C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport
Decisions, decisions

Ok, so i am facing a slightly small dilema. I bought my car 1 month ago, 2006 C230 Sport in great condition with only 46k miles, I got it for $16,500. Black on black. I usually do my research before committing to a car. Given that I traded in my 2008 Honda Civic (very reliable and great gas mileage), I wanted something a little more me. No offense to anyone but everytime I saw someone in a civic, it was usually a girl. Anyway, my best friend has an 05 C230 K and we've taken it out all the time and man is that car a beauty. So after researching it and seeing the many great reviews I decided to go for it and get it.

There are a couple things that i want to do to this car so it can fit my taste (tinted windows, 19" wheels, ipod integration, W204 grill with the flat hood badge, roof spoiler...)

Anyhow, my point is that after reading through the forums, I find that my car is prone to transmission issues AND the balance shaft proplem (I got my VIN checked and sure enough my engine falls in the range) from the looks of what people have been estimated to repair thats about $6k that I do not have. BUT the thing is that I have already encountered the transmission issue that a lot of the members of this forum have encountered with 722.9 transmission, luckily my car is under warranty so theyre taking care of that as we speak (or write). So now I either have to save up $4K to prepare for the balance shaft issue or contemplate on trading it in for something more reliable.

So I been looking around at other W203 and found a nice black on black 07 C280 4 matic with 116k miles for about $12998. this is the VIN WDBRF92HX7F858479, so if anyone can do me the kind favor of checking the VIN and telling me if the engine serial number falls in the range of affected engines. I know its high mileage and I like that its a 4Matic since the winters in the DC area can be pretty rough. However, I don't know what kind of problems these kind of cars have when they go into high mileage. I had a 98 Lexus ES300 with 244K that still ran pretty solid but we aren't talking Lexus here. So if anyone has any ideas, recommendations, feedback, or what have you I would appreciate it. I was initially gonna get a TSX but once I saw the beautiful C230 with low miles, how could i say no....now I have buyer's remorse.....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Is Mercedes not helping out people with the balance shaft issue? I thought they were. What kind of warranty do you have?

I would not trade in the 06 230 for the 07 280 it just doesn't make sense.

PS - can't put a W204 grille on a W203.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Is Mercedes not helping out people with the balance shaft issue? I thought they were. What kind of warranty do you have?

I would not trade in the 06 230 for the 07 280 it just doesn't make sense.

PS - can't put a W204 grille on a W203.
Thanks for your response LilBenz. I've looked into that and so far I haven't seen anything that says they are. I got my car from a Landrover/Jaguar dealership so right now I am on there Limited 3 month/3K mile warranty so they're taking care of the transmission issue but I read that the balance shaft issue is unpredictable when it may become apparent. I take very well of all my cars keeping up with maintenance and all but I hear that even that won't help. I really don't want to trade it in. I love the rear wheel drive and the car is overall in great condition. The balance shaft issue is the only thing that worries me...just wondering...why wouldn't it make sense to trade the 06 230 for the 07 280?

Sorry, I meant that I would put a W204 style grill (i think I saw one on CariD.com) the 3-fin style with the large star in the center. This is the link http://www.carid.com/2006-mercedes-c...es-434964.html
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see it is hit or miss.. with low miles you might have a shot. It would ultimately be cheaper to extend the warranty than pay for that repair. Might be something to consider.

I dislike the C280 personally. Without the sport package the W203 looks very bland and dated. The benefit would be that it would be past the balance shaft issue and have the reliable 722.6 transmission. However, before I'd take something like the C280.. I'd just buy a different brand altogether. A TSX would be a nice car.

What is the cost hit you'll take by trading now, though?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:00 PM

I see it is hit or miss.. with low miles you might have a shot. It would ultimately be cheaper to extend the warranty than pay for that repair. Might be something to consider.

I dislike the C280 personally. Without the sport package the W203 looks very bland and dated. The benefit would be that it would be past the balance shaft issue and have the reliable 722.6 transmission. However, before I'd take something like the C280.. I'd just buy a different brand altogether. A TSX would be a nice car.

What is the cost hit you'll take by trading now, though?
You're right it is hit or miss. That was my next option, extend the warranty, and hope that the balance shaft issue comes up between now and the time that the warranty expires so I am not stuck with the costs. I saw that MB has an extended warranty but I believe that only applies to vehicles purchased CPO from them, but it can't hurt for me to try.

That's the thing that I love about the C230 is the sporty look, when I was looking at the C280 it did not appeal to my eye much, although I've heard its more reliable. The Cost hit that I'd be taking would be about $2-3k dollars, Since I financed $16k, my trade in will be about $13-14K but I am pretty confident I can squeeze out more from them given that I got close to $3k more from my civic with 61K miles on it (they offered me 9k, ended up giving me $12k for it because I wouldn't budge since I wasn't too eager to be trading it in. Might have to look for a TSX or another C230 that isn't affected by the balance shaft issue.

