C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Interior light problems when switching to LED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C320 custom
Question Interior light problems when switching to LED

I've been looking at the Forum for the past couple hours each day and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for so I thought I'd give this a try. If its been repeated I'm sorry in advance for being a noob.

Ok so I got my license plate LED's and then had the sudden urge to change my interior lights and trunk lights to LED's. I ordered them on eBay from a US vendor and got them the next day. I installed my vanity/visor lights no problem, no codes. Great!

Onto the Trunk light. I installed the trunk light, didn't work so I flipped it around and it blinks. Ok so I figured the bulbs I got didn't work for that because it didn't have the right resistor. Threw the original bulb back in and closed the trunk.
(Side note.... When I close my trunk the SOS light flashes and radio doesn't work)I can figure that out later though.

Ok so the interior rear light I change out. Again doesn't work at first so I flip the bulb around. And I have light! It's dull but looked better than the ugly yellow light. I close the door and get out. Light doesn't turn off. So I hit the button for the rear dome light and it got brighter. Weird I thought. I pulled it out thinking that it was the wrong bulb and threw the stock light back in... Now my interior lights don't work when the door opens period. Neither do the door lights on the bottom of the door and I didn't tough those. I can't figure it out.

Here's the link to bulbs I used to for vanity visor lights that look and work great:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Xenon-Whi...-/300785630364

Dome/trunk light:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-WH-1-5...-/290448448318

I know you get what you pay for and they are cheap.... That's why I did it.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 PM

2004 C240 4matic, 2009 C300 4Matic
You should get the one that has "no error" in the name. Its a few more bucks but you wont have this issues
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 PM

02 C320 custom
Well the no errors are my next step, but I'm trying to figure out why they didn't work when I put the normal bulbs back in.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM

2004 C240 4matic, 2009 C300 4Matic
did you cycle the key? meaning did you turn it off and turn it back on. Sometimes thats all you need to reset the cars sensitive electronics
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
check your fuses, sometimes they blow from the switching the bulbs. Get a voltage reader and make sure each light socket is generating the correct voltage. You should look into leds that come with resistors built in and wont generate errors. aznoptics sells them, they're are pricier but well worth the investment.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 AM

02 C320 custom
Originally Posted by Akhafeez
did you cycle the key? meaning did you turn it off and turn it back on. Sometimes thats all you need to reset the cars sensitive electronics
I cycled the key and they reset later in the night. I think I'm gonna use the ones that did work and order the rest from the guy on the forum
Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 AM

02 C320 custom
Originally Posted by phister
check your fuses, sometimes they blow from the switching the bulbs. Get a voltage reader and make sure each light socket is generating the correct voltage. You should look into leds that come with resistors built in and wont generate errors. aznoptics sells them, they're are pricier but well worth the investment.
Yea I'm gonna go with aznoptics. Now my city lights did the same thing on the drivers side, I figured this would happen but thought it would reset just like the interiors. Ill order them soon as this week I'm focused on Vday and getting my car ready for the SoCal cruise