C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Did you get an extended warranty?
Yes, it's a must with a C-class
24.64%
No, it's a waste of money
28.99%
Not yet, but still thinking about it.
46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

did you get an extended warranty and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Originally posted by trench
However, by purchasing this warranty I have now absolutely guaranteed that nothing will go wrong with this car for 8 years
This was intended as a joke, since I have the extended warrantly nothing will go wrong thereby making it a waste of money, so I have to console myself with having peace of mind.

Originally posted by SoCal240/6
Really? What happens to the money you spent on the warranty if the car gets totalled? Stolen and not returned?
I've been called a candy-*** driver by my buddies so I probably won't crash the thing myself (haven't even had a speeding ticket since '95 I think), someone hits me and the car is totalled might cause me to lose the money I spent on the warranty - but then again most insurance companies won't cover many of the expensive modifications a number of people do to their cars if it is written off (unless you carry additional insurance).

For some reason I don't expect it will get stolen, the car will spend most of its time either at home or work. And I don't think the car is that easy to steal unless you tow it away, which would be extremely difficult at either location. I have another beater car I drive when I need to go to a dodgy location. (An interesting aside: I've been driving the old one in the rain, when one is more likely to get in an accident, even though the Merc would be a lot safer - both from a driving standpoint with traction control and ABS as well as having that pillowy cushion of airbags to protect the occupants in the even of a crash.) Besides since most cars are stolen for parts I don't think the C230 will have as much appeal to professional car theives as other cars, and I think it's electronic ignition will be sufficient to keep the amateur joy-riders from stealing it.

BT
Old 03-07-2002, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
I bought one because:
1) its a MB and parts are not cheap
2) I had a C36 before and that thing was really expensive to fix. (I had extended warranty so I was lucky) Extended warranty probably paid a little over $10,000 from 50,000-100,000 miles. I paid $50 each time which was my deductable but sometimes I didnt have to pay it (not sure why).
3) I need the loaner car that is covered by the extended warranty when my car is in the shop
4) MB offered me the extended warranty so I dont have to argue with the aftermarket companies who always tried to cut corners to save some money. Their prices were always not the same as the one my dealer posted and they would get the part themselves and then had the dealer install it. I had problems with "their" part, i.e wiring harness which was faulty.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:58 PM

190 2.3 and C320
I keep my cars about ten years. I purchased the M-B extended warranty that extends the 4 year 50,000 mile warrranty to 8 years and 100,000 miles. The C320 is so complex that an extended warranty is worth the peace of mind, not to say the expense of a major repair! (On my 1992 190 .2.3 E, with 70,000 miles I have had major repairs to the air conditioning system and valve seals, all after expiration of the original warranty). I thought about an aftermarket warranty, but all you are buying is a piece of paper and a promise. Are you sure the aftermarket company will be there for you four or five years from now when you need it? Daimler-Chrysler is a better bet!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
i'll have a new car by the time my factory warrenty runs out.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:07 AM

I bought the extended warrantee. With the complex electronics and high price of anything, I consider it likely that I'll come out ahead.

Following the suggestion from a prior post, I got the MB warrantee thru Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors (Chico, CA); her contact number is 1-800-655-3535.

The discount was about 33% off list. I paid $1680 for the 48mo/100k extension.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
yes, i got the extanded warranty just because so i don't have to worry about replacing broken parts in the future.