C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

*sigh* keyed :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
l
*sigh* keyed :(

Ugh someone keyed my car twice. 2 huge ones across the door to the front side panel. I seriously don't see why anyone would do this. This is totally random and not by anyone that dislikes me unless they stalked me to my university. Arg... anyone know if insurance covers stuff like this or if MB could help out? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Why would MB help out?

I would get a free quote first, before you decide to call the insurance co. since your deductable might be more then its worth, plus your insurance will go up.

Erik
Old 07-10-2003, 01:57 AM

MB C230K
Getting keyed would be a COMP claim, which means it will not affect your rates. Only Collision claims (i.e. you spin out and hit a pole) would cause your insurance rates to go up.

Of course, if you get enough COMP claims (comprehensive) they might ask you to increase your deductible...

-Steffen
Old 07-10-2003, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Originally posted by steffen
Getting keyed would be a COMP claim, which means it will not affect your rates. Only Collision claims (i.e. you spin out and hit a pole) would cause your insurance rates to go up.

Of course, if you get enough COMP claims (comprehensive) they might ask you to increase your deductible...

-Steffen
Not true... I claimed a key job. Although my agent told me before I submit the claim that it won't affect my rate, when the bill came they did! Even only by a little bit.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:37 AM
taylor192

Re: *sigh* keyed :(

Originally posted by MagicianB
Ugh someone keyed my car twice. 2 huge ones across the door to the front side panel. I seriously don't see why anyone would do this. This is totally random and not by anyone that dislikes me unless they stalked me to my university. Arg... anyone know if insurance covers stuff like this or if MB could help out? Thanks.
Could be how you drive or who you are. I don't see why road rage happens, yet it happens all the time. There was just a story in Ottawa about a man who attacked another man after a verbal battle over a stalled car, aparently the driver hated the fact the car was stalled and couldn't be moved out of the way. The incident excalated until the impatient driver went to his trunk and got jumper cables and whipped the poor driver of the stalled vehicle, then just for good measure, ran him down, smashing his windshield as the guy flew up on his car after being hit.

I've said this before, and don't mind the criticism, I have smashed car doors before. If you park too close to my car so that I cannot open my driver's door to enter, you should expect to return with damage to your car. In my old beater, I'd just open my door and squeeze my way in, and if doing so causes damage to your car, next time maybe you'll watch where you park and be courteous of others. Have you ever looked around at how many people just don't care for their cars? Thus why I am careful parking, I don't wish the same to happen to my car cause I didn't leave enough room for someone else who might not be careful opening their door either.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by 20FHK02
Not true... I claimed a key job. Although my agent told me before I submit the claim that it won't affect my rate, when the bill came they did! Even only by a little bit.
Agreed...even if they are not supposed to...they always raise your rates after you submit a claim...

Erik
Old 07-10-2003, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: *sigh* keyed :(

Originally posted by taylor192
Uhh, wild stab here. It was _you_ who ran over the poor guy with the stalled car?

WRT people parking too closely, etc, I fully agree. Why should we be penalized because of their inability to fscking park properly? Can't do that much with our Benz, though, so we just try to park away from others and next to a wall; only 1 car can get us, and they'd have to park way over the line to make things bad.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:58 AM

02 c230 kompressor
it could just be jealousy? you never know, but some people are just stupid like that and dont know how to respect other people's property
Old 07-10-2003, 12:02 PM

C230 Kompressor SPORTS COUPE
Ya, I got keyed last month during finals... After 2 all nighters I am finally finished, I go to get my car form behind my house so I can go for a drive and blow off some steam and there is a key mark form the end of the passangers door to the tail light... I was more then just a little peeved. I have decided to leave it alone htough because I am back in NYC for the summer and the garages here are not nice to cars. I have discovered it is safer fo your car to park on the street, I just don't have time to move it every morning.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Jens C320

...I've said this before, and don't mind the criticism, I have smashed car doors before. If you park too close to my car so that I cannot open my driver's door to enter, you should expect to return with damage to your car. In my old beater, I'd just open my door and squeeze my way in, and if doing so causes damage to your car, next time maybe you'll watch where you park and be courteous of others. Have you ever looked around at how many people just don't care for their cars? Thus why I am careful parking, I don't wish the same to happen to my car cause I didn't leave enough room for someone else who might not be careful opening their door either.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:48 PM

c230 Coupe
Re: Re: Re: *sigh* keyed :(

Originally posted by Jens C320
yes i agree i dont care how close someone parks to your car, you have no right to touch their car at all. Anyone who does so is nothing but a little b##tch with no *****. Period.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI

I've said this before, and don't mind the criticism, I have smashed car doors before. If you park too close to my car so that I cannot open my driver's door to enter, you should expect to return with damage to your car. In my old beater, I'd just open my door and squeeze my way in, and if doing so causes damage to your car, next time maybe you'll watch where you park and be courteous of others. Have you ever looked around at how many people just don't care for their cars? Thus why I am careful parking, I don't wish the same to happen to my car cause I didn't leave enough room for someone else who might not be careful opening their door either.
So if someone doesn't like where you've parked, they're perfectly justified in forcibly moving your car or smashing one of your windows?

