling. All the other SUV's in the FX's class look practically the same as far as I'm concerned. I'm constatnly mistaking the Lexus for an Acura, and vice versa. I did not like the FX's styling at first, but I have grown fond of it. To each his own, yes? Boy, don't I WISH Ford owned Nissan! I get a family discount on Ford products. We got several thousand dollars off the Expedition we used to own. I'm certainly no Ford basher. The '98 Crown Vic I drive VERY hard on a nearly daily basis has finally had some small issues at 120K miles! I thought it was bulletproof! As far going from a Benz to anything else, well... the only thing I don't like about my C240 is the "hunting" automatic tranny and "turbo lag"- like acceleration. I like the fit, finish, styling and comfort. With my limited time in the FX, it seems to have all the pro's of the MB, but none of the con's!
Old 07-05-2003, 01:28 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
FX35 or 45 are both hot!...the exaust note from the 3.5 280hp power plant match with the exaust on the z/g35/fx is amazing. Sounds just like a sports car.

one thing that I have to say is that FX has the most interesting design in it's catagory, but at the same time it's the smallest for cargo and probably worse in off-road ability for a SUV. BUT consider that it's cheaper even than the ML350, it is a awesome choice.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have NO plans to take the FX off-road
We drove the E320 several months ago as a possible replacement for our C240 (we knew from the outset that we'd only keep it a year or two) before we decided to go back to an SUV. Although they are in completely different categories, the FX "seems" to have more interior (seating) room, more possible cargo space, more horsepower and better handling (with sport package) for several thousand dollars less than the E320! And being Japanese, its probably more reliable too And Allstate said our insurance would be less with the FX than our current C240!
Old 07-05-2003, 04:18 PM
JAM

SL600
Well, I have to admit that just before I bought my ML, I almost bought a LEX RX300. Remember at the time the only Infinity out was the QX4 (P-finder).... The lex seemed to drive the best. I did not care for the styling of the ML at all, but considering we have always liked our Benzs, especially regarding safety, we drove it. Fantastic! I basically learned to live with the design. Plus, the ML is the lowest price car or SUV to insure according to nat. ins. stats--all because of the over-engineered safety.

The primary reason I would never by a Ford, is safety. Load it up with all the a-bags and ABS as possible, and it is still not engineered with safety in mind.

The Japanese do seem to have electronic reliability nailed down moreso than Benz does, but then again, the Benz is a more complex, more electronically driven vehicle.

I tried going back to a car other than a Benz (My AC TL), I dumped out of it after 1 year. It was a nice car, very reliable, but not a Benz.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I tried going back to a car other than a Benz (My AC TL), I dumped out of it after 1 year. It was a nice car, very reliable, but not a Benz.
After owning a Benz, it would be hard to go to one of the other brands. I honestly don't see Acura as a competitor. FWD? Forgetaboutit! They truly do seem like glorified Accord's, and the styling is sooooo boring! If I was getting another 4 door car in my budget, I'd get either (in order) a Lexus GS300, Audi A6, BMW 5'er or Infiniti G35.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:38 PM
JAM

SL600
Agreed. An AC cannot compare to a Benz--then again, nothing can...

That's why I got rid of the AC, definately a glorified Accord. I only got it for the NAVI, and that wasn't enough to keep me in the car. It really felt terrible compared to the 1997 E320 and even my 1995 C280, both of which I had when I got the TL, and both of which I still had after I dumped the TL.

LEX actually has the same problem being a glorified Camry/Avalon, but they do a better job of marketing themselves as a real luxury brand. I suppose if I got anything else than a Benz (which is highly unlikely) it would be a BMW.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:01 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I don't care for the 98-99 ML's plastic body cladding. Make me think "Rubbermaid". Same goes for the Avalanche. The RX didn't make the list for styling and a lack of cargo space. X5, the same reason (cargo). We did like the LX470, though it's a bit larger than the ML. I've had both 4Runners and Explorers before the ML and neither compares to the ride the ML exhibits. I love my ML and haven't found anything that I would choose over it, yet.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LEX actually has the same problem being a glorified Camry/Avalon
Maybe the Camry-looking, front-wheel-drive ES, but the RWD GS is nothing like any other Toyota (except for the engine)

An AC cannot compare to a Benz--then again, nothing can...
I disagree After having a Benz, the Benz-mystique has worn off. Yes, it is comfortable. Yes, it has good fit/finish. Most people who have never owned a Benz think they are "perfect". They aren't. The thing that makes MB interiors "better" than most others is the lack of that "plastic" look so common in most Japanese cars. I REALLY like AUDI interiors. BMW is a close third. Lexusa and Infiniti are neck and neck, with a little too much plastic, and the too-trendy silver console in the new Infinitis. I'l proabably get an aftermarket wood kit for the FX. The FX (an SUV with sport package) handles as good, if not better than my C240. The leather and seating comfort in the FX is just as nice, if not MORE comforatable than my C240. We are relieved to get out of the C240 after several hours on the road. Ouch! They definitly need better lower back support. The quality of the FX seems every bit as good as our C240. Of course, I'll come back here after we've had the FX to let everyone know what my real world experiences are
Old 07-06-2003, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Jim Banville
We are relieved to get out of the C240 after several hours on the road. Ouch! They definitly need better lower back support. The quality of the FX seems every bit as good as our C240.
Uh-Oh. Someone's switching to the Dark Side.

Our 230 has very uncomfortable seats too for long-distance drives. It used to be very painful before I started stretching every day, but now it's just mildly uncomfortable. If I shift around every now and then while driving, it's OK.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On a whim, we decided to drive the new VW Tourage, or whatever you call it, since it is in the same class as the FX. It looks pretty good from the outside, Sort of like a FAT Passat The interior LOOKED really nice. I love the blue and red lights. Much better than the same 'ole amber in our Benz. The seats! They were hard as rocks . They had NO bolsters anywhere. Very non-sporty. We drove the 220HP V6. Well my wife drove - I left my license at home. It rode fairly well, but couldn't match the FX w/ sport package. The V8 version of the Tourage has sport setting for the gas shocks, but we didn't drive it. It seems a little pricey for a VW. My wife said the V6 didn't seem much more powerful than our C240. Due to weight vs. HP, she's probably right! And for the truly ****, the navigation screen in the V8 had a stuck blue pixel! GASP
Old 07-12-2003, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Jim Banville
And for the truly ****, the navigation screen in the V8 had a stuck blue pixel! GASP
Nuts. Guess i know where i stand. Stuck pixels drive me absolutely freaking nuts. It takes an inordinate amount of effort to not just stare at them and seethe (gotta rest between the tirades of jumping, yelling and cursing at them...). OK, maybe not quite _that_ bad, but still.

So you're sticking with the original plan, no VW?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, if the VW isn't powerful enough, you should try its sibling, the Porsche Cayenne with the forced induction V8.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, if the VW isn't powerful enough, you should try its sibling, the Porsche Cayenne with the forced induction V8.
Oh if money were no object...

So you're sticking with the original plan, no VW?
Most likely. Wife loves the 280 HP . Plus it does look, err...umm...different . I asked the salesman at VW if Audi would have a variant of the Tourage, but he said he had asked the same question and was told no. I assume if they did, it's V6 pacakage would be "sportier" than the VW's V6. The V8 was a little out of our price range.