C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

East Coast People - Need your input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
East Coast People - Need your input

So my wife got hooked up with a sweet job on the east coast. However there is a decision to be made.

We need to figure out where to live. We have our choice of Boston, MA or Wilmington, NC.

We're going to visit both over the July 4th week. However I figured many of you have some insight as to which may be better for a gear head. I'm leaning towards Wilmington myself due to the cost of living, no snow, and the tracks that are within towing distance of that area. For a hobby I want to finally enter a racing series. Don't shun me but I may just get my competition license and do the spec E30 series.

So tell me what you think, I'm dying to know the pro's and con's of each area.

Also I'm keeping my job here in California just working remote. So the job thing is kind of off the table for both areas since both have jobs for me. I'm looking for culture, road conditions, things to do, etc...

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Oh and one reason why I'm posting this question here. I really really really REALLY want to get myself a set of BBS LM wheels for the C55 somday. However I did a search last night and saw another member sold their BBS wheels due to the potholes in their area. That person was located in Boston. =(

Maybe all of the US has bad roads... I know we have them here in California.. but just want to know as much as possible before committing to an area.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
They do have yogurt in Wilmington, so I guess that counts as culture.

They're very much opposites, so it depends on what you want:

Access to cultural activiites, 4 seasons, having to root for the Sox, world's worst accent, good public transportation, very good education, very high cost of living, very large chip on your collective shoulder about being overshadowed by NYC, and yes potholes as big as your head

PBS on cable (and NASCAR, of course), Lower cost of living, 2 seasons (hot and holt sh*t it's hot), beaches, more relaxed lifestyle, questionable education, questionable job market if your wife's job goes south, and southerners (I'll leave that to you on whether it's a + or -)

From a purely driver's standpoint, it's an easy choice. There are severe drawbacks to living there, though.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Wilmington, NC...no question about it. NC is a beautiful state with good weather all year round.....boston is colddddddddddddddddddddddd real colddddddddddddddd......for a cra enthuziast I thnk NC is the best pleace to be. Cost of living is super cheap and job market is also OK.........you will find most of newjerseans there......I would say NC.......

javvy
Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 PM

E63
Wilmington for the Win

Yeah its gets hot here but is doesn't stay hot as long as it does in say, FL where I grew up. Close to the beach, change of seasons, it snowed here the first 3 winters but not this most recent one.

There is a term here, half backs. People from the North East who retire of can't stand the cold any longer will move to FL and realize it's hot there most of the time so they move half way back North.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Awh man I was looking forward to having another MBworld member in the bay to come to the meets here and all. Hope you make it out to a few before you move. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Well I'm not leaving "yet" but soon...

I'm not going to be able to make the 23rd btw. I will be heading up to Alice's sometime next week for breakfast before work. Once the sway bars show up that is. Found a place in AZ that drop ships H&R front(12mm) and rear sway bars for a total of $471 shipped. That's $30 under tirerack and hopefully quicker since tirerack is back ordered till mid July.

You should come with. I take hwy 9 to 35 then up towards alice's. Its a nice easy/fun drive.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM

2006 C230 SS
I'm puting my $.02 for Boston. I was born and raised just outside the city and there is no where else I would rather be. The roads are only bad in the city itself. When people say they live in Boston, 95% of the people don't actually live in the city, they live within the 95 belt around the city (myself for example). As bad as everyone says the accent is, there is actually only a small percentage of the population that have the heavy "Boston" accent that people speak to poorly of. It has one of if not the highest concentration of top tier schools (if that's something that matters to you) and everything is in within walking distance. I can't speak for the gear head scene in NC, but it is massive in Boston, absolutely massive. New Hampshire has some very nice race tracks, many within an 1-1.5 hours from the city. A Boston winter is hit or miss, no disagreement there, but there isn't much that can beat a Boston summer.

Of course I am biased as I've lived here all my life, but like I said, I could never see myself living anywhere else.

Whichever you choose, good luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info everyone!

