C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Car Revving up and down with no throttle response - PO120

Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W203; E60; '68 Camaro
This just started happening with my car tonight.

I guess I'll just give it a shot of carb cleaner tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Ugh, 114k miles and it's starting to give me a fair amount of issues.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W203; E60; '68 Camaro
Unbelievably, spraying carb cleaner in the MAF has worked brilliantly. It's running almost like new. Thanks for that amazing recommendation, lol, I just hope it continues running this well.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Check this thread about the TB Connector:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post5299693
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Follow Up

Hi folks,

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2003 C230 Kompressor with the revving and the engine code P0120 - Throttle / Pedal Position SensorA

What is the final fixon this issue?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 KOMPRESSOR (2003)
Well, I am not sure about other people but my problem is still there and pathetically i got used to it, turning it on and off several times every time i start the car until it starts fine. I tried a whole bunch of things, tried cleaning the connectors, checked for continuity in the connectors, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the pedal.. etc etc etc etc, but the problem persists. I notice a difference between my issue and what other people experienced, other people complain that only the throttle is unresponsive but in my case not only the throttle is unresponsive but the rpm also jumps up and down constantly and the car almost sounds like gasping for air like a smoker..... tell me if you have the same issue?

I am almost at the verge of going to the stealership and burn a grand or so to figure out what the hell is wrong with it..
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM

C230
Well, I have an engine code reader and I took the information down and sent it to my mechanic. Another mechanic I know says that it is more than likely that one of the two throttle voltage sensors is malfunctioning, it could be that it needs to be cleaned or that it needs to be replaced. I see that you live in the Toronto area correct? I live in the Ottawa area and I was just wondering if you know of any online used auto parts sales websites for mercedes parts? This car was essentially a gift from my uncle, he is 70 now and he needs something a little higher off the ground so he gave me the car. He told me when he gave it to me that the issue exists and that he had not yet had the chance to have someone look in to it. But it is nice to hear that it is something that you have lived with meaning that I might not have to go in to the several thousand dollar area and get it replaced/fixed. Thanks again for your reply, it is greatly appreciated. Once I hear back from my mechanic I will let you know what he says. Otherwise, how do you like your C230? Has it given you many issues since you have owned it? Mine has 240 000KM on it and I want to know what to expect going forward.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Originally Posted by ammar_rage
Well, I am not sure about other people but my problem is still there and pathetically i got used to it, turning it on and off several times every time i start the car until it starts fine. I tried a whole bunch of things, tried cleaning the connectors, checked for continuity in the connectors, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the pedal.. etc etc etc etc, but the problem persists. I notice a difference between my issue and what other people experienced, other people complain that only the throttle is unresponsive but in my case not only the throttle is unresponsive but the rpm also jumps up and down constantly and the car almost sounds like gasping for air like a smoker..... tell me if you have the same issue?

I am almost at the verge of going to the stealership and burn a grand or so to figure out what the hell is wrong with it..

Ammar_Rage,.... you've been stuck on the same problem for quite a while now,... Since you're in Toronto, if you're willing to come up to the Yonge-Sheppard-401 area, I'll take a look at your car and see if I can figure it out for you,... just PM me. This Saturday should be good since the weather will be ok,... for January.

If we can't figure it out,.... well, we call them Stealerships for a reason,... I would recommend (Charlie) McNally Auto at 49 Toro Road in Keele-Finch area,... best Mercedes Indy in Toronto area,... great at troubleshooting and only charge for time spent on your car.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Did you change the engine Harness?
All my problems disappeared after changing the harness.
And found out the TB, TPS,........ And the other stuff we're fine. The old harness was shorting and making the ECU behave weird.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM

C230 KOMPRESSOR (2003)
Thanks SunnrRay, sounds good buddy, I will msg you to get your details. John, changing a wire harness is not a small job, so i dont wanna touch it until i am sure thats what the problem is.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Just a followup,...

Ammar dropped by a couple of days ago so I could take a look at his car. When he arrived,.... wow, in great shape, in good condition and very sharp,... and the car looked good too! Seriously, Ammar could pass as a fashion model or Hollywood actor.

His Orion blue coupe with C7-Evolution & pano roof is 10 years old and has some of the issue common with our cars,... and since he lives in a condo its a bit more challenging to DIY. One of the first things he mention was the jumping pogo door lock problem at both doors that the MB dealership wants $1600 to fix ($800 each). I fixed it for him with my secret two second one penny solution,... when I showed him, he was like,... seriously, no way would that work,... but it did! And it only took a couple of seconds to get that fix,.. well, more of a hack,... out of the way.

His coupe also has that clicking foot vent problem that's well documented in the sticky,... there's no short cuts for that one,.... so that's for another time.

Ammar was able to recreate the bouncy RPM problem by disconnecting his throttle body wire. He already cleaned the throttle body the day before,... but there was already quite a bit of oil there (car has about 212,000 km),... so we cleanned it again with CRC ThrottleBody cleaner.

