C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 Buy Back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe in Citron Green
Originally posted by Jim Banville

*anip*
(5) I have ALWAYS said that I consider my MB as "very reliable" because the only problems we ever had were very minor and NEVER affected drivability.

*snip*

VERY WELL PUT! The essence of a car is that it "takes you places", never has my MB failed me in a way the impedes this. The more electronics & gismos you put into a car the more unreliable is will become, and this is a fact.

airplane rule: n.

“Complexity increases the possibility of failure; a twin-engine airplane has twice as many engine problems as a single-engine airplane.” By analogy, in both software and electronics, the rule that simplicity increases robustness. It is correspondingly argued that the right way to build reliable systems is to put all your eggs in one basket, after making sure that you've built a really good basket.

See also KISS Principle, elegant.
I'd prefer to see a survery of how many drivability problems a MB has over the first 5, and 20 years of it's existance. This first year survery is interesting, but that important to me.

I plan on keeping my C230 as long as possible, 5 years at a minimum. Over the past 55 weeks I've owned my car I've racked up over 36,000 miles. This is an average of 650 miles a week. Will my car make it to 169,000 miles at the end of it's 5th year? I''m planning on it!

Who is willing to bet that as a percentage of cars purchased in say, 1980, MB has the most cars still on the road? Prime example: the 300D! You just can't kill them!

Note that I say *cars*, overall I'd be willing to bet that as a percentage, american trucks have the highest percentage of *vehicles* still on the road. This is due to their inherent usefulness.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:06 PM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
Originally posted by Jim Banville
This is a funny phenomenon- Buellwinkle, or someone with his attitude towards MB, bashes their reliability, then I come in and point out concrete evidence to refute his claim, then someone like TXTiger or that girl that traded her MB for a Saab comes in and tells ME to be quiet because they are tired of the reliability debate. Yes, TXTiger did mention being tired of Buellwinkle too, but both he and this other person refer to ME first. TxTiger didn't say "Hey, Buellwinkle (who posted first about MB reliability in this thread) & Jim Banville...cut it out". I don't know. I just think it's strange. Perhaps these people are more tired of people defending MB than those bashing it. Hmm? Anyway.... yes, that MB that got traded in will get sold to some poor SOB that'll buy it, have more problems and come here to biotch about it
Then the bashers will claim this is another MB lemon
I enjoy the thoughtful discussion of issues, especially when there are contrasting viewpoints. What I'm tired of is reading people bicker back and forth as if they were 5 year olds. The reliability topic has quit becoming a thoughtful exchange and denigrated into a series of personal attacks and defenses. No more evidence of this exists than worrying about which order I (or anyone for that matter) call out for certain people to give it a rest.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:57 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Originally posted by Rick
Why does this forum elicit such argumentative and antagonistic replies? What do you people get out of fighting the words on your screen?

I used to come to MBWorld.org for information about my cars and pleasant corespondence with those that share a common interest. What happened? Was Dr. Iggy right about the C-Class lowering the bar on the esteem of a Mercedes owner?

Paging Dr. Iggy.....(those of you who were around back then will remember)
LOL Rick!!!

I remember Dr. Iggy. You guys had some classic debates. I'm sure Bob and Tommy remember him as well.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by David N.
LOL Rick!!!

I remember Dr. Iggy. You guys had some classic debates. I'm sure Bob and Tommy remember him as well.
I remember, too. The Great Sales Monkey Dialogues.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I'm tired of is reading people bicker back and forth as if they were 5 year olds. The reliability topic has quit becoming a thoughtful exchange and denigrated into a series of personal attacks and defenses.
Are you reading the same thread that I am?! I'd say "5 year old bickering" and "personal attacks" would include things like calling each other names (okay... I've referrred to some people as "MB Bashers"...BIG DEAL!), denigrating someone's heritage, or anything that takes the topic of posts off of the subject (MB reliability and someone's buy-back/trade-in stemming from that reliability) and turns into an insult-fest amongst posters. Sorry bud, but I don't see that happening here (unless you want to count your posts, since they don't address the topics of the thread, but only the people involoved and their opinions)

No more evidence of this exists than worrying about which order I (or anyone for that matter) call out for certain people to give it a rest.
Well, when the "put it to rest" people only ask the "defenders" to keep quiet without saying anything in reference to the "bashers", or address them only as a afterthought, their bias is clearly evident.

Hey! Here's a solution... why don't you ask the "bashers" around here to quit lying about MB reliability and I'll have no reason to counter their lies, seeing as how I have never started the conversation about MB reliability. Problem solved
Unless, of course, you are biased towards these bashers and would like their lies to go unchallenged.

Last edited by Jim Banville; 08-01-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:19 PM
JAM

SL600
Wow, what a story that originated the thread--BTW, Brandywine is my dealership as well--good people.

Benz's do have glitches, but I have never experienced the catastrophic failures that the original poster stated.

I'm curious to see what I got myself into with my new C240--so far, zero issues.

On the other hand my 1995 C280 is going strong as is my 1997 S320. Just the typical Benz glitches.... Even my ML (and we all know about the ML's track record) wasn't too terrible.

All-in-all, I would never drive anything other than a Benz.... As long as chrysler doesn't start building them.....