I'm sorry, but your lack of respect for others' property is appalling, regardless of how poorly they parked or drove.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:57 PM
taylor192

Re: Re: Re: *sigh* keyed :(

Originally posted by session
So if someone doesn't like where you've parked, they're perfectly justified in forcibly moving your car or smashing one of your windows?

I'm sorry, but your lack of respect for others' property is appalling, regardless of how poorly they parked or drove.
Your ignorance of human nature will probably result in your car door having a dent due to some other careless person. I started out saying I don't mind the criticism, so go ahead you're absolutely right, in a perfect world I shouldn't open my door into someone else's car, yet in a perfect world, that person would've left me enough room to not have to do so - so who's really at fault?

Lack of respect started when they parked too close to your driver's door for it to open. There is no reason to respect someone who has already disrespected you. If they had any respect, they'd take the extra time to carefully park, much like I'd take the extra time to carefully open my door.

If you can't understand that, then you'll at least understand this: don't park beside a car that looks like the individual does not take care of it. If their car isn't taken care of, do you think they care about your's?
Old 07-10-2003, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
I don't park in spaces next to someone who has parked too close or has a car they obviously don't take care of. I also try not to damage other people's property.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:16 PM
taylor192

Re: Re: Re: Re: *sigh* keyed :(

Originally posted by hokusbenz
yes i agree i dont care how close someone parks to your car, you have no right to touch their car at all. Anyone who does so is nothing but a little b##tch with no *****. Period.
LOL, watch your mouth. I will not wait for someone to return simply to have their car moved so I can enter mine.

So how about a compromise. Next time I cannot enter my arm, I'll make sure they cannot enter there's. A simple toothpick shoved in the lock of most vehicles will make it impossible to enter - and doesn't damage the car - is that a better lesson learned?

You remind me of the few guys that have gotten mad at me for flashing high-beams at them on the highway to move out of the left lane (some people don't understand its more polite than tailgating or passing on the right) and have followed me to work/coffee shop. They talk a big game, cursing out the window and giving me the finger, even slamming on the brakes infront of me. When they finally park and get out, they seem to have nothing to say.

I've very respectful of those deserving respect, the sad part is that there's too many people who don't deserve any respect. Driving is a priviledge, learn to do it properly and we are all happy... too bad everyone thinks its a right and that right allows them to drive like idiots.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:18 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by session
I don't park in spaces next to someone who has parked too close or has a car they obviously don't take care of. I also try not to damage other people's property.
I don't either, its when someone parks too close next to my already parked car, then what? wait?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
I don't either, its when someone parks too close next to my already parked car, then what? wait?
You try and get in your car without harming theirs, because you're the better (more mature) person.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
GO Session GO. You got my vote.

taylor192
Stupid question: Do you make an attempt to avoid these situations and therefore park in the boonies (sp?) or do you avoid walking and park as close to the entrance as possible?
Old 07-11-2003, 12:00 AM

C230
I agree with session and others. Yeah sometimes someone might do a horrible parking job, and yes, it does suck to have to take an extra 30 seconds to try to squeeze into your car without dinging their doors, but it's just the right thing to do. You wouldn't want someone else keying/banging your doors for such a trival reason. I hope that as long as I treat others with "the Golden Rule" they'll do the same for me. A little naive perhaps, but the world is already has enough hate in it, why make it worse?
Old 07-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Almost a Member!

l
Wow never thought my thread would flame up like this! I have to say that despite what happend to my car, even if I did know who did this, I would not do it back to them nor anything else other than legal means of dealing with this. I also am greatly disturbed by taylor192's response to someone parking too close to you. You say they deserve no respect for driving/parking incorrectly and so you can do whatever you want to them. So where are you being respectful by doing something to them? Eye for an eye is not a solution to problems. If someone walks by and runs into you, yes it is there fault, but you shouldn't push them back. It just instigates a problem that doesn't need to escalate. Revenge is not an answer and does not solve anything. Makes you feel better? Maybe. But in the long run it just makes more angry people in the world who'll just cause more trouble and the cycle continues. Don't give the people another reason to go key someone elses car or bash someone's car. Respecting others despite their faults is how one can truly measure their self worth. Sorry if I made this too philosophical or something, I just wanted to speak a few words.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Re: Re: Re: Re: *sigh* keyed :(