Bouncy RPM could also be caused by oil in main wiring harness from leaking cam sensor getting to sender unit of post cat O2 sensor. Bouncy RPM could also be caused by bad or dirty MAF sensor. Cam sensor magnet has been changed and pig tails installed and there is no sign of any leaking oil,... main wiring harness plugs are clean at ECU. We took the MAF Sensor out of and cleaned it with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner,.... MAF Sensor was reasonably clean to start with but there was quite a bit of oil downstream in the tubes closer to that infamous %#@*& clamp.

The main wiring harness is in good shape,... no visible damage anywhere and the plugs that I checked are all clean with no trace of oil.

Since he got a P0120 (Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Malfunction) & P0730 (Incorrect Gear Ratio) it seems to focus on Throttle Body. That $12 vent hose has been replaced and is in good condition (checked because its so close to ThrottleBody). Bouncy RPM only happens in morning,... so likely due to cold engine with throttle body gucked up with thicker oil or electrical due to lower voltage or amperage that might be caused by a slight battery drain.

Ammar still has original battery in car,... it was load tested recently and is fine,... but its 10 years old! I'm really **** about changing out car battery every 5 years, regardless,.... and 7 years would be really pushing your luck,.... but at 10 years?!?!? Anyways, I still think he should change out his car battery with another OEM Mercedes car battery,... these cars do weird things when the car battery is about to go. In the morning when it might have problem, go into "dyno-mode" and check on voltage before car start, at idle and at 2000 RPM. MB car battery are $300 at Canadian MB Stealerships,.... but only $150 at American MB dealerships.

Focus on cleaning ThrottleBody before having to replace it. But if ThrottleBody must be replaced,...

If throttle body part# is 2711410025,... it list for $1460 from American MB dealerships.
http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAsse...tring=throttle

This source is really a Mercedes dealership in US that sells for about 20% off list.
www.getmercedesparts.com/oem-Mercedes-parts.html

You can get the exact same Bosch OEM part for $736.45US from RMEuropean.com
http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.asp...ord=2711410025

And its even cheaper at AutohausAZ.com at $568.95US,... shipping within USA included. I would personally highly recommend AutohausAZ.com ,.... great products (especially OEM stuff) at great prices with great customer service and returns when neccessary.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...oep=2711410025

Your best bet would probably be via AutohausAZ.com. They usually ship via UPS,... best to have it shipped to CBI-USA in NiagaraFalls, NY and go there to pick it up yourself for $6 per package fee.
http://www.cbiusa.com/

If shipping by FedEx, once the package is in transit, on FedEx tracking page, you could use the "Hold At FedEx Location" option to have it diverted to a FedEx (Kinko) Office location in Buffalo. This avoids the $6 CBI charge but you only have 5 regular business days to pick it up before FedEx sends it back to sender.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM

C230 KOMPRESSOR (2003)
Thank you Raymond for your time and help the other day, you are not only a very helpful person but also very kind with your words. I hope it does not sound like too much of a bromance :P ..lol

I am so glad that you fixed the stupid door lock problem for me, I have been locking and unlocking it since just to see it work. Its quite the sight for these eyes after years of looking like an idiot in parking lot trying to unlock your car while people think you are breakin into someone else's... haha

Though we couldnot fix the P0120 problem but the MAF clean and a thorough throttle body clean has lightened up the car the way it runs.

Thanks once again and the links that you provided.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:27 AM

CLK 200 KOMPRESSOR
Car revving

I had the exact problem i saw in your video, the car was doing the same revving, with the esp error and no pedal response and when stopped and started again was running normal, on a '04 clk 200 kompressor and i tried a few months to resolve it, in the end the car was doing that revving everytime i started it, i went to mercedes dealer and after the diagnosis, they told me that it's sure the problem was the throttle body. They told me a potentiometer has failed in the throttle body and that's why this is happening. If i was removing the intake temperature sensor which is right next to the throttle body the car was going normal but the consumption went up and the engine light was on, because when you unplug that sensor the throttle body is not reading any sensors and just going from minimum to maximum depending on how you press the pedal. A new one is around 1000$, but i found a throttle body with the same part number for 120$ which was from a '07 slk 200 kompressor, after i changed it and connected the sensors the car went perfectly and the check engine light went off.Since then the car is going very nice. I hope this helps you because this problem gave me a hard time.
The following users liked this post:
noisytrain (04-04-2023)
Old 02-21-2015, 07:21 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SL65 AMG, 2005 Porsche Carrera, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2001 Acura CL Type S
Engine harness

My CL has the same problem described here with P0120 and revving up and down when the code is thrown.

Can someone share the part numbers (CL 600, W215):

- engine (wiring?) harness
- vent hose (mentioned above in the post, price point $12)
- Throttle voltage sensors

Thank you,

S.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SL65 AMG, 2005 Porsche Carrera, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2001 Acura CL Type S
Hello SunnyRay,

I was wondering if you can share the part numbers for the engine harness, the vent hose and throttle voltage sensors?

