C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rain sensor and wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rain sensor and wipers

Started the car this morning in the garage and the wipers gave the one sweep across the dry
glass because I'd had them in the auto position for the rain yesterday and had forgotten to turn
them off when pulling into the garage.

The question is does anybody know if the dealer can change the program through the "norway"
mode (as the alarm chirp and stereo settings can be changed) so that the wipers don't perform
the check swipe on a dry window possibly scratching it and then the wipers could be permanently left in the auto mode and the feature would be even better.

Anybody tried Redline oil in the gearbox? It worked wonders for my Miata

Still love the car!!! 2500 miles and counting

Repost - accidently posted on 202 board
Old 02-21-2002, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I always figured the single wipe is a reminder/warning that you've got auto mode set. What if you entered a carwash with auto mode set? Not cool. (Oh well, no one on this board will go to a carwash anyway, right? ) I've left them on one time myself.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
I tried the rain sensor before but I much prefer a bi-weekly application of RAIN-X.

that way there is zero possibility of the wipers scratching the windshield.

Drive FASTER...it works better !
Old 02-21-2002, 04:44 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Speaking of rain-sensors... Has anyone noticed that the rain sensor works great as long as the windshield is fairly clean. During winter seasson, where I'm located, the windshield stays clean for about 30 seconds when its snowing/raining. When the windshield gets a little dirty the rain sensor swithces over to run continiously, even though it's not necessary at all. This "problem" is temporary solved by using the window-washer. BUT, kind of annoying to have to use the window washer twice a minute...
Old 02-21-2002, 08:11 PM

2001 CLK320
Rain sensor getting fooled

I had this problem with the "smeary Bosch blade" issue. My car was only 3 weeks old when this symptom developed.

Changing out the rubber blade insert with another brand cured that problem for me. It got so bad that driving at night in the rain was futile for seeing anything.

I went with an Trico brand and it works great.

PS - with the auto swipe on startup. I wouldn't want to leave them on all the time - imagine starting to clean the window and having the ignition simply on (engine running or not). You go to wipe the windshield and get your hand smacked by the wiper.

I have a CLK, which uses a mono-wiper setup - this thing moves fast and would probably break some fingers or sprain them at the very least - I'm not going to find this out.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:42 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Re: Rain sensor getting fooled

Originally posted by Hal H
I had this problem with the "smeary Bosch blade" issue. My car was only 3 weeks old when this symptom developed.

Changing out the rubber blade insert with another brand cured that problem for me. It got so bad that driving at night in the rain was futile for seeing anything.

I went with an Trico brand and it works great.
Ok, so this problem is to blaim on the blade. Thanks for the tip on changing it and for suggesting a brand that really works as intended.