C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

The devil is in the detail...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(W203s) '04 C240, family member '05 C230 Kompressor
The devil is in the detail...

Guys, personally I think small details make all the difference in anything especially the looks/presentation of a car... Some, like my wife say I'm OCD or "****" and I might be a little... but, she on the other hand didn't mind driving the C240 around with the clearcoat flaking off the door above the window... but I felt like I was driving a piece of junk until I got it and a few other dings and scrapes fixed...

Finally my point, I am missing the tiny chrome piece from one of my vent guides that controls air direction... The stealership can only get the piece as the whole unit... Big $$, and the same with salvage yards. I really don't want to pay full price for the whole unit just to get this little chrome insert... So I've been doing without since I've had the car a year and a half.

So, do any of you guys have an old unit that is busted that you can cannibalize for me to get that one little part? I'm willing to pay, just not for a whole working unit...

Thanks,
JC

PS: OK I get it guys... 182 views and no replies... too OCD right... Be thankful my problem is small... Anyone else this bad or am I the only one in the forum??

Last edited by J.Christian; 05-08-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added postscript
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Have you tried eBay for used vents and such? There are a number of eBay stores that sell out MB parts, in some cases new too.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Originally Posted by J.Christian
Anyone else this bad or am I the only one in the forum??
Nope...I'm with you there. I'm just as "bad". I hate when things are "broken" or not right on my car...things that, to most, wouldn't matter. Case in point:

My very late build 2005 (April 2005 build date) C230 Sport Sedan has the unfortunate cost cutting Mercedes-Benz so graceously bestowed upon it that has no lights on the graphics the light switch knob points to. So, while the knob has a little white line that lights up at night, the 4 or 5 little graphics (parking lights left and right, off, parking lights full, AUTO, and full lights) do not light up. I've thought about it for years to replace my unit with an older unit that lights up fully.

My IR sensor on the driver's door handle barely works. I pretty much have to have my key remote about 2 inches away for it to auto open the windows and sunroof.

The small little plastic pin on the mirror cover in my sun visor broke off, so now it's held with duct tape. Otherwise, every time I lower my sun visor, I'd wind up with a gray plastic cover on my lap.

The 2 large knobs on my HVAC unit (the fan speed knob and the vent direction knob) sound different from each other when turning. (yeah...big time OCD on my part). They work fine....just sound different when rotating them.

Oh, there's more, but I think you get the idea about my OCD, right?

Cintoman
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
The IR sensor has a very short range. It's MUCH shorter than the range of the radio sensor (used for lock/unlock). That's perfectly normal.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cintoman

Oh, there's more, but I think you get the idea about my OCD, right?

Cintoman
I feel much better now! LOL!

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by C230Brit
Have you tried eBay for used vents and such? There are a number of eBay stores that sell out MB parts, in some cases new too.
Yeah, I've tried eBay but the cheapest I found any to cannibalize is $24 plus postage... My OCD hasn't won over my practical side enough yet to spring that much for a 10 cent piece that has no functionally... Yet....

I would like to find a broken one that someone might be discarding for a little bit of nothing...

Thanks,
Jamie