There is no reason to respect someone who has already disrespected you.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Man, don't come to heavily populated cities like SF. You'd blow a gasket there. Sometimes, spaces are made jsut too small for all cars. For example, in the SF downtown Macy's structure, I've had to get in my car from the passenger's side to avoid denting doors.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:52 AM

'03 c320wz
what if... the car next to yours dings your car??? do you retaliate????
Old 07-11-2003, 08:55 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by MagicianB
Wow never thought my thread would flame up like this! I have to say that despite what happend to my car, even if I did know who did this, I would not do it back to them nor anything else other than legal means of dealing with this. I also am greatly disturbed by taylor192's response to someone parking too close to you. You say they deserve no respect for driving/parking incorrectly and so you can do whatever you want to them. So where are you being respectful by doing something to them? Eye for an eye is not a solution to problems. If someone walks by and runs into you, yes it is there fault, but you shouldn't push them back. It just instigates a problem that doesn't need to escalate. Revenge is not an answer and does not solve anything. Makes you feel better? Maybe. But in the long run it just makes more angry people in the world who'll just cause more trouble and the cycle continues. Don't give the people another reason to go key someone elses car or bash someone's car. Respecting others despite their faults is how one can truly measure their self worth. Sorry if I made this too philosophical or something, I just wanted to speak a few words.
I'm so surprised and find it refreshing to see all the Americans thinking the opposite when in your culture all too often its is "an eye for an eye".

I like your reference to someone walking by and running into you, cause I see this all the time, and I have another unique appraoch to it. People all too often walk with their heads down, or looking away and not where they are going. I'm a big enough guy, if someone is going to walk into me, I just toughen up a bit and stand my ground. People have actually walked into me and knocked themselves over - the surprising thing is how many don't apologize for not watching where they are going and actually yell at me for running into them - I find this funny cause I may have purposely not avoided the situation yet they are the ones who walked into me. Respect returns respect, if someone is watching where they are going, I will be mindful enough to avoid walking into them, as they will most likely return the favour.

I'll relate this back to the door banging, yes I may purposely not avoid hitting my door into theirs, yet its just like me walking, if you're not mindful enough to realise you're walking right into my path, then you should expect to get knocked down.

If you weren't watching and walked infront of a vehicle, would you not expect to get hit? So why do people care about vehicles and not about other people? Then they get behind the wheel of a vehicle and all of a sudden they stop caring about other vehicles... human nature is funny.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:05 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by midas888
I agree with session and others. Yeah sometimes someone might do a horrible parking job, and yes, it does suck to have to take an extra 30 seconds to try to squeeze into your car without dinging their doors, but it's just the right thing to do. You wouldn't want someone else keying/banging your doors for such a trival reason. I hope that as long as I treat others with "the Golden Rule" they'll do the same for me. A little naive perhaps, but the world is already has enough hate in it, why make it worse?
My time is worth $35/hour while at work, thus that 30 secs is worth about $0.50 to me, so perhaps that person should reimburse me. Actually, I find my free time pricesless, so how can that person reimburse me for wasting "priceless' time?

I know I wouldn't wish the same on me. Here's another little story. I had a girlfriend who constantly wouldn't watch herself while opening her door, and would end up banging it into other cars all the time. Before I would park my car, I would actually stop and make her get out so she wouldn't bang my door against someone else's car, or I would make sure to leave extra room on her side to make sure her ignorance wouldn't impact upon someone else's car. Now people are like this, especially kids, so drivers should be more careful parking so that incidents like this are minimized.

Look in a typical lot and see how many vehicles are parked with the front of the car facing out the parking spot. This is just an idea of how many ignorant people are in too much of a hurry to park. Reversing froma parking spot is one of the worse things you can do, as you typically have less view of the road behind and could accidently back up into a passing car without time to notice. How many people do you see take the extra time and effort to reverse into a parking spot? Now how many will blame that on inability to reverse into a parking spot well - these people shouldn't drive, if you can't successfully master reversing into a parking spot, imagine all the other bad driving mistakes they make.

Driving is a priviledge, learn to do it properly!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *sigh* keyed :(