C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Swapping C230 Sedan and C230 coupe suspension???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Swapping C230 Sedan and C230 coupe suspension???

So I bought a 2002 C230 coupe about a month ago and I also have a 2005 c230SS sedan. The coupe has Bilstein PSS9 Coil overs already on it and the sedan has stock suspension. The coupe has aftermarket 18x8.5 wheels all around and the sedan has aftermarket 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels. What I wanted to do was swap the suspension on the two and put the coil overs on the sedan and the stock suspension on the coupe. I was wondering if that is possible? Will the two be compatible? Also I got quoted some pretty high prices on the labor, one place said 550 and the other said 700 for the whole job, Does anyone know places that will do it cheeper in the SF bay area? I don't know much about suspensions and all but I saw a DIY to put on coil overs and have friends who have installed coil overs on there hondas and all, would this be relatively similar to doing it on a Japanese car or very different?
Thanks in advanced!
Old 03-27-2012 | 07:51 PM

CL203
Dunno on this one, but I wanted to chime in to say two things.
1. I didn't know you picked up a coupe, what's the details on it and will you be bringing it to any bay area meet ups?
2. If this doesn't work out, this guy right here is a SFBay coupe that would kill to pick up some Bilstein CO's. That being said, I hope it does work out as your SS is already clean but would look great dropped.
Old 03-27-2012 | 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Yep...theyre perfectly compatible.

The original struts on my coupe wore out last summer. So I found a local deal with a guy selling his OEM 05 sedan stock suspension because he had installed coilovers. Bought those and mounted the springs and struts on my coupe about a year ago, no problem.

The 05 sedan suspension is lower than the 2002 coupe OEM suspension, but compared to your coilovers, it will raise a car a bit.

You could do it yourself...fairly simple. You will need a special ring tool though to remove the locking nut on the top of the front struts, but if youre just replacing the entire strut + spring assembly, its a super simple job. No need to compress/decompress the spring to remove it from the strut etc.
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CaliC23k
Dunno on this one, but I wanted to chime in to say two things.
1. I didn't know you picked up a coupe, what's the details on it and will you be bringing it to any bay area meet ups?
2. If this doesn't work out, this guy right here is a SFBay coupe that would kill to pick up some Bilstein CO's. That being said, I hope it does work out as your SS is already clean but would look great dropped.
I got the coupe a month ago from another form member who was selling his car in vegas and wanted to get ride of his coils and wheels and get stock ones for a free trade, I was going to drive out to vegas and get them off him, saw he was selling his car at a pretty good price so I said why not. Flew out there the next day bought the car and drove home haha. And I would probably bring the sedan to meets because that is the car I do most of my mods too and am planning on doing a lot of mods to in the future but might bring the coupe to a few. I haven't gone to any of the meets yet but planning on starting soon, which meets do you go to? And thanks but if it doesn't work I would probably end up keeping it on the coupe, Any pics of your car?
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jcnash
Yep...theyre perfectly compatible.

The original struts on my coupe wore out last summer. So I found a local deal with a guy selling his OEM 05 sedan stock suspension because he had installed coilovers. Bought those and mounted the springs and struts on my coupe about a year ago, no problem.

The 05 sedan suspension is lower than the 2002 coupe OEM suspension, but compared to your coilovers, it will raise a car a bit.

You could do it yourself...fairly simple. You will need a special ring tool though to remove the locking nut on the top of the front struts, but if youre just replacing the entire strut + spring assembly, its a super simple job. No need to compress/decompress the spring to remove it from the strut etc.

Sounds good! I would rather do this with the help of my friend who just put coil overs on his integra because he knows how to do them and all. Buying him lunch to do it would be a lot nicer then paying 550-700$ to have a shop do it. Is there any down side to doing it your self compared to a shop or will it be just as safe and the same quality?
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
Its just 4 bolts holding it in. one on top of the strut, one holding the sway link, two bolted to the hub. You'll need a torx wrench to remove the sway link nut.
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Peydidy
Sounds good! I would rather do this with the help of my friend who just put coil overs on his integra because he knows how to do them and all. Buying him lunch to do it would be a lot nicer then paying 550-700$ to have a shop do it. Is there any down side to doing it your self compared to a shop or will it be just as safe and the same quality?
Its better to do it yourself...can guarantee quality that way and $500 for the swap job is ridiculously high! If you decide to remove the spring from the struts, just be extra careful with the spring compressors...the energy stored in a compressed spring can take your hand off if it comes loose, but other than that its a pretty straightforward job.
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:34 PM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
i told u man... i got my coilover off another forum member too and he had a C320 sedan, a lot of people say its easy to do so i don't think you are risking anything since you have 2 cars anyway when you take the shock off, check the condition of it too if there is any leak.. which i don't think it does or need to be revalve if not, just bring it to Darwin at SonicMS he will take care of everything for you. i let him do the whole job for me while i was in his office playing world of warcraft the whole time.
Old 03-27-2012 | 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jcnash
Its better to do it yourself...can guarantee quality that way and $500 for the swap job is ridiculously high! If you decide to remove the spring from the struts, just be extra careful with the spring compressors...the energy stored in a compressed spring can take your hand off if it comes loose, but other than that its a pretty straightforward job.
Sounds good, Thanks

Originally Posted by kirax2
i told u man... i got my coilover off another forum member too and he had a C320 sedan, a lot of people say its easy to do so i don't think you are risking anything since you have 2 cars anyway when you take the shock off, check the condition of it too if there is any leak.. which i don't think it does or need to be revalve if not, just bring it to Darwin at SonicMS he will take care of everything for you. i let him do the whole job for me while i was in his office playing world of warcraft the whole time.
O I didn't know you got them off a sedan. But ya I called sonic MS because I remember you mentioning them and they quoted me 550 for the job. Thanks for the tip