C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Holy Smokes!! Ad Fee has been increased to $600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Smokes!! Ad Fee has been increased to $600

Hey gang,

I was pricing out with Laguna Niguel today and was projecting $500 over invoice, but the ad fee has increased from $400 to $600. With silver, C5,C7, Auto and changer (which may go through autoclass.net) it will be $30,800.

That ad fee is a killer, but the wait time maybe around 2.5 months. Alot to think about.

Is it worth going to So Cal with that ad fee or will all dealers in CA slap that same across the board fee on all their cars. Yikes!
Old 03-05-2002, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree on the $600 ad fee because that's fair. It costs them money to advertise their cars. Now to be fair to you, charge them a $800 search fee. After all it takes a lot of effort to search for the right car at the right dealership and you don't have their economy of scale, your just one guy. Just write it into the contract they give you and make the necessary adjustments. Then tell them Fletcher Jones III at Fletcher Jones MB said he'll do the deal without the ad fee if you promise not to charge them a search fee. They'll come around. Ask for a new salesperson, I recommend Mark Hoye, internet sales. If they give you a tap dance ask for Jeff Spellens, he's one of the owners.

They never charged me a ad fee nor did they try to sneak it in. It must be the seedy salesperson you are dealing with.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Heat,

You live in SF, why go to Southern Cal for a car? I paid less than $500 over invoice at SF Benz -- by the time you go to LA pick up and car and drive back it's $150 in gas and a plane ticket.

SF Benz has an ad fee, there was a thread a while back that talked about who in the Bay Area has them and who does not. I think you started the thread.

Beth
Old 03-05-2002, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the advise. Actually Tuvan over at the dealership gave me that fee number, which was a surprise considering she came recommended from hearing from you guys.

She also said that the 2.3 engine is going to stay on the 2003's coming out and the only change in engine is on the wagon.

Now I don't know whom to believe.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm surprised Tuvan gave you that BS. I bought my car from her and there was no ad fee. Besides if you ordered a car then what would the ad fee be based on? They could not have taken an ad out on a car that doesn't exist. Also there's zero flooring on an ordered car so it should be cheaper. Ask for Jeff Spellens and tell him you are concerned that his dealership is getting a reputation for being shady and that Fletcher Jones doesn't engage in deceptive add on fees. Tell him that Tuvan was reffered by a happy customer and you don't understand why you are being mistreated. If Jeffs not around ask for his wife, Penny. They are very customer satisfaction oriented and I would be surprised if they didn't act on it.

A friend of mine got a C320 for $500 over invoice at Fletcher Jones with no advertising fee. Frankly I buy an average of a car a year with 3 drivers in the family and I never heard of an ad fee.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I know that a lot of dealers are charging an "ad fee", but I really don't understand this. The benefit of advertising is to increase sales, which should raise profits (assuming here that all sales are profitable). The goal should be so that the ad pays for itself with additional sales. Why should the consumer be forced to pay for the ad??
Old 03-05-2002, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is sillyness. It's like McDonalds selling you a burger for .99 and then tacking on ten cents for advertising fee, 5 cents for environmental fee, 3 cents disposal fee, 2 cents for miscellaneous fee and tax. One assumes that when a product is advertised at a price or a price quote is given it is the price except for goverment fees like sales tax, registration fees and so on. The only purchases I made that they tried to tack on fees is motorcycles. I bought a small dirt bike for my kid a few years ago. It weighed about 100#. They wanted to charge me $400 freight. Yamaha is about 20 miles from the dealer and the port of entry is about 15 miles away. I told him that they can overnight FedEx at the highest consumer rates and it wouldn't cost $400. Then they tried to add $200 in setup charges. I worked for Honda and I know they are given an allowance for setup so I said stop the BS. They did and I got the bike for the agreed upon price. It's all scams to bring in a higher average revenue per unit (arpu). Don't fall for it.

Trending Topics

Old 03-05-2002, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
I bought from Penske (So Cal)through CarsDirect and had no AD fee or other crap added on.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
I'll make this whole process very simple. Give them a price you are willing to pay for the car and stick to it. If they say "no", thank them and while walking out, ask them to call if they change their mind. In less than 24hrs. you will get a call!

Don't pay anything other than the car price, DMV, & taxes.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:28 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
the add fees are bull*****... especially on a car that is ordered/traded for. pay then 500-1000 over invoice and they are still making a pretty penny... that way they have a happy customer and one that comes back. In addition, be an ******* when you go in... make them work for your business and tell them that they need to do so.

I am sickened when a dealership with DOZENS of cars on the lot is trying to charge what ammounts to an availability premium. it is a total load of **** and I'd refuse to do business with them.

[end sermon]