My CL 600 (W215) has the same issue with P0120. For now, I am erasing the code whenever it comes up but I have to find a permanent solution
Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by CL600CK60V12
Hello SunnyRay,

I was wondering if you can share the part numbers for the engine harness, the vent hose and throttle voltage sensors?

My CL 600 (W215) has the same issue with P0120. For now, I am erasing the code whenever it comes up but I have to find a permanent solution

Seriously????

Share part number???? How am I suppose to know part number for your CL600??? Look at the part on your car,.... All Mercedes parts have part number stamped on them.

If you still can't figure out the part number then just bring it to your local Mercedes-benz Stealership,... they'll be happy to take care of it for you.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 PM

md

Too many icons and question marks.

Can you please clarify what you meant by "vent hose" in your post and I will take from there.

thank you,

S.

Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
Seriously????

Share part number???? How am I suppose to know part number for your CL600??? Look at the part on your car,.... All Mercedes parts have part number stamped on them.

If you still can't figure out the part number then just bring it to your local Mercedes-benz Stealership,... they'll be happy to take care of it for you.

Last edited by CL600CK60V12; 02-22-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:40 PM

CL600CK60V12 Seriously????

You do realize that your CL600 with V12 engine is totally different than the engines found in W203/CL203, right? So why would you think a $12 rubber hose from a W203/CL203 would solve your issues??? Why??? Just because both cars generate the same OBD2 code of P0120??? Seriously???? No, Seriously????
Old 02-22-2015, 03:03 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
On a side note, cl600, you can go to parts.com, mbpartsworld.com, or epc.startekinfo.com to check the part diagrams and find the stuff you need.
The last site is free, just requires a US credit card for validation, and it is the system that dealers use.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM

ESP

Thank you. I have gathered the info I need to understand potential causes of this issue (P0120 / ESP Malfunction) and now the fun begins. Emphasis is on understanding the potential causes so that I can narrow down troubleshooting.

@Sunny: if you don't want to share your experience, that's fine but then also don't share your condescending "advice." You wrote yourself that you could not figure out the root cause of P0120 but you were able to at least eliminate other potential causes.

This forum exists for sharing experience with troubleshooting Mercedes and understanding how ESP works is generally useful in troubleshooting any MB model - especially because ESP Malfunction is notoriously difficult to debug.

Sorry I asked, Sunny. Enjoy your emoticons.

S.

Last edited by CL600CK60V12; 02-23-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by CL600CK60V12
Thank you. I have gathered the info I need to understand potential causes of this issue (P0120 / ESP Malfunction) and now the fun begins. Emphasis is on understanding the potential causes so that I can narrow down troubleshooting.

@Sunny: if you don't want to share your experience, that's fine but then also don't share your condescending "advice." You wrote yourself that you could not figure out the root cause of P0120 but you were able to at least eliminate other potential causes.

This forum exists for sharing experience with troubleshooting Mercedes and understanding how ESP works is generally useful in troubleshooting any MB model - especially because ESP Malfunction is notoriously difficult to debug.

Sorry I asked, Sunny. Enjoy your emoticons.

S.

CL600CK60V12, go through my history of posts here, I do a very good job of sharing my experiences and knowledge on W203 & CL203. I'm quite sure me and the OP figured out how to solve the P0120 problem; OP just needed to acquire a new throttle to see if it works.

CL600CK60V12, next time don't be so pretentious as to ask me to fetch you part numbers for your CL600 (see your post #39 on this thread).

Bottomline, CL600CK60V12 if you don't want to be treated in a condescending manner,.. than don't treat others in a condescending manner.

BTW,.... what does ESP have to do with all this???

CL600CK60V12, my advice to you,... just take your car to a real Mercedes mechanic before you do any more damage to it,... seriously.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:11 PM

CLK 430
Is there a solution?

Hi Amaar,

Did you manage to solve your dilemma?

If so, what was the culprit of your problem?

Any advice appreciated as I have tried all the proposed solutions and nothing

Thanks,
Old 03-29-2015, 04:08 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Have you tried replacing the engine harness.?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 AM

c200 kompressor
Originally Posted by markinnaples
This just started happening with my car tonight.

I guess I'll just give it a shot of carb cleaner tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Ugh, 114k miles and it's starting to give me a fair amount of issues.
hey
my c200 jus started doing this today. after you gave it a shot of carb cleaner did it go back to normal?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:52 PM

Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG
Had a similar issue on my c230k it turn out to be a bad oxygen sensor
Old 12-11-2017, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
C230 Sport Coup + 2006 W164 ML350 + 99 Ford Escort (What the heck, it gets 38 mpg!)
I have a TPS for sale on ebay if anyone ever needs one...I've had it for quite some time....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222144264214
Make me an offer....