C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How To: Lower a C240 4Matic (on a budget) - In detail

Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 4Matic, Evo VIII
How To: Lower a C240 4Matic (on a budget) - In detail

Alright guys, I have a 03 C240 4matic.

This car is my daily driver. Because I live in Maine I really wanted the 4matic for the winter months. My plan for this car is just a clean and low daily driver, nothing crazy. However, when I looked and ordered Tein S-Tech springs for the car, I was a little upset that it read "fits all models c240", however when I received them from Tein it read "except coupe, 4matic".

I started investigating as to why it wouldn't work with the 4matic's. I found that the tophat of the spring assembly was too small for the coil to set in, however the rears fit in perfectly.

I am not one to run cut springs, and do not advise doing it However, since I drive my car a total of probably 20 miles a day, I wanted to get it low ASAP. (I can't stand a stock ride height car) - I know you're probably like "oh my god another cheap *** honda kid on a MB forum", But like I said, this car is not going to be raced or driven aggressively, that's what the EVO is for. For people looking how to lower a c240 4matic without buying an expensive set of springs, this is how to do it.

First off, I started out with the rears. Very simple. All I did was pull the wheel off. Took an impact to one side of the bolt(wrench on the nut) closest to the rear end on the LCA.

Remove that bolt, pull Down on the LCA bottom of the rear rotor and it will pivot. Swap the new springs in and boom. Re-assemble. Don't forget to put the plastic skidplate back on.

Do that to the other side, same process and the rears are done.

Fronts - Here's where the cutting is.

Pull the front wheel off. You will see a long endlink from the sway bar that bolts onto the strut. This will need to be removed to pull the strut/spring assembly out.

Once that is removed, pull all of the clips pinning things onto the strut. (brake line, sensor cables etc)

Remove the 2 bolts on the bottom of the strut/spring

Remove the 3 bolts on the top of the strut/spring

Pull it down and out, may have to pivot it to get it out from under there.

Now remove the other side.

Once you remove them, I used wall mounted spring compressors. The strut is reversed, instead of pushing UP, it compresses DOWN. Meaning you're going to have to pull that strut UP to get the tophat back on there.

Shaving the springs down
I took out 2 and a half coils. My ride height is very equal. however, if you are curious of how your ride height is going to be, start wherever you feel comfortable.

Re-assemble the front springs, and put them back in.

Drive very carefully on them for the first few days. Make sure they are settling flat.

I've measured the rears. It lowered it 3.2 inches (settled) and 2.1 inches in the front (settled).

What I have noticed from driving on cut front springs and tein rears
The ride is still comfortable, very responsive. I have run into one problem though. On some bumps or very crowned roads, I scrape. The car looks great, no more excessive wheel gap. It doesn't clunk or ride stiff. It's the same ride quality as far as I can tell without the crazy height, especially in the rear.

Upon inspection of the front coils (the cut ones) I have noticed that the bottom piece has settled flat. (You will know what I'm talking about)

Here are some pictures.

Like I said, I'm not one to cut springs. However for my plans for the car, it worked and I'm really happy with how it came out. I'm posting this because when I looked for a how-to for this, I found nothing.

Last edited by umadevo; 11-04-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM

W203 c240
???

How much did you cut off on the springs. I wanna do it to my car.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Don't cut the springs you can get aftermarket springs so cheap that will be way more reliable and safe.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Don't cut the springs you can get aftermarket springs so cheap that will be way more reliable and safe.
+1 I would not trust cut springs

H&R sells a kit for C240 4matic, part # 29230-1
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM

2004 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by Boom vang

H&R sells a kit for C240 4matic, part # 29230-1
How much is the kit?!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by marquisalley
How much is the kit?!
you have to do a search, it is not hard, I found this in about 10 seconds

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...5&autoModClar=

it lists for a wagon but on H&R website it has the same part number for sedan and wagon 4matic

Last edited by Boom vang; 10-27-2013 at 12:42 PM.