C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fogged Windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nrl1, are you saying there is a technical "fix" to this issue where MB reroutes air distribution from the defrost vents while in AUTO mode? If so, I will bring the issue up the next time I am at the dealership. I just assumed it was a built in function of the AUTO mode to have some air distributed from the defrost vents. While some may think it is "no big deal", it can be frustrating, especially considering the 3-series I sold for the C-Class never had this issue with the AUTO mode.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM

MB C230K
Originally posted by KOMPRESSORnSC
Butcha' know what? You shouldn't have to do this! I mean, jeez, can't MB come up with a solution so you can use the features on the car without problems? I had a heated argument with my Service Manager on this issue, and of course his solution was to use the manual mode or the wipers. I hate using the wipers becasue of the bug smears and dirt that gets spread around, and I really think that I shoud be able to use 'auto ' mode!

If you notice the posts on this thread, most of us are in the South. For those of you in non-humid areas, you can't understand what a PITA this is. Mine will get so bad that I have to use the wipers before I switch lanes to make sure there isn't a car off my right front fender.

Ah, but zee car is designed in Deutschland vere zere is no vhat you call "humidity".

Das ist doch alles Kram. Ein Deutsches Auto faehrt sich natuerlich am Besten in Deutschland. Und Ich moechte jetzt nicht noch einmal hoeren wie der Kompressor nicht richtig arbeitet wenn man in der Wueste lebt!

--Steffen:p
Old 07-16-2003, 08:22 PM

Brill. Silver-C230K, Auto, C4,C5,C7
I had this problem fixed by the dealer 6mos ago. They replaced the vent in the center of the dash (by the center speaker) with a redirected one; there is a bulletin on it.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:29 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by Viktorious
Wasnt there a problem with that vent? My C320 was sent back to get a new part for the center vent due to fogging. IDK if its the same as what you guys are talking about, because i experienced the same thing last night on my way back from the Y. I just used my wiper, but it was annoying. Anyone else get the center vent part replaced for free?
I had mine replaced for free during A-Service; it was reported in an earlier thread this was a known problem. Nevertheless, it still fogs up so I'll try the advice from the above post.

I had tried closing the vent, without turning the selector to center or center/down, so it still fogged up.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Banned

I also had my vent replaced and did not do anything at all. Here is my take on all this. If you live in humid cities or in the South as someone put it you will have this problem no matter what. Some people have tried different methods of adjusting different knobs and cleaning the windows but it will still come on one way or another. Simple advise, this is a defect in the car that Benz knows about and will probably not get it fixed till the new C class comes out in about 2006. Its a shame but we have to live with it.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:42 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by steffen
Ah, but zee car is designed in Deutschland vere zere is no vhat you call "humidity".

Das ist doch alles Kram. Ein Deutsches Auto faehrt sich natuerlich am Besten in Deutschland. Und Ich moechte jetzt nicht noch einmal hoeren wie der Kompressor nicht richtig arbeitet wenn man in der Wueste lebt!

--Steffen:p
Ach Quatsch - vee haff Luftfeuchtigkeit (hummiditty) genug auch in Deutschland an heissen Tagen, selbstverstaendlich!

I'd also like to know why I can't drive with the sunroof half open without the friggin' climate control shutting off by itself all the time. This happens either in hot weather, or cold weather in the winter, but not normally.

Looks like the Stuttgarters are losing their touch a little, I'm a bit apologetic as a German. Their engineers should be made to stay after class in Japan for a few weeks. Aber ich liebe Mercedes-Benz.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Banned

yes columbus, i agree with you, but watch out, some people here think their Benz is VERY RELIABLE and would argue with you
Old 08-17-2003, 07:17 PM

1998 E320, 2001 SLK320, 2000 Lexus RX300
I have the same problem with my 98 E320. Thanks for the explanation. Seems like the easy solution is to just not use the auto position.