C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C220 w203 not starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 CDI 200
C220 w203 not starting

Hi all,
I am having problem starting my car first thing in morning
once it starts it is fine for the rest of the day

its a c class
Avantgarde c220 cdi 2004.
I put key in , turn it , all lights come on dashboard EXEPT the glow plug light (curly yellow light) I have to keep turning the key in the ignition on and off for about 10-30 minutes then all of the sudden the glow plug light comes on and everything is perfectly fine from then on
before it comes on while the key in ignition on 2 position with all the lights on EXEPT the glow plug light (curly yellow light).

My opinion is that I have trouble with the ecu board, I have checked in a service and they have indicated to go replace the ECU board is any possibility in order to repair the ecu board or any electronic schema that in order to check the ecu board.

can some1 help please???
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Why would you think its the ECU????

How old is your car battery? OEM? Check fuses and relays? Any drains (power seats or overhead fan motor)? Voltage during start, idle and 2K rpm? If you're not sure how to do these test,... just search, covered many times,... over and over,...

Once you've done all these tests,... and have eliminated them as possibilities,... then start looking at something else,.... even then, ECU would be last on my list,.... since ECU faults are very rare,... unless you've done something stupid like tune your ECU incorrectly,... did you tune your ECU????

But if you'll looking at ECU,... blown output stages (no power to injectors) are generally easy and cheap to fix,... about $100. Complex issues like damaged EEPROM (bad tuning-flashing) or faulty ECU programming are more expensive to fix. Replacing a ECU?,... look for another indy,... an honest one,.... your mechanic does NOT sound honest,... either that or he has no idea what he's talking about!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM

C220 CDI 200
Normally I have send to a Mercedes service partner, and they have check the OEM and all the fuses and it results ok.
Now I have checked the voltage of the battery at idles is: 14.43V and with 2K rpm is 14.52v, the battery age I cannot tell you because I have bought the cars 1 year before. I have tried to see in to the battery if there is any production year, but I didn’t manage to find it. (For more info I will attached the photo)
Regarding the fan motors is OK, so it doesn’t react unusual example: turned on with to maximum speed.
We have not touch any think to ECU the only thing was that we have remove and we have check the SAM.
I can try to send the car in another indy but I am afraid because here in Albania are not so specialized.
And for this reason I need to locate the problem. Maybe the problem is the output stages (no power to injectors) and the strange think is that this problem occurred randomly for example.
Now it starts and the glow plug light comes on and everything is perfectly fine.
Is there any possibility to check the voltage from ECU to injectors? Is there any possibility I could localize the problem myself? I have done the start diagnosis in the Mercedes but nothing wrong it appears.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM

C220 CDI 200
Attached are the battery photo.
Attached Thumbnails C220 w203 not starting-img_0957.jpg   C220 w203 not starting-img_0958.jpg   C220 w203 not starting-img_0959.jpg   C220 w203 not starting-img_0960.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
What is Voltage before start?
Voltage at idle should be around 13.6V,... your 14.43V at idle is high
Voltage at 2000RPM should be about 14.3-14.4V,.... your 14.52V is a bit high,...
I wouldn't conclude you have a problem with alternator's voltage regulator,.. but something to keep an eye on.

Redo above test in dyno-mode (search forum for steps),... just in case your voltmeter is off.

On OEM Mercedes car battery,... look at top of negative terminal for date stamp,.... in format of week and last 2 digits of year of production (ie 26 05 would mean made in 26th week of 2005). If over 5 years old, which I'm betting yours is,... replace with OEM Mercedes car battery. Follow instructions in owners manual on replacing car battery.

If ECU was dead,... front radiator fan goes into default mode and spins at maximum speed. Yours really doesn't sound like ECU problem,... trust me, I know ECU problem!

Do you have power seats? When you turn off car,.. pretend to get out (key out, lock doors etc) but stay inside,... listen to overhead fan, does it go off within a minute? Search my recent post for parasitic electrical draws,... there's a youtube video on how to DIY it.

If your car battery is over 5 years old,... I would suggest replacing it with OEM Mercedes car battery first,.... these cars do weird thing when car battery are on way out,....