Thanks so much for your input though, I really appreciate hearing others opinions and you have been a great help.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you sure about that trade in value? I would think an 06 C230 would be closer to $10-11 at this point on trade.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Are you sure about that trade in value? I would think an 06 C230 would be closer to $10-11 at this point on trade.
I'm about 80% sure. When I traded in my civic I research KBB NADA and my brother who works at a bank looked at this appraisal system he uses and average trade in value was like $11k. When I actually went to the dealer, they offered me just under $9k. I laughed and told them I wasn't trading it in for that low. After going back and forth they gave me $12K but i owed $12.3K on it so the difference they added it to the Benz.

So i've been researching the trade in value for the C230 the same way and it ranges from $13K-16K(clean trade-in from NADA is about $16K)They will prob offer me $10-12k since they want to profit as much as possible but we'll see how that works out. If I am out $2-3k, for peace of mind, I'll be ok with that. Forking over $4k to fix a known issue is risky and I won't have a peace of mind since I'll be worrying about transmission, electrical, engine issues that may arise in the future. Idk though, there is still alot I have to think about in the mean time, i'll enjoy it like I have been.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Seems to me that you're putting the car way before the horse here, and assuming that you'll have a problem, when you really have no idea if you will.

My suggestion is keep the car, drive it, and when and if it does break down at some later date, THEN you do a cost/benefit analysis. I think you're letting your paranoia get the best of you, and from where I see it, it's gonna cost you $2-3k to resolve your "problem". If it'll make you feel better, invest a couple of grand specifically for future repairs (or get an extended warranty, though those can be fairly useless unless you read all of the writing in the agreement).

Not for nothing, but most W203 sedan drivers I see are women, too.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tommy
Seems to me that you're putting the car way before the horse here, and assuming that you'll have a problem, when you really have no idea if you will.

My suggestion is keep the car, drive it, and when and if it does break down at some later date, THEN you do a cost/benefit analysis. I think you're letting your paranoia get the best of you, and from where I see it, it's gonna cost you $2-3k to resolve your "problem". If it'll make you feel better, invest a couple of grand specifically for future repairs (or get an extended warranty, though those can be fairly useless unless you read all of the writing in the agreement).

You know what tommy, you are absolutely right, I am acting paranoid. I mean I love the car and it drives great (so far lol) I think I may just end up getting the extended warranty at the dealer (not before reading the fine print of course). I have money saved up now, I just don't want to blow it on repairs but you make a good point. I still got to put a lot of thought into it and paying $2-3k to solve my problem may not be a smart thing (plus I don't think creditors will be too happy if Im applying for financing every couple of months). Your input was very helpful as well and I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by tommy
Not for nothing, but most W203 sedan drivers I see are women, too.
It's funny you say that because as I was heading out to lunch I saw two women from my job heading out as well in separate W203's, isn't that a coincidence. Oh well at least my W203 doesn't feel like a girly car when I am driving it like when I drove around in my civic.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If you had done a K swap, a turbo, some TE37s, and GC/Koni co's, it would have felt less girly.

Of course, you'd be 7-10k in the hole, too.

Good luck, and don't forget to enjoy driving your C230 - as with any car, it makes a lousy investment, so squeeze as much fun as you can out of it.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Indeed. If the short warranty provided by the dealer is indeed fixing the 7G transmission issue, you should be good on that one. The balance shaft issue is very scary, yes, but it is not a guarantee by any means. Maintain the car to the letter, whatever you do.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ford Fusion
If extending the MB warranty doesn't work for you, you can always try Mercury Insurance Group. You can quote your vehicle at www.extended-vehicle-warranty.com and also download sample contracts to review contract provisions.
Let me know if you need any help!
Michelle
michelle@auto-pom.com
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
The balance shaft sprocket issue is hit or miss (I hope it misses me because Mrs. NCMudbug's car is in the range also), but I could swear that Glyn assured us that MB would take care of that if it happened. I believe he mentioned there was ongoing litigation (or perhaps it was complete) and MB would definitely take care of those with the problem. I did a search, but I couldn't find his post. Anyway, if that has changed, I'd sure like to know!

WRT the grille, I would not buy it from CariD. I've bought things from them and they were honest and their products were fine, but many people here have bought theirs from a vendor on ebay for a lot less money than what CariD charges.

Good luck and post some pictures!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The litigation was a failure from everything I read about it. And MB covering it is also hit or miss.