C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C180 Auto - Wont Start; No Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180
C180 Auto - Wont Start; No Dash Lights

I was travelling home last night and parked the car road side to pick up something on the way. When I came back to the car, I opened the car and inserted the key fob and tried turning it to switch on the car and suddenly dashboard lights went off, key wont turn, all electronics went dead - no horn, no in car lamps/lights, no hazard lights, no head lights, absolutely no display on instrument cluster. Central Locking stopped, could no longer lock / unlock the car using central locking.. It was a total blackout of everything.

I was searching for solutions to problem online but couldnt find anything, I wasnt sure if it was due to car being immobilized due to anti theft system or if it was due to some failed component or if it was aging key sensor(I just have one car key, so couldnt try another to isolate this)..

I kept struggling for a while and after reading some random posts on internet, I thought of disconnecting battery for a while to see if it helps.. The moment I touched the battery box to disconnect it, suddenly car lights came back on, along with dashboard lights. I went back in and tried starting the car and it started with instrument cluster showing ESP couldnt be activated due to a fault. I turned the engine off and it said 1 fault and showed the same ESP error. I tried starting again and this time no ESP error and it said "No Malfunction" on switching off this time, and I could just drive off without any issues after that.. Tried switching Off and On again several times but car worked well after that.

I am not sure what happened to the car momentarily and if I could run into such a problem again. Any suggestions or help is appreciated..

Thanks,
Abhi

Car Details: 2002 C180(W203) Petrol, Auto - Avantgrande; 77K Miles done
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
If everything came back on when you touched the battery cables, I would say it's loose or they aren't making full contact and better get that checked out. It doesn't sound like a big deal though. You should be fine
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 PM

C180
Thanks for your reply. I will try checking for any loose connections and post an update.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Possible that too much oxidation formed between battery terminal and battery cable contacts. Thus, they need to be sanded down,... just so it's nice and shiny.

Follow instructions in owners manual for procedure on how to disconnect and reconnect battery,... otherwise you can damage the electronics in your car.

How old is battery,... date stamp on top of negative terminal. If more than 5 years,... it's time to change it.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM

C180
the terminals were pretty clean.. though cable connection on negative terminal was very loose.. tighten it up and i m back on road again.. thanks much
Old 09-17-2015, 07:01 AM

2001 C180
Unhappy DASH OR NO DASH

Hi guys maybe u can advise me. Barney here, I've followed your site forums for some time and have enjoyed and learned stuff from the discussions over the time my wife has had the 2nd hand C180. Procured locally in immaculate condition in 2012, from a private seller with 97k kms on the clock for $14k.
Everybody Happy!!!!!!
My wife's car is a 2001 C180 (WDC203)
Beautiful vehicle in all respects but it has cost me some dollars.

2013 New rotors and Bendix (low dust) pads which I fitted myself. $225
2014 $3.5k to replace the Variable valve timing gear with a non genuine set up fitted by a supposedly reputable Mercedes Mechanic.
New battery fitted by Bockman Batteries special price $220

Has been going great till a coupla weeks ago when it was announced the DASH lights and indicators weren't working!! 1930pm
WTF
I'ld had a coupla drinks, which was a mistake when I investigated the situation. Yep sure enough no dash lights, but the car did start and run fine down the road.
I knew I should have asked u guys first but was under pressure U know?
Work in the morning and all that crap!!!
Ok lets try resetting everything by, YOU guessed it disconnecting the battery
Don't ever ever do this EVER
It totally locked everything out of everything leaving me only one choice RACV which was no help at all and the car was loaded into a flatbed & has been @ the Mercedes dealer for the past 3.5 weeks for them to diagnose what I had already told them wasa dash instrument problem.
Anyway Today they ring to inform me that:
WOOHOO WE"VE found the problem and the fix is this:
New instrument cluster straight from Melbourne $2,875
Technician instalment (lobour cost) $574.62

I said

Anyone wont a non going immaculate 2001 C180????
thanks for listening will look forward to any all advise
ta
Alan

Last edited by 22barneys; 09-17-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: new post
Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
AFAIK you can get a used instrument cluster, the only issue will be that the total mileage will not be displaying on it.