C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

2006 C230 - Car loses power while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb c230 2006
2006 C230 - Car loses power while driving

Has anyone had an issue with their car losing all power while driving? Over the last week or two on three separate occasions, my car lost power while I was driving. All the accessory lights came on with total loss of power. However, within a second or less, the car powers back up without missing a beat and drives just fine. What is this all about?

This all started after I got CEL code of P0456 - Evaporator Leak (small leak). I am getting the car smoked tmrw for that. Is it possible that this has something to do with my car losing power? Not a clue on my end. Any advice would be great! Love working on my car myself!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
What mileage is on the car now? If you are getting no codes I would be suspicious you might be loosing fuel pressure momentarily. Might be a sign of pump or filter trouble.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM

2006 C230 Sedan
Hmmz... That sounds fimilar, as if I had watch this on some movie. Driving in a dense forrest, late at night. Saw some blinking links in the sky, all of a sudden no power and total loss of power to the car. Car starts working normal after a few secs. Yup, an alien encounter.

Better scan to see if you were prob. Haha..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 PM

mb c230 2006
Car losing power...

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
What mileage is on the car now? If you are getting no codes I would be suspicious you might be loosing fuel pressure momentarily. Might be a sign of pump or filter trouble.
I have about 59,000 miles. I had the fuel pump changed about 8 months ago. It was a reg. mechanic that I used in an emergency situation, so who knows what he did. I'll have the guy who is smoking the car tmrw take a look, as I still can't pull a code for this issue.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM

mb c230 2006
thanks for your help with everything thus far.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM

mb c230 2006
Update for Glyn...

Hey, Glyn

P0456:
I took the car in today regarding the P0456 code. They smoked the car and could not find anything. They checked the Purge Control Valve, Fuel Neck, Tightened Fuel Sending Unit Caps and still nothing. They cleared the CEL and said if it came back on again, the ENGINE MODULE many need to be updated. What the heck does that mean? It was noted on my repair bill and not a verbal discussion.

Car Loses Power While Driving:
Did not get a chance to address this today due to a work meeting. But I am dropping the car off tmrw so they can drive the car and have it happen to them... hopefully. Any thoughts on what it may be? Crank Position Sensor? Battery? Alternator? Bad Computer Module? Pretty amazed that no one in this forum has had this problem, due to the lack of response. I'm afraid I may be driving this car and get rear ended. Not funny at all! Maybe someone has had this problem and hopefully I can get this issue resolved, so I might help others. We shall see. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
This might be a long shot and probably isn't a issue but worth a shot. Do you have a lot of keys on your key change that your mercedes key is on? My aunt had a similar issue were her car would loose power buy driving. She spent thousands trying to get it repaired and non of the mercedes technicians could figure out what was wrong. She was just about to give up on the car when my uncle noticed how heavy her key chain was. She tried driving around for a while without any keys on her key chain except her mercedes key and she never had the problem again. What seemed to be happening was the weight of all her other keys and other stuff on her key chain was pulling down her key and causing an issue and all. She had a 2002 S class and her key was pretty similar to the ones we have. If you have a pretty heavy key chain you could try that. Good luck, hope you figure it out.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM

mb c230 2006
update...

Glyn,

Got the car back from my mechanic today regarding the lose of power while driving. He thinks it is the CPS. He said if MB were a restaurant, then the CPS would be the most popular item on the menu and they have bins of old ones. Seems like a very common problem. He is going to re-install the old one if it isn't the problem, but felt pretty sure it was the CPS. He is charging me 180.00 to do the job. My question to you is, can I do this job myself? If so, do you have DIY instructions for a 2006 c230? Also, where can I buy one (OE MB) for cheap? Do I buy one or does my car have two? I would love to do this job myself. Thanks!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Your symptoms are not typical CPS but it could be that. CPS usually makes the car hard to start. Here is the CPS held in place by by one torx but it is a real bugger to get there & you are working blind. RMeuropean can provide you with one.

See here for instructions.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...placement.html
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM

mb c230 2006
Hello gents!

Got the car back today after my INDY who replaced the CPS. Got home and the CEL came back on. The code - P0335 - CPS. I can't believe this! I am out of thoughts and money on this one. Is there one sensor or two? Any thoughts on this? I am at my wits end on this one. I am sure someone else has had this problem on this site.