C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Speed-sensitive audio adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2002 | 07:51 PM

1995 Acura
Speed-sensitive audio adjustment

I have the Bose system (C5) in my new coupe. The major audio adjustments that I notice are actually more related to speed. In stop & go traffic the volume level varies wildly--even though the cabin noise level doesn't. I plan to have them turn off the speed-sensitive adjustment. What exactly should I be asking for? Should they adjust the audio pilot (and if so, to what setting) or just leave it alone. Opinions welcome.

By the way, when you all have these little "tweaks" made to your cars, you don't pay for them, do you?
Old 03-04-2002 | 08:34 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Before you ask them to change anything, have them double-check that it is working right. I have the Bose system in my C230 and I can barelly tell any difference with sunroof open or closed. I 'know' its changing volume (or it would not sound 'as loud' when the sunroof is open) but I am unable to really notice it. It seems quite smooth. I did find that it sometimes gets fooled by deep sounds (like when a cross-wind makes the sunroof create deep bass. In those cases, it doesn't increase the volume enough, so the stereo gets drowned out a little. Nothing a couple presses of "+" on the steering wheel can't fix, though.
Old 03-05-2002 | 01:35 PM

1995 Acura
Thanks Flashman. Again, I don't think the problem is with the AudioPilot in the Bose. There is supposed to be an entirely separate (and in my mind unnecessary) "speed-sensitive" volume control system that adjusts the volume not in response to cabin noise--but in response to speed. Yesterday I was sitting in traffic, going anywhere from 0-25 mph. I had the roof closed and there was no real inside noise to speak of. As I would start to roll the radio would get louder. When I came to a stop, it would turn down. Really irritating.

Can anyone enlighten me? Again, these little adjustments are free, no? TIA.
Old 03-05-2002 | 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
the answer is closer than you think

from flashman's unofficial faq:

<b>Can the audio system’s speed-sensitive volume settings be changed?

“well, took the car in to turn off the audio pilot and the service manager had no idea what i was talking about but we figured it out and the tech hooked up the computer - took literally seconds for him to change it. it can be set to 9, 6, 3 or 0 dBs change. it was set to 6dBs, i changed it to 3dBs and it is now much better. i have to strain to discern a difference so its working.”</b>

i should add that although i specifically said audiopilot, the technician did not know about it. it was only later that i realized that we had really adjusted the speed sensitive volume adjustment.

also, although at first, the 3dBs seemed ok, i have now become more sensitive to it and i plan to change it to 0 later.

it was free for me to get it adjusted. YMMV

Last edited by young; 03-05-2002 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2002 | 01:52 PM

1995 Acura
Thanks Young. I think I'll have it set to 0dB. It's the same reason I didn't want an automatic transmission. I'll shift and adjust the radio when I damn well want to!
Old 03-05-2002 | 03:32 PM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
What is the default set at? 9dBs?
Old 03-05-2002 | 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The settings are 0 (off), -3, -6, and -9. The default is -6.

Trending Topics

Old 03-05-2002 | 08:12 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
SF-video guy

It appears that your audio pilot is synced with the speed sensitive wipers. Joking aside, I also haven't noticed this stop and go changes in the audio pilot. Like other posts the only changes, although very subtle, are when the windows or roof is open. I haven't really noticed the abrupt changes youv'e described.
Old 03-18-2002 | 07:26 PM

1995 Acura
Totally baffled.....

I now have the speed-sensitive thing supposedly off. When I'm driving along with all of the windows and the roof closed, I still hear dramatic changes in the volume level when I come to a stop. Any thoughts?
Old 03-18-2002 | 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
well, i have 2 sort of difficult choices that i can think of:

1. contact mb until they tell you how to disable audiopilot! contact mb germany, whomever until you get an answer.

2. remove the microphone for audiopilot...