Yeah I was wondering if it was must the city of Boston and not the surrounding areas for the "bad roads". If we chose Boston we'd be living off of one of the T lines. And my car would be garage queen during the winters.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM

2006 C230 SS
Originally Posted by speed7
Thanks for the info everyone!

Yeah I was wondering if it was must the city of Boston and not the surrounding areas for the "bad roads". If we chose Boston we'd be living off of one of the T lines. And my car would be garage queen during the winters.
That's actually what many people do. You could live in the Somerville/Cabridge area and get in via the red line. Or live in the Medford/Malden area and go in via the Orange line etc. You can get almost anywhere within the 95 belt without needing a car. As for the road quality, the worst of it is in the city. The highways around boston and the surrounding roads are really not that bad. I drive my 2006 C230 lowered on KW coilovers year round (yes it loves playing in the snow) without any problems.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wilmington: traffic.....strip malls.......more traffic.....more stip malls...
some historic stuff......traffic.....oh, the beach is there, but.....the traffic.....
there's a college there........traffic.....lots of stop lights........strip malls...
did I mention the traffic is hell??

good luck
Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 PM

Yeah I've heard that. So I'll make sure to drive around during rush hour in Wilmington.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM

Nowhere ...Fast
being a world traveler and living in near Boston...i have to say NC all the way!
That has been my destination for relocation for a long long time!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
A few years ago Massachusetts tried to get rid of all the vehicles over 10 years old, that means all the collectors that had cars from the 1900s all the way up all the way up to 10 years ago had to get rid of them. If the bill had to go through, North Carolina on the other hand sent out a big statement if this bill passes, please send all those vehicles to North Carolina we want them.,, It's like they said you can collect stamps but don't even think about collecting cars. so N. C. Is the place you want to be. jim
Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM

C320 4Matic & GLK350 4Matic
I've relocated from NYC to Charlotte, NC and the cost of living is amazing. You could purchase a nice house for the cost of a 600 sqft studio in Manhattan.

The weather cannot be beat even though it does get hot during the summer, I don't miss freezing my a$$ off in the winters ... and although I've yet to be to Wilmington its on the beach! I wish I was closer to the coast!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Do you like a Cold Climate or a Hot Humid one?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 AM

W203
NC

I currently live in NC and work in Boston. (don't ask how just accept it) haha. And i would DEF say Wilmington. Boston in June can dip down to 50 degrees which is WINTER for NC. i HATE Boston weather. It is so bipolar. One day it would be 80 degrees and then it would be raining for three days and then back to 50. Dont even think about the winter months. Public higher education in NC is one of the best in the country, and standard of living is wonderful.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
Stay far, far away from Boston. If I had a choice, I'd be in NC right now.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Really thanks for all the feedback. Intimate knowledge of each area is what I was looking for. So thanks again for all of your feedback.

That Boston tidbit regarding all cars over 10 years old is scary. I currently live in California and if I were to only own cars I liked that were no more than 10 years old. I'd have to restrict myself to only buying cheap pos cars. The cost of living here isn't cheap and my C55 would be forced to hind a new home in just 4 years. I think thats a year or so after my loan is paid off..... blah.. thats not cool.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jkw
Do you like a Cold Climate or a Hot Humid one?
Well I like humidity. But I've been told I don't know what "real humidity" is.. even though I've been to Florida in August.. Hawaii in August.. and the Bahamas.

So in July I hope its humid in Wilmington so I can say if I truly do like it or not.

I do know I don't like the cold though. I wear sandals most of the time here even at work. In San Diego I'd wear them pretty much 350 out of 365 days a year.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Originally Posted by speed7
I wear sandals most of the time here even at work. .
I guess that's your answer. ;-)
Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You'll love southern NC, then.

Sounds like that would be a better match for you.

If golf is your game, lots there as well.

And you could rent out my parents' condo in the Outer Banks, too. Shameless plug!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by tommy
You'll love southern NC, then.

Sounds like that would be a better match for you.

If golf is your game, lots there as well.

And you could rent out my parents' condo in the Outer Banks, too. Shameless plug!
hahaha well I'm giving it an honest chance... the ol' college try. =)

I'm well pretty dumb when it comes to the area. How close to front st and downtown. Chances are that is the area were going to live or want to be around.

Cool thing about that area. I was finding warehouses for storage / a garage for like $700.. which is pretty freakin cheap when you see whats included.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Soooo we're going with boston. For a few reasons. The people there were really cool.. easy to talk to. Roads in the surrounding area not my favorite but I could get used to it. And the history in that area is amazing.. lots of awesome buildings and things to learn.

In wilmington we didn't get the same welcoming feeling... the downtown was about the size of a postage stamp. While the roads were nice.. we were bored in about a day.

Overall though both places were nice.. but boston had our hearts from the start. We'll be in the sommerville / davis square area. Just got approved for the place we wanted. And I get to put the C55 in a garage. =) So all in all.. I'm stoked. Can't wait to get involved with the car community.

Thanks again for all of your input... it really did help.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM

2006 C230 SS
You are literally moving in about 1/4 mile from me . I am right up the street from davis square.....However I am no longer Benz owner, I traded it in for a brand new 2012 fully loaded Mazdaspeed3 (black on black). I'll post pictures up soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: East Coast People - Need your input