C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fog light error code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Fog light error code

So long story short my left fog lights wiring is gone so right now the right fog lights wiring is powering both fog lights. Its working perfect but now I always have a malfunction message saying check left fog light. I know its not a big deal but does anyone know if is there a way to make it stop saying it? I am assuming I cant use my OBDII reader to clear the code right?

Also
but to the coupe owners were are you guys getting your 05 tail lights? I searched ebay and couldn't really find any.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
itll keep saying it until you get a new connector and have the bulb hooked up to the wiring. You can probably try a solenoid or resistor to the left wire to trick into thinking that its working. Only way would to clear it is by STAR probably.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
The wires straight gone, I had a guy at the body shop that did most of the cars work look at it and he couldn't trace the wire to anything. Would a dealer be able to clear it?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The front SAM does a lamp check when the key is turned on. Inside the SAM is a very low value resistor. The SAM sends a voltage to the lamp, and the current in the tiny resistor is measured by the microcontroller. If the current read is in the range of a fog lamp, it remains silent. If the lamp is burned out, or in your case not connected, it tells the MFD there is a problem over the CANbus. I believe all cars have fog lights, so the software is probably in read only memory and not switchable like the choice between halogen and Xenon headlamps.

Best way to fix this is to run a new wire from the front SAM to the fog light. If you cannot dig the wire out of the existing harness, start at the SAM and load a new pin in the connector in place of the original fog light wire. Mercedes will sell you the wire and connector pin. (you will probably need some expensive tooling to crimp and load the connector.)
Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by Peydidy
The wires straight gone, I had a guy at the body shop that did most of the cars work look at it and he couldn't trace the wire to anything. Would a dealer be able to clear it?
The wiring diagram in the WIS will show where the wire starts and stops, and which way it runs. It should take a guy with the right tools to put a new wire from the front SAM to the fog light in half an hour. A crack tech will have a device called a fox and hound. It connects a signal (the fox) to the wire, and an RF probe can then sniff (the hound) along the wiring harness to pinpoint where a break is located. Then it can be fixed easily without running a new wire.

A dealer can fix it, but cannot "clear" it. There is no version coding that allows changing the lamp test for the fog lights.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 PM

In case anyone else searches. I just fixed this issue too. Wire from left fog light that is hot is green/blk. Brown is always ground. Under the car, same loom as the big 10 gauge to the fan, open up that loom, there you will see the gn/bl. It runs down the fender through the washer tank canle holder and down by the washer level sensor.

Test with light tester and you will see its for the fog. As soon as your turn on the car, you will see it light for half a second. Rejoin the broken wire and tap the brown into ground. Issue resolved