C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New C230 Review by CarTalk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
New C230 Review by CarTalk

My favorite guys at CarTalk just did a review of the C230 Sports Coupe, and it is a lot of fun to read:

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sports Coupe Test Drive

In short, they both rated it "Awesome!", and gave this summary quote: "It's hard to think of another hatchback coupe that offers the combination of solid feel, safety, sporty performance, airy feel and distinctive looks."
Old 02-22-2002, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
those guys are really funny.

<b>The only cure, aside from calling JC Whitney for a $39.95 set of simulated tiger fur seat covers, is to pony up another 1,300 bucks for leather seats.</b>

i'd better call JC Whitney...

<b>There is a family resemblance in the taillights, but it's to a different branch of the Daimler/Chrysler family tree -- the lowly Dodge Neon. </b>

Last edited by young; 02-22-2002 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:27 AM
benzomonterey

Even though an electric motor pulls the front seats forward and out of the way at your command, you still have to fold yourself up to get in the back.

eight-way adjustable seats (manual in the car we drove; 10-way power seats with memory are an extra $1,225).

I don't have the electric slider on my car !
Old 02-22-2002, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Nice review but, here's my .02:

One note of caution: The C230 is rear-wheel drive, which means it's at a disadvantage in slippery weather. We noticed that the C230 slipped a bit on wet roads, which doesn't give us much confidence that it would keep you moving in the snow, even with its traction control.
I disagree. See my post on c230k in snow.

This car is not going to be easy to work on. The engine compartment is complicated and very crowded.
I disagree. Take those nice plastic covers off and guess what! There's an engine under there. Just like any other gas powered car. Am I wrong? And I doubt these guys actually tried working on the car during the test...

First, there's the placement of the window switches -- way, way down on the doors, just barely within reach of a seated and buckled-in person.
I disagree. Or rather, I agree with MB's placement of the switches. Out of the way yet accessible when you need them. In my wife's car: I hate when my elbow lowers 1 or 2 of the windows by accident. Once you learn where they are in the MB- no problem. Same applies with the cruise stalk.

It's a pain in the tuchus to get into and out of the back seat. Even though an electric motor pulls the front seats forward and out of the way at your command, you still have to fold yourself up to get in the back.
I wonder if they knew the seat moves further forward even after it slides up. It's a 2-step process. I didn't know and there's no way of knowing unless someone tells you or you find out by accident. Furthermore, the doors are enormous and they leave an equally enormous hole in the car when they are opened. That makes it one of the easiest back seats to get into that I've tried. Find me another 2-door on the market that's easier to get in the back.

In addition, I highly recommend the power seat option. Especially if 2 people share in driving the car. The memory positions are linked to the key fob, which means there are a total of 6 available memory postions. I have a "highway", "around town", and "wife" positions (in case she uses my key). She has "big shoe", "small shoe", and "husband" positions set on her key. Plus- you get the easy-entry/exit feature which is also linked to the key. It's an expensive option, but the manual seat adjustments are a joke.
Old 02-22-2002, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by avlis
The memory positions are linked to the key fob, which means there are a total of 6 available memory postions
I'm not sure if it's different in the sedan, but I have 3 memory positions that I can set on the door, and the key remembers the last position the seat was in which makes 5 positions (with 2 keys). What am I missing??
Old 02-22-2002, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Aren't there are 3 memory positions for each of 2 keys?

2 keys x 3 postions = 6

I'm still figuring out the seat/key setup so maybe I'm the one missing something?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:27 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Actually, I think it's really eight...

2 keys X 3 memory positions = 6 Plus...
2 keys X 1 last position used = 2 Total: 8

(If you move the seat/mirrors, etc. of any position other than the three presets, the key remembers that position too. One for each key.)

I asked about the logic and hierarchy (priorities) of how the memory seats work on the tech forum, but no one answered. I'm not sure even the experts understand it.