C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fog Light Wires Gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
Fog Light Wires Gone

Got in a little fender bender the other day. The passenger side fog light fell out from it. My wife drove the car w/out the fog light in. I'm not positive but I think during that time the fog wiring may have got caught in the wheel and ripped out. Since now I cant find the fog wire anywhere, along with the outside temp sensor. My dash says it's 185 degrees outside all the time now. I've looked from the front of the car all the way to the dash. It's gone. The problem is I can't even tell where exactly the wiring is supposed to be, so that I can re-wire it. All the diagrams i've seen only show the fog light itself, not how it's wired through the engine bay. i'm also having a hard time finding what wires I need specifically and where I can buy them.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
the fog wire runs to the front sam according to the fuse diagram. you'll have to look for the wire that runs to the sam to the fog light.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by phister
the fog wire runs to the front sam according to the fuse diagram. you'll have to look for the wire that runs to the sam to the fog light.
But that's what I'm saying. That wire is completely gone. I have no wires anywhere running to the passenger fog lights. Im pretty sure I need to buy a new one, but no idea how to wire it or what type of wire it is.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Same thing with your fogs happened to me with the coupe. I just tapped into the right fog light wiring and drew a wire from there to the left and problem solved. Only thing is I always have a Error saying my left fogs out.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 AM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by Peydidy
Same thing with your fogs happened to me with the coupe. I just tapped into the right fog light wiring and drew a wire from there to the left and problem solved. Only thing is I always have a Error saying my left fogs out.
Ahhh, didnt think of trying that. Pretty good idea. Might also try hitting up some of the mercedes dismantlers here. As long as it's not too hard to install
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM

12 BMW 535Xi; Retired 02 C230 Sport Coupe
Have you traced back the undamaged fog to its source? I would assume the source is the same. I traded my car so can't go check for you.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM

2006 mercedes c230
Originally Posted by Blackbradpitt
Got in a little fender bender the other day. The passenger side fog light fell out from it. My wife drove the car w/out the fog light in. I'm not positive but I think during that time the fog wiring may have got caught in the wheel and ripped out. Since now I cant find the fog wire anywhere, along with the outside temp sensor. My dash says it's 185 degrees outside all the time now. I've looked from the front of the car all the way to the dash. It's gone. The problem is I can't even tell where exactly the wiring is supposed to be, so that I can re-wire it. All the diagrams i've seen only show the fog light itself, not how it's wired through the engine bay. i'm also having a hard time finding what wires I need specifically and where I can buy them.

I have the same problem with my c230 2006. I can't trace back the wire which was ripped out by the tire. Did you have any luck?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 c280
Same issue here! Didn't think this was that common. Damn.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:55 PM

C230k coupe,08 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins, 71 Satellite
Originally Posted by Stuka Bomber
Same issue here! Didn't think this was that common. Damn.
Yeah,
2002 coupe.
Everything is gone and temp showing 185.

Guess it's off to Youtube.

I have 2 new fog lights and 2 pig tails.
No place to hook the passenger up to. LOL
Old 01-15-2022, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Did you take a good look with the underbody cover removed? The broken end of the wire has to be around somewhere. Put the car on a hoist if you have to.

The stock fogs are 55W, so you'd need something that carries at least 5A. I'd probably go 7-10A to be safer.

I wouldn't recommend running wires to the other fog light as that would most likely overload the wiring. Also the bulb error from the R side would drive me nuts personally.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 230 sport
Me too

I hit curb lost fog light wire and ambient temperature wire does anyone know where it would
would anyone know where the start from to connect and fix ?
Old 01-16-2022, 12:59 PM

C230k coupe,08 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins, 71 Satellite
Originally Posted by jocaho
I hit curb lost fog light wire and ambient temperature wire does anyone know where it would
would anyone know where the start from to connect and fix ?
I bought 2 fog lamps and 2 pig tails.
I had nothing under the fender well area either.
Also my ambient temp sensor does not work.

I found yesterday the wires had been pulled out up by the coolant reservoir tank.
There is a big package of brown wires that are grounds.
The larger green/brown wires go to the fog lamp.
I tried to test for 12v but all the meter would do is flash. I'm assuming the PC cuts power immediately when it sees a short or open circuit.
After hooking the fog lamp up and turning it on, worked perfect.
I temporarily butt spliced them in with wires to extend down to the new pigtail that plugs into the lamp bulb.

The smaller brown/green wires show constant 5v.
I ordered a new temp sensor for 10 bucks off ebay and will install it next week.
I'll hook all the wires up with soldier seal connectors to keep the moisture out then.

Couple pics of location for pass. side light/sensor below.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:03 AM

clk 2009
fog light wire found

Okay so after a very painful hair ripping out experience i ended up cutting most the sheeth back from pretty much every wiring loom behind the reservoir bottle and found what one it is (same colour)((green with black stripe)) and just stripped another brown wire that was of a thicker gauge and crimpped them together and re sheethed
Here are two photos one of in the engine bay and the other where it was snapped off
Hope this helps someone

This thick cord runs down the wheel arch and behind the reservoir bottle passenger side and has only one green cord with a black stripe down it which is the power for the fog light

This is the mess after cutting the sheeths off and finally finding where it has been pulled from its factory possition behind the reservoir bottle, i still had the cord that got ripped out so i could estimate roughly where it was snappped. When assesing the sheeth i couldnt for the life of me find the point where it snapped. But its over now and all this work just to swap out my bulbs for leds, they gave me the wrong ones and i forgot to put the plug back in Never doing that again
Old 06-12-2023, 11:05 PM

Mercedes c230 sport
Originally Posted by Blackbradpitt

It's on the passenger side following the side marker wires they both run into the harnesses together the thicker green wire is the fog light small green wire is the air sensor both use the brown wires as the ground