C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A/C FREON LEAK and REAR BRAKE ADVICE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb c230 2006
A/C FREON LEAK and REAR BRAKE ADVICE

C230 - SPORTS

A/C:

Now the latest:

I took the car in to the dealer today to check about losing freon (leak). This has been going on for a long time now. They finally found the leak areas by pumping DYE into the system. They found the following:

1. Shatter Valve Leakings
2. Seals at A/C Compressor Leaking
3. Expansion Valve

Note: Needs new drier when repairs are performed
What the heck does that mean?

Repair quote: $1,200.00

Now, usually it takes a year for it to become a problem. It starts to go out around summer time when it becomes hot. The dealer charged it for free for me.

Question: Is this something I can do myself? Does anyone have a diagram or something to help me to change the above parts. Where do I buy parts?

BRAKES:

Also, I was told my rear brakes have about 10% life remaining and when I change the brakes, I should change the rotors too. Is this true? If so, what brand of rotors and brakes should I purchase? I looked on this website and found a couple with OEM on it.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is doing fine. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I have a very similar issue with my ac but mine has not had to be recharged yet (well two or three years) The only issue with doing this yourself is you have to get all the freon out of the system before you crack it open to replace the compressor and other things. Then once it is back together you have to pump out all the air and then recharge it.

as for the breaks also try rmeruopean for parts they are easy and you can do that at home if you have any mechanical skills at all you can search on here and find a guide. The rotors don't always have to be replaced it depends on there thickness and condition. Usualy for most the rears are good for two sets of pads but you still should check.