C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

M111 Cam adjuster or timing chain- Im confused. Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 w203 C180
M111 Cam adjuster or timing chain- Im confused. Please help

Hi guys

I don't know if the timing chain or cam adjuster is causing the noise on start up?

So after me buying all the stuff for timing chain replacement,
my mechanic tells me its not the timing chain that makes the noise on startup but the cam adjuster. The noise i get is about a 3 second noise on start up, thereafter its gone.

The price on a new cam adjuster from the MB is R9,514 ( $1,111 USD)!!

Lots of posts i read says that there is no harm if the adjuster makes a noise, Is this true? Also does the timing chain and cam adjuster make a similar noise on start up?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K - sold
Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread... I can't answer this...I have STFF thru many threads and I too am wondering if my little brief start up noise.

From my searches (Honest I -STFF) it might just be the secondary air to cat at start up, the belt tensioner on driven accessories or a the supercharger being worn? Or is it in fact related to chain and oil pressure at start up which you are asking....

Perhaps the more knowledgeable M111 members could add something like isolate the fault with (and this is asking now not directing):

Isolate the noise by disconnecting the drive belt(s) and let sit overnight ..(engine oil has to drain down to pan & out of system for internal cam related noises to show) then do your cold start up with no accessories or supercharger being driven....(knowledgeable ones continue on like) ...it'll throw a CEL for supercharger & charging issues (or will it not start w/o SC and accessory belt on?)

Continuing on they advise us......CEL will cure itself later when you re connect (or a reset required with OBD2 scanner or Star/carsoft).

But that way you can determine while belt less if it is engine oil pressure internal cam chain / adjuster related or external belt driven?

Then next step connect the SC belt...sit overnight and try w/o alt-PS pump accessory drives.. & isolate the supercharger vs. accessories?