C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Trailer hitches and bike racks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Integra GS
Trailer hitches and bike racks?

Hi folks,

Anybody have one? Suggestions? I like the modular trail hitch systems which let you use the hitch to either tow stuff (2000lbs for the C230, no?) or switch out to a different unit for carrying bikes behind you. Plus, one argument for C230k over an RSX is the torque for pulling. This makes the Benz a more versatile car actually. Try pulling a popup trailer with 130lb/ft of torque.

The Benz roof rack system looks interesting, but I think I'd prefer the hitch system. I know my bikes could probably fit in the hatch ... but then it might get dirty!!!

Just wondering here.

DT
Old 02-28-2002, 12:51 AM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Hi djtopper!

I've been told that you can't mount a hitch on the C230. To me it looked like the muffler was in the way.
Not sure if you can fit a bike in the back even with the back seats folded.

I purchased the roof-mounting rack from Mercedes. Thule accessories fit it perfectly.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:13 AM

2002 C230k
I asked the dealer about a hitch, he told me the best solution was to take my wife's Jeep...

In fact it's not the hitch itself I'm worried about, that would likely be relatively easy. What I'm worried about is tying into the wiring for the trailer lights. With all the comments here about modifications messing up the electronics, I'm guessing tying into the harness might cause some very bad things...

My solution will likely be to tow my bikes around using my wife's Jeep...

Last edited by Spyke; 02-28-2002 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
If you look in the area where the spare tire is mounted you will notice that most of the floor and "bucket" that holds the spare is actually a big piece of plastic. From memory, I can't recall seeing an area of the sheet metal that is reinforced enough to mount a hitch. You may be out of luck.

As for wiring, that's the easy part. There is a empty slot on the fuse block under the first aid kit that is dedicated to "trailer lights". I'm willing to bet that is just a take-off from the wagon and sedan models. BTW: If you open the fuse panel on the driver's side dash- there is a paper stuck in there that details the locations of the various fuses.

Speaking of plastic off-topic: I'm excited that there is a ton of it on this car. I'm sure some old-school folks would cringe at the thought of so much plastic but, eventually body structures and suspension parts will be mostly plastic. Anyone have a figure on how much of this car is recyclable?

Major plastic coupe parts I can think of off hand:
Bumpers
Rocker panels (side skirts)
Small rear window
Intake manifold
Trunk floor
Dash
Interior trim
Throttle pedal mechanism
Belly pan(s)
Engine covers

I had to replace a the bumper on my wife's old Amigo. It was cool that I could just toss the old one in the recycle bin with the coke bottles!
Old 02-28-2002, 12:39 PM

Acura Integra GS
That's insane!!!

When I was in Europe this past summer (and on previous trips) I saw literally dozens of MB's towing popup campers. It made sense too:

a) it's a great thing to do in Europe since you can traverse several countries in a week
b) the MB is a nice solid car for that kind of cruising

So it seems as though the MB + camper combo is popular in Europe. Why would Mercedes decide to eliminate this possibility with the C coupe?

We younger buyers want flexibility with our cars!!!

Damn. Now I've got to rethink the Saab.

DT
Old 02-28-2002, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
try mats.com

they seem to think it would work but i wouldn't be suprised if they are wrong. maybe you should be the first to find out!
Old 02-28-2002, 10:53 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
U-Haul makes an entire line of hitches that can be attached to almost anything... might be worth to check into them. I'm SURE they can securely attach one to the C230.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:58 PM

Acura Integra GS
Yeah, but how will they look?

I guess part of my concern is how a hitch will look. If there's nothing immediate to attach the thing to on the rear frame, then you end up with a long square bar hanging off the back of your car.

I'll have to wait and see. No hitch makes the c230k a less versatile alternative than say a Saab 9-3.

The madness never ends.

Thanks for the helpful comments so far. I will say that this board is the best I've seen of all the car boards I've been following.

DT
Old 02-28-2002, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
<strike>also check w/ hidden hitch

the coupe is not listed in their car list, but email them. maybe they have one that will work.</strike>

never mind; i just got email back saying they do not have hidden hitches for the mb coupe.

Last edited by young; 03-01-2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:54 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Don't know if the towing hook is an option for the coupe, but it is indeed for the sedan. I have it on my car anyway, even though I didn't use it so far. Still a nice option to have though...
Old 03-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Almost a Member!

If you decide to go the roof rack option, Yakima has a great line of racks and accessories. Since I already had the rack for my last car, I'm just picking up two pair of new clips will mod the rack to fit the C230. That way my bikes will just go on the roof.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:53 PM

2002 C230k
Does Yakima make clips to fit the Coupe? That'd be cool, I've been using mine for over ten years now on different cars and really like it!

(Doesn't help in the "how do I transport my motorcycles" department though)

I'm happy to hear there's a port for the lights. I'm sure there's a solution to the actual receiver issue...
Old 03-04-2002, 09:15 PM

C230 C-Coupe
Has anyone put a rear bike rack on the coupe?

I am interested in buying the Mac Neil rack (http://www.macneil.com/store/vehsear...em_group_id=18).

I like the idea of having a component that can be easily assembled and removed. A roof rack just does not feel secure to me.

My knowledge base consists of this thread and nothing else. So any feedback, instructions or need to know first stuff, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan
Old 03-05-2002, 12:15 AM

2002 C230k
If the hitch problem can be solved, the rack you list would be a decent choice. You need to go with a 1 1/4" receiver to use it... no hitch, no rack.

As for QUALITY roof racks: while they may be a pain to load, they are about the most stable racks out there once installed correctly. I worked in a bike shop for ten years: never saw a roof rack fail without the help of a low-hanging object.

Which brings up tip #1:

When using a roof rack, leave the garage door opener at home. Yeah, I know this doesn't help with the C230's integrated opener... can that opener be disabled easily? (You just THINK you'll remember the bikes are up there. I've heard that numerous times... and trust me, the rack/bikes can do a real number on the car as they are being scraped off by the garage door!)