C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

coupe discoveries/questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2002 | 02:08 AM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
coupe discoveries/questions

With as many things as I can control/monitor from the computer, I can't:
-Adjust the instrument display brightness?
-Vary the intermittent time on the wipers- at all?
-Switch from 1cd to 6cd or full random mode- that is annoying especially after MBs vasaline department gave it me hard - you know the 900 rip off!
On the bright side...
-Found that the blommin' cupholder has a nice feature to accomodate big gulps and the like. There is about a 1/2" high lip that catches the ring which you can lift out of to expand into a fairly large diameter. I know some of you must not have found that yet? I was excited- I've never even had a car with one cupholder before- but dammit they better be practical if they're there in the first place- and they just got a raise!
-Manual lists the torque at 207 lb/ft! Haven't read anything about that, nice little find!

Anyone tried the convenience open feature from the remote? Only tried once, but with no avail. Any ideas?
Does the engine note ever improve on startup, or I've also noticed with the windows down- under low RPM acceleration? Its almost to the point of embarrassment bad on start up. Is there hope? Any/all input much appreciated.
Old 02-23-2002 | 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: coupe discoveries/questions

Originally posted by zimmer26
With as many things as I can control/monitor from the computer, I can't:
-Adjust the instrument display brightness?
Yes, you can. Try rotating the reset knob. (Manual pg.99)
Old 02-23-2002 | 08:04 AM

2002 c230k
My car also sounds like a diesel truck on startup. It sounds better after about 30sec, but it still bothers me.
Old 02-23-2002 | 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic

-Switch from 1cd to 6cd or full random mode- that is annoying especially after MBs vasaline department gave it me hard - you know the 900 rip off!
On the bright side...
-Found that the blommin' cupholder has a nice feature to accomodate big gulps and the like. There is about a 1/2" high lip that catches the ring which you can lift out of to expand into a fairly large diameter. I know some of you must not have found that yet? I was excited- I've never even had a car with one cupholder before- but dammit they better be practical if they're there in the first place- and they just got a raise!

Anyone tried the convenience open feature from the remote? Only tried once, but with no avail. Any ideas?
Does the engine note ever improve on startup, or I've also noticed with the windows down- under low RPM acceleration? Its almost to the point of embarrassment bad on start up. Is there hope? Any/all input much appreciated.
AFAIK, there is no 6 cd random mode - only within each cd.
i need a video of that cupholder feature
if you mean open all the windows/close, etc. yes, i've tried it once just to make sure. pointing at the little sensor at the door just right seems to be the trick.
engine noise, i think, is normal. see the "why does my engine sound like a washing machine" thread :p
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Some previous posters have answered a couple:

1. Non-rain sensor vehicles have no adjustment on the intermittent wiper cycle
2. "Convenience" open/close feature for windows/sunroof -- the receiver sensor is in the door handles (a small square "window"). You must aim the remote at one of the sensors on either door. The signal for that feature is different from the normal lock/unlock (infrared vs. RF).

Didn't know about the expandable feature of the cup holder -- I'll try it.
Old 02-23-2002 | 02:17 PM
gab

230K engine torque is not entirely flat from 2500-4800 if u look at previously posted dyno the average torque will be around 200lb/ft from 2500-4800 but peak torque will register around 210lb/ft
Old 02-23-2002 | 02:36 PM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
Redgarding Cupholder;
What are you talking about?
Old 02-23-2002 | 04:57 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe

...I've never even had a car with one cupholder before- but dammit they better be practical if they're there in the first place....-
Zimmer, I'm not sure what you mean here, but you do realize that your cupholder is designed for two cups, right? One cup up on the bloomin' stem and the other down to the left at the base of the "bloom". The "bloom" automatically adjusts to accommodate various sized cups.
Deb
Old 02-24-2002 | 10:12 AM

What I meant, Deb was that I've never owned a car with as little as one cupholder, and now, yes I do realize that I have two and I also realize that the spring tab adjusts and holds you drink firmly- quite nicely. Thanks to Young and Vadim for the accurate info, worked like a charm! I think I remember the dealer mentioning the dimming feature after you reminded me, but missed it when I referred back to the manual.

To clarify (hopefully) my cupholder finding:
On the bloomin' (right) one, take the rear portion of the ring - that you can move in and out, and lift up (gently) on the right side where you'll find a small lip on the inside of the stationary part that doesn't allow it to expand further. Until you lift up about 3/8", and basically separate the ring into a larger diameter! Don't expect it to double in size but a little gerth can go a long way (I'm still talking cupholders here.)

A little irked by the intermittents, but more the lack of full random mode on the changer! Anyone else have pets and cloth seats? Lethal combo, my ash cloth seems to thrive on the accumulation of cat hair, and it sure doesn't hide it well. The lint roller has unfortunately earned a spot on board in the center console as a result! Should've cracked the wallet a tad further and gone for the gray leather but I didn't see this coming- not a problem on my mr2 black cloth- oh well. So I can't have it all- yet but still VERY pleased with my purchase. The gearbox IS getting even better as many of you noted earlier, and I find myself sniffing out twisty back roads more than ever to have some pre-break in fun, and man is it. I've laid down some turns at double, some nearly triple the suggested speed and am still yet to find the cornering limits of the coupe- very nice, very nice indeed! I would take the time to illustrate the cupholder phenom, but don't have the tools. So, read through my description and go try it- I think you'll be able to see what I'm talking about- that's if you care. Enjoy.
Old 02-24-2002 | 02:02 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Supersizing your cupholder

Hey, Zimmer,
I love your enthusiasm and the fact that you are exploring your new car and making discoveries. I went out to examine my cupholder, and I think that you have inadvertantly discovered a way to exceed the design dimensions of this device. By releasing the adjustable clasp portion of the cupholder, you gain a bit in diameter, but you lose the strength of the clasp. The armrest bin becomes the default backstop for the clasp and I doubt that this was the intended design. In fact the manual advises keeping the cupholder closed while traveling. (Yeah, right, whoever wrote the manual just isn't tuned in to the American driving public's need to eat, drink and drive. ) IMO, this design is inherently unstable for large sized containers. My unsolicited advice would be to downsize your beverage containers if you can, and/or carry
a BIG towel.
If I'm wrong here, someone, correct me. I am still learning new things about my car every time I drive it. So I know I don't have it all figured out yet.
Happy driving,
Deb
Old 02-25-2002 | 08:14 AM

Deb, I agree that there would be some loss of stability, but I think it is like a secret design feature, or else that lip would probably cover the height of the ring- right? The way I found it was I was charging my cell for the first time and decided that the bloomin was a nice perch for it, but had to get the wire through the bottom and viola- secret found! Dumb to many priceless to few I guess. Usually I just keep a small bottle of water in the sunken cupholder side that fits nicely, doesn't impede shifting and no risk of spillage, but for those long trips- volume is critical. I'll keep looking and reporting- I'm sure there's more to be found.