C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Wheel Bolt "issues"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 Kompressor Coupe
Wheel Bolt "issues"

First off, Yes, I've read the wheel thread. Either I'm blind, or I'm using the wrong search terms.

The harsh Alberta roads claimed one of the factory Rims/tires on my C230 Coupe. Its august here, so I hit up kijiji/craigslist looking for Winters on Rims. I found a BEAUTIFUL set of 18 inch Konigs, pulled from a 2003 Audi, with brand new rubber, and one tiny curb ding (bout the size of a pencil eraser) for 600 dollars.

I went to install these with the 39mm Lug Bolts that were in the original wheels, and realized they went in WAY TOO FAR. I couldn't move the vehicle without hearing a metallic scrape. I then installed the "Shorties" that come with the spare tire, and it worked perfect, but I'm not confident in the amount of rotations into the wheel I have. The hubs sit fine though, 66.6 or whatever.

My question is - what is the proper length for these wheel bolts? I see some online that are 30mm, and that would seem accurate. I'm kinda broke, so I'd prefer order the right ones...

Thank you ever so much
Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
from initial start of the thread to it being tightened it should be 6 full rotations. if you want to get the proper length, take your factory wheel and lug bolt and place it in and make sure the lug bolt is all the way in. now from the inside of the wheel, measure how much lug bolt is sticking out. Now take the same factory lug bolt and place it in the new wheel and measure how much is sticking out. now take the difference to get the length you need. There is actually a thread on how to do this, guess you didnt search hard enough lol
Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Haha, apparently not? I dont see how I'd get a measuring tape into the hole, but alright I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
you do it with the wheel off. youre measuring the part of the lug bolt sticking out the back of the wheel. so take a tape measure and place it to the back face of the wheel hub and measure how much bolt is sticking out from the hub. not that hard
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 PM

I'm an idiot LOL, thanks again
Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 AM

Ok, I hate to bring this back up, but I've done those things, and I got the "right size" bolt. The shank length I ended up getting was 25mm. So I first bolt this on my rear-drivers side (where the tire had blown) I had been running the donut at this point with 0 issues.

As soon as I roll forward after tightening the lugs, I hear that insane screeching again. Its impossible to drive like this, so I remove the wheel and re-attach my spare. Now IT is screaming like a banshee as well, possibly worse. Now I KNOW I've got the right bolts, the spare is using the OEM Mercedes bolts, they only stick out about 17mm (yes, I measured those too.

I'm at my witts end, now I've got a car I cant even drive. Does anyone have ANY hints before I tow this to a garage?? Anything I should be checking for??

Never had these issues on my old Jeeps hahaaa
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
now are you using the shorter lug bolts that come with the spare tire or did you use the regular lug bolts that you use on the OEM wheels? Our spares come with way shorter lug bolts than the regular bolts. If you didnt use the shorter spare lug bolts then you probably damaged your parking brake. Theres some times that you probably pushed in thats rubbing against rotor now.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Obviously you didn't read or SEARCH the wheel thread very thoroughly,.... nor your owner's manual,.... as a result, it sounds like you messed up your parking brakes.

BTW,... using original lug bolts on aftermarket rims usually isn't a good idea,... aftermarket rims usually have cone seats whereas Mercedes rims have ball seats,... and ball seats come in 3 different sizes, R12, R13 & R14. Make sure the seat match in shape and size and then follow 6 rotation rule.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM

You nailed that, I totally DIDN'T read the owners manual, OR search the Forums before hand. (I've been doing this stuff a while and didn't figure I needed to) I've never had a vehicle that required different lugs for different wheels.

Day 1 was when I tried Factory Lugs on Konig wheels, thats when I damaged it I think. Then I went back to Spare tire with Spare-tire-Lugs.

Lastly, I measured and purchased the proper length lugs. (Cone Fit, not Ball-Seat) and they fit fine with the 6 rotation rule (MAYBE 6.5) however the damage has been done. I'm taking it to a European motor shop tomorrow to have that parking break (or whatever it is) moved back. Then I'll install these rims.

Lesson learned, thats for sure. Just because I've worked on a hundred other cars, doesn't mean these are the same.

And again, my thanks. I went through the W203 Wiki again last night reading all the documents on the rear disc system in our cars.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
its a common problem when guys on here decide to put wheels on and dont read up about having to get different lug bolts then end up damaging the rear parking brake. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

I just make life easier with myself and did a wheel stud conversion, I never have to worry about lug bolts again. I've gone through too many lug bolts since I've gone through 4 different wheels now that I decided to do the conversion, one of the best and easiest mods I think. Well if youre a wheel junky like me and always removing your wheels like I do.