C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Staggered: Better or Worst

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staggered: Better or Worst

I understand the basics on staggering but what's recommended? Does the C32 come staggered or not with the AMG double spokes?

TIA - Smoke
Old 03-02-2002, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am pretty sure the C32 is staggered.... but i guess the owners would know better.... according to my knowledge..they are staggered...
Old 03-02-2002, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Pardon my ignoreance but what does staggered means? Anybody cares to explain it to m? TIA
Old 03-02-2002, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
STAGGERED as I have always been told is where the r4ear tires are of different size than the fronts.
The Corvette has 245/45/17 in front and 275/45/18 in rear.

This can be considered staggered where as the width, sidewall ratio, or diameter is different from wheel to wheel.

Staggering usually relates to better handling but the inability to rotate your tires from front to back.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Re: Staggered: Better or Worst

Originally posted by 1stBenz
I understand the basics on staggering but what's recommended? Does the C32 come staggered or not with the AMG double spokes?

TIA - Smoke
First let me clarify for others what we are discussing here. The question being asked is if a staggered wheel/tire combo is better or worse than a standard setup. A standard setup is when the front wheels/tires on a car are the same size as the rears. Converesly, a staggered setup is when the front wheels and tires are a different size than the rears. Specifically, the rear tires (and usually the wheels as well) would be wider. In the case of the C32, it has a staggered setup. The front wheels are 17x7.5 with 225/45-17 tires, while the rear wheels are 17x8.5 with 245/40 tires. Most performance vehicles you will see will normally have a staggered setup for street.

There are several advantages to a staggered configuration. For one, a wider rear tire means a larger contact patch between the tire and the ground which equates to better grip and less oversteer for bettering cornering ability. The wheels that are placed in the rear on a staggered setup will normally be too large to fit in the front. On a rear wheel drive vehicle, more rubber in the rear also equates to quicker launches given the additional grip. It is important to note that you cannot just run any size wheels you wish. That there is a logical equation to figure what size front tire and rear tire to use, although there may be more than one or even two options. This setup can also reduce understeer, or the front tires' tendency to want to go straight when you want them to turn (push).

Disadvantages to this is mainly from a cost prespective. For example, wider tires/wheels usually cost more money. In addition, unlike a normal setup, you cannot cross rotate the tires in a staggered setup. And if the tires are directional, it makes it even more difficult to rotate from side to side.

In general for performance street use, a stagger is better if you don't mind the additional cost. Hope this helps!
Old 03-02-2002, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Smile Great explanation Mr. Vanos, but I would bring your attention to...

your statement:

"This setup can also reduce understeer, or the front tires' tendency to want to go straight when you want them to turn (push)."

I think that going into a staggered wheel/tire set-up (larger wheels & tires at the rear) you would actually be reducing the tendency to oversteer (tail swinging out), consequently inducing understeer (front tires wanting to go straight).

What do you think?
Old 03-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Bos

2002 C230K
Re: Great explanation Mr. Vanos, but I would bring your attention to...

Originally posted by benggolf
your statement:

"This setup can also reduce understeer, or the front tires' tendency to want to go straight when you want them to turn (push)."

I think that going into a staggered wheel/tire set-up (larger wheels & tires at the rear) you would actually be reducing the tendency to oversteer (tail swinging out), consequently inducing understeer (front tires wanting to go straight).

What do you think?
I think you've slightly misread the original post... Mr. Vanos clearly states that larger rear tires will reduce oversteer, while larger front tires will reduce understeer, or push.

Trust me... I'm running Bridgestone S-03 PP 225/40 18's front and 255/35 18's rear on the Coupe and the control and handeling is incredible.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:04 AM

2001 C240 6spd
I put the C32 wheels on my C240, with the staggered package. It may be overkill since the C240 does not produce the HP the coupe, C320, or C32 does. It seems like the staggered wheel package comes on cars that create alot of power so that the rear tires can get a better grip. I notice a big difference in regards to handling...this set-up does make the car handle a little better, since I have not done anything with the suspension yet. The other thing is that it looks good, but the long term cost will be higher because you cannot rotate the tires.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Re: Great explanation Mr. Vanos, but I would bring your attention to...

Originally posted by benggolf
your statement:

What do you think?
I agree. Sorry, I don't think I clarified that one properly. I think I may have written that statement too quickly and missed several sentences somewhere in between I was implying that you can reduce understeer by enlarging the front tires.