C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Major CST Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by renncpe

100.00 over invoice, I glad for you. They must be really stupid. I never thought I would see the day you could buy a Mercedes just like a Nissan Sentra @ 100.00 over. How many do they get each month 20 thats 2000.00 dollars.
They still get a 3% holdback from MB. 3% of $25,000 is 750. 3% of $30,000 is $900. So let's assume it was $30,000 MSRP (with options). Add his $100. So in theory, they made a clean $1000 profit if they sold the car 'as it arrived' for $100 over their invoice cost, losing almost nothing to floor financing. Not too bad.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:17 AM
zot

C230 Sports Coupe
CST leather are not approved on any MB cars. This comes from both MBUSA and CST. MBUSA claim that any dealers who have aftermarket installed over the panels are doing so alone and without backing from MBUSA. MBUSA recommend against doing this.
Wow!! Is this true... My C230K will be here within a month. I was debating wether to wait longer and get C5 instead of cloth about a month ago but decided I can always get the cool two tone CTS leather.

The fact that CTS is not approved by MBUSA can really influence my decision on getting after market leather.

I thought I've read it somewhere in this forum that someone stated CTS is an approved leather installer for MB. ???
Old 02-28-2002, 09:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well, CST has its own liability on the airbags not working, as well as a 3-year warranty on the install.

Forgive my stupidity, but where is the problem? Of course, MB is not going to be happy with you not going through them to get leather done. That's only par for the course. They also don't want you to install non-MB rims, drop the suspension, or modify the engine. You do what you want and pay the consequences.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:21 PM

MB C230 Coupe
Originally posted by tommy
Well, CST has its own liability on the airbags not working, as well as a 3-year warranty on the install.

Forgive my stupidity, but where is the problem? Of course, MB is not going to be happy with you not going through them to get leather done. That's only par for the course. They also don't want you to install non-MB rims, drop the suspension, or modify the engine. You do what you want and pay the consequences.
You're absolutely correct, but if you put some thought into the issue, you will easily find that the CST leather is probably not worth it's trouble.

Have you thought about the case where AIRBAG do not deploy? If this really happened, it would be too late to regret it.

For myself I would much rather just get factory leather and not have to worry about these issues... yes the 2 tone leather is awesome.. but doesn't justify the safety issues. When no one can take responsability when an airbag doesnt' deploy, you would have other issues. hehehe
Old 03-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by tom.com
You're absolutely correct, but if you put some thought into the issue, ...
While I honestly appreciate you telling me that I can't think, I have to disagree. The only messing around that is done on the surface of the door panel is to replace the cloth with leather. They don't get into the internals. And their leather panels have the same type of breakaway thread as MB's do, so there really shouldn't be an issue.
Also, if I'm dead, I really don't think that I'll care if there is an issue with the CST leather messing up the deployment of my airbags, but my estate could sue CST anyway.
I think that the chance of CST messing up the airbags is tiny, but if you're afraid of going with it, by all means get the stock leather.

Life's all about choices.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
also, in reality, the technology is simple. as long as the stitching breaks so that the airbags deploy, it is not a problem.

i know that the stitching used is probably not the MB spec sooper dooper breakaway stitching, but i'll bet my life the CSTs will also work and break to let the airbags deploy
Old 03-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by young
i'll bet my life the CSTs will also work and break to let the airbags deploy
I'm betting mine as well!
Old 03-02-2002, 05:59 PM

C230 C-Coupe
C-Coupes are available with factory leather, I personally think it is bad advice to recommend aftermarket leather to anyone, unless they especially desire two tone.

You can find your C-Coupe with factory leather and if it means dealer trading, it will take as long to arrive as a CST leather install.

For most people this is a big purchase and there seems little point in comprimising it. The car is not covered by MB, even if some dealers are prepared to sell it.

If you are thinking of trading in at some point then you will not be able to sell it back as an approved used MB.

On the matter of the airbags deploying, are you serious? (see tommys quote below)

"Also, if I'm dead, I really don't think that I'll care if there is an issue with the CST leather messing up the deployment of my airbags".

What if you still live? I bet you will care then.

By the way you have to pay even more than factory leather to get aftermarket.

Nathan

Last edited by nboyd; 03-02-2002 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:51 PM

MB C230 Coupe
Originally posted by nboyd
On the matter of the airbags deploying, are you serious? (see tommys quote below)

"Also, if I'm dead, I really don't think that I'll care if there is an issue with the CST leather messing up the deployment of my airbags".

What if you still live? I bet you will care then.

By the way you have to pay even more than factory leather to get aftermarket.

Nathan
My thoughts exactly.. I just don't think it's worth the trouble especially when it becomes apparent that neither company will take responsability for covering up the side panels... Just my opinion
Old 03-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by tom.com
My thoughts exactly.. I just don't think it's worth the trouble especially when it becomes apparent that neither company will take responsability for covering up the side panels... Just my opinion
CST, for the thousandth time, has liability against any problems resulting from the install of their leather. If the airbags don't deploy, and it's not a result of the leather (which it wouldn't be, unless CST did something totally f'ed up), then the liability would switch to MB, as SEMA always says. Of course, you'd have to take MB to court to get anything done, probably. Think about it this way - do you really think that CST would install leather on the door panels if their process screwed things up? They would have filed Chapter 11 years ago.

I ordered my car in July - there were no options. Should I have sat on the floor until MB leather was available?

Of course, my "I'll be dead - I won't care" comment was tongue-in-cheek! Sheesh. I really think that you two are making too much out of this. Doing anything to your stock car is dicey - that's why smart people usually keep them stock. The CST option is about $200-300 over stock (ignoring overall discount on C5 pkg) - not really a big deal on a $30k car.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:14 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
no offense people, do you realize the force that airbags deploy at??? its gigantic.

people have had their arms broken because they were depressing the horn when the airbag discharged. the force can actually push your arms to the side away from the steering wheel with enough power to BREAK your thumbs if they are wrapped around the wheel.

i really dont think the concept of breakaway thread is so revolutionary that CST cant master it.

lets make the ultimate sacrifice, someone smash tommys car in the side, and see if his bags deploy. if they do we are alright!

j/k

greg
Old 03-03-2002, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
I had a long discussion with CST and MB. Between both of them there is plenty of insurance coverage for the worst case scenario. One warranty ends where the next one begins.

My CST leather was only $90 more. My friend has the factory leather and I have CST. We actually compared our seats and decided her leather was a little tighter (but not much) fitting to the chair, the CST is much more softer and a bit more sumptuous as a result. I like the soft leather better but it's personal preference.

My dealership did say they could take my car back as a Starmark, but I'll be trading it in for a Saab 9-3 ragtop. Can't believe I'm thinking about the next one already.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:47 PM

Ooooh... 9-3 ragtop. I was mighty tempted by one. I've had a 900 turbo, a 9000 turbo, and I got real anxious yesterday waiting for my C230 to come in so I swung by the Saab dealership and test drove a Viggen. The convertible was *really* tempting...