Front Bumper Damage - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Front Bumper Damage

Reply

 
 
Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MBGirl2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe
Front Bumper Damage

Good afternoon,

My MIL backed into my car, with her truck that has a hitch, and put a deep scratch/gouge in my front bumper. I've received a few quotes from reputable body shops. One would replace the front bumper cover and paint, and the other two will repair it and paint. Currently waiting on another estimate.

I'm not sure if I should have it replaced, or just have it repaired (removed, repaired, painted).

Below is a picture of the damage, it's a little deeper than what the picture is showing. Also, the paint cracked around the side of the headlight.


Thanks,
Sharlene
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper Damage-photo-1-edited.jpg  
MBGirl2007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
  #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
phister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 5,054
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Save the money and just get it fixed it doesn't look too bad. Is her insurance going to pay for it? If so tell them to cut you the check for the amount to replace the bumper and repaint and you'll take it to your own shop and just get it fixed and save the rest. Don't let the insurance make the check to the shop.
phister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
  #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MBGirl2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe
My MIL wants to pay in cash and not go through insurance, but she doesn't know how much it is going to be yet. The last time I got backed into by another person, the bumper cover was replaced, their insurance paid, and cut the shop a check, but there was a lot more damage. I'll see what happens when I tell her how much, whether she chooses out of pocket or insurance. For fixing I've been quoted $700 from a small shop to repair, $900 for a bigger shop to repair, and $1200 for another bigger shop to replace.
MBGirl2007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM
  #4
Out Of Control!!
 
tommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Westwood, NJ
Posts: 10,067
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
It doesn't look bad enough to me to warrant replacing. Did the one shop give you any justification for why they recommended that?

Biggest question is how much you like your MIL.
tommy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
  #5
Super Member
 
04mbc230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cali
Posts: 595
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by MBGirl2007 View Post
My MIL wants to pay in cash and not go through insurance, but she doesn't know how much it is going to be yet. The last time I got backed into by another person, the bumper cover was replaced, their insurance paid, and cut the shop a check, but there was a lot more damage. I'll see what happens when I tell her how much, whether she chooses out of pocket or insurance. For fixing I've been quoted $700 from a small shop to repair, $900 for a bigger shop to repair, and $1200 for another bigger shop to replace.
If the other party wants to pay out of pocket. You can do this.

Just bring the car to a body shop. Let them inspect it throughly and give you an estimate. That way, you can't miss anything or wished you seek more.

If the other party refuses, then you can always go back to insurance. Make sure you got their insurance information though, take pictures, note the incident. Get copies of Proof of insurance, registration and driver's license. Those are the main 3 things to get first whenever one get into an accident. Of course, pictures if you have a camera.

Best of luck.
04mbc230 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
  #6
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
96 Saab 900S Conv., 01 330i, 05 C230K, 07 Tahoe LTZ, 07 Silverado Z71
Originally Posted by 04mbc230 View Post
If the other party refuses, then you can always go back to insurance. Make sure you got their insurance information though, take pictures, note the incident. Get copies of Proof of insurance, registration and driver's license. Those are the main 3 things to get first whenever one get into an accident. Of course, pictures if you have a camera.
All good info, but I'm sure OP has all the necessary info as he is talking about his mother-in-law after all.
TexFinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM
  #7
Out Of Control!!
 
tommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Westwood, NJ
Posts: 10,067
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by TexFinn View Post
All good info, but I'm sure OP has all the necessary info as he is talking about his mother-in-law after all.
Watch who you're calling "he".
tommy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
  #8
Super Member
 
04mbc230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cali
Posts: 595
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Watch who you're calling "he".
Well played sir. Well played.
04mbc230 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM
  #9
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
96 Saab 900S Conv., 01 330i, 05 C230K, 07 Tahoe LTZ, 07 Silverado Z71
Oops... Sorry...
TexFinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM
  #10
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 661
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 c230
was your car in an accident prior? Because it looks like the paint is cracking? Or am i just looking at it differently? Bumper paint is not suppose to crack like that because of the flex agent? Or maybe its just a bad picture?
Norwichdelta06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 PM
  #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MBGirl2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by Norwichdelta06 View Post
was your car in an accident prior? Because it looks like the paint is cracking? Or am i just looking at it differently? Bumper paint is not suppose to crack like that because of the flex agent? Or maybe its just a bad picture?
My front bumper cover was replaced a new years ago from another individual backing into me.
MBGirl2007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 PM
  #12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MBGirl2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by 04mbc230 View Post
If the other party wants to pay out of pocket. You can do this.

Just bring the car to a body shop. Let them inspect it throughly and give you an estimate. That way, you can't miss anything or wished you seek more.

If the other party refuses, then you can always go back to insurance. Make sure you got their insurance information though, take pictures, note the incident. Get copies of Proof of insurance, registration and driver's license. Those are the main 3 things to get first whenever one get into an accident. Of course, pictures if you have a camera.

Best of luck.

I've brought my car to 3 body shops. Two say repair, and one said replace. Another body shops I emailed them the photo since I'd need to take off work early for them to inspect my car, said to replace. My MIL is honest, she'll either pay out of pocket, or go through insurance.
MBGirl2007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 PM
  #13
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
white and whiter
just have it repaired. doesn't look too bad in the pic.

those quotes from the body shop are overpriced however. those kind of repair and repaint is $400-450 tops.
FrankW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 AM
  #14
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
phister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 5,054
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
My friends shop would charge around 400 to do it since they would fix the bumper then blend the paint. they would probably paint 1/2-3/4 of the bumper instead of the whole thing and blend the fender too.
phister is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tuner
C-Class (W203)
38
11-08-2017 11:42 AM
djokodallas
C Class (W205)
43
10-08-2016 07:59 PM
Euro
Mercedes Vehicles
23
12-08-2015 05:09 PM
W124addict
E-Class (W124)
4
09-05-2015 12:04 PM
mac911RS4
CL-Class (W216)
0
09-04-2015 01:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: