C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Shopping for C230 info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C350 Coupe
Shopping for C230 info

Hi there. This is my first post here as I have just begun my car shopping experience. I’m currently looking at the C230 Sports coup.

Here’s how I’m thinking of getting it:
Pewter Silver Metallic/ Charcoal Leather

Packages: C4, C5, & C7.

Options: Automatic, CD changer, & Heated Seats.

Accessories: Illuminated Doorsills, Cargo net floor/sill, mud flaps, & floor mats.

I have several questions:

1. I’ve read that the C320 Sports coup is basically the C230 with a 6-cylinder engine. Is this true and can someone offer any other differences and or a comparison between the 4 and 6 cylinder?
2. The command system – what exactly is it and what does it do? Is it worth the cost?
3. Are there any features that you think I have over looked?
4. Are there any known differences between the ‘03 and ’04?
5. From what I’ve read it’s nearly impossible to find a custom C230 on a dealer’s lot. If I place an order soon will I be able to get an ’03 or will I have to get an ’04? How long does it take to get an order ed C230?
6. Are the C230s discounting at all?
Old 06-30-2003, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Shopping for C230 info

Here’s how I’m thinking of getting it:
Pewter Silver Metallic/ Charcoal Leather

Packages: C4, C5, & C7.

Options: Automatic, CD changer, & Heated Seats.

Accessories: Illuminated Doorsills, Cargo net floor/sill, mud flaps, & floor mats.

I have several questions:

1. I’ve read that the C320 Sports coup is basically the C230 with a 6-cylinder engine. Is this true and can someone offer any other differences and or a comparison between the 4 and 6 cylinder?

Yes it is true and the major difference is in power.

2. The command system – what exactly is it and what does it do? Is it worth the cost?

It is a cd-rom based navigation system which incorporates a radio turner. It can be used to control the cd-changer and telephone. When not navigating the cd player can be used to play music cd's. The most cost effective way to get COMAND is to have MbenzNL (Steve Krabbenborg) install one for you. Please search the forum. There are many threads about this.

3. Are there any features that you think I have over looked?

If another person of a different size is going to drive the car regularly, consider C1.

4. Are there any known differences between the ‘03 and ’04?

There will be a change in the dashboard and a couple of colors will be replaced with new colors.

5. From what I’ve read it’s nearly impossible to find a custom C230 on a dealer’s lot. If I place an order soon will I be able to get an ’03 or will I have to get an ’04? How long does it take to get an order ed C230?

2004's are already in production. Orders can take from two to six months depending on options and your dealer's allocations and standing with MBUSA.

6. Are the C230s discounting at all?

Yes, the amount depends on your market.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C350 Coupe
replies

When I asked for the differences between the C230 and the C320 sports coups, I wanted to know what the minor differences are. Please go into more detail.

Is the 6-cylinder engine worth the increased price? is the Hoursepower increase noticable?

Why can’t I use the command system to navigate and listen to a CD at the same time? Is the navigation program on CD and the unit must use the CD to navigate? If the navigational program is on CD, can I get the entire US on CD or at least the northeast US on CD? I’d hate to have to swap CDs to take a multi state trip.

I’m thinking of getting the CD changer, can I use the navigation program and listen to a CD in the changer?

What’s the benefit of Teleade and would I need a subscription to a service once I get the unit? If so, what are the costs?

Is the radio in the C230 satellite radio compatible? Does the radio denote more information about a playing CD than just which CD and track?

Anyone know if the pewter metalic color will be available on the '04 C230?

Michael

Last edited by BeaverMjr; 06-30-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Re: replies

Originally posted by BeaverMjr
When I asked for the differences between the C230 and the C320 sports coups, I wanted to know what the minor differences are. Please go into more detail.

Is the 6-cylinder engine worth the increased price? is the Hoursepower increase noticable?

Why can’t I use the command system to navigate and listen to a CD at the same time? Is the navigation program on CD and the unit must use the CD to navigate? If the navigational program is on CD, can I get the entire US on CD or at least the northeast US on CD? I’d hate to have to swap CDs to take a multi state trip.

I’m thinking of getting the CD changer, can I use the navigation program and listen to a CD in the changer?

What’s the benefit of Teleade and would I need a subscription to a service once I get the unit? If so, what are the costs?

Is the radio in the C230 satellite radio compatible? Does the radio denote more information about a playing CD than just which CD and track?

Anyone know if the pewter metalic color will be available on the '04 C230?

Michael
If I am not mistaken the only difference betweent the 230 and 320 is the engine, all other options are still optional.

The US map is on several CD's. In the case of NJ, my state, its actually 2 CDs...and yes, the Nav CD needs to be in to use the map, however I am not sure if there is more then one CD slot...I don't have command.

I assume you can use the cd changer and the navi at the same time.

The sat radio can be added after to any car...what is displayed will be on a seperate LCD screen depending on which company you choose. The car will not be Sat radio ready for a plug and play job.

Erik
Old 06-30-2003, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 Sport, 2003 C32 AMG, 65 FFR Cobra, 2006 Cooper S
Michael,
As I understand it, the Comand system is CD based, not DVD and thus requires the CD data base to be in the unit for access. The Comand unit has only a single CD slot. When NAV functions are required, the unit will have no music CD ability. If the MB CD changer is installed, then music can be played thru the changer, and the Comand unit will be in NAV.
I wanted the Comand for my wifes new 03 Coupe, but they were back ordered on that option for 12weeks min. We ordered without it, (6week delivery) and I am now having MBenzNL (steve) install one for us next week locally. It will end up as quite a savings.

As for the V6 vs the supercharged 1.8L4,
I drove both and the power delivery is very smooth on the 320. IMHO, it is noticeable. Overall, the sc4 performs quite nicely though, and the better milage is a plus. Our car almost pushed 30mpg on its first city/hwy tank!

My guess is that the Pewter will be offered as it was new for 2003.

As Lynn mentioned, I love the C1 package. NO more his/her seat fumbling The keys even remember who to set the seat for!

They're wonderful cars.
Best of luck.