C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Time to change my mind!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 AMG Sports coupe
Question Time to change my mind!!!

Bearing in mind I may not decide to do this upgrade for some time....people tell me the truth...if I specify Bose can I use the cables that feed the Bose power amp(from the becker head unit/pre amp)to connect to my choice of power amps/s...and from there on to my choice of loudspeakers....or is the Bose equalisation stage situated in the head unit?
If you wonder why I choose not to just specify the standard system,rather than by pass the power amp,it is because the cabling is already routed to the boot(or does the standard sytem have its power amp/s there too?Also is the centre chanel loudspeaker easy to access(also for upgrading)?
One last thing I want to keep the mercedes/becker head unit/6 disc changer so i can still use the steering wheel control and dash display
Apologies if this subject has been dealt with already,but I have not found it....I welcome all of your thoughts and experience
Old 03-05-2002, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Did you try the Audio & Electronics section of this forum? It's my understanding that you can't get too experimental with the audio due to the limitation of the standard fiber optics transport used by MB.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:01 AM

C230 AMG Sports coupe
Yes I have looked through the audio section.....but surely the DAC which is before the power amp stage is where the optical cabling ends.....or is the Bose power amp a digital design?
I really need all the help you guys can give on this one....I will search the audio forum a bit more thoroughly now though....
Old 03-06-2002, 05:14 AM

The easist way to add an amp is to either get an amp with high level (speaker) inputs, eg RF Punch amps, or use a signal processor that takes the speaker inputs and outputs via standard RCA connections. Audio Control has a couple of processors that can do it (Alpine has one). My last choice would be to use a straight speaker->RCA convertor.

This is all in aid of keeping the OEM deck with steering wheel controls.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:21 PM

C230 AMG Sports coupe
Phill B...I am well aware that your suggestion is not the best possibility(with respect to quality)...but as you mention i do ask that I retain my steering wheel controls....with that in mind I thank you for pointing me in the right direction for companies manufacturing the necessary equipment....on the quality front this is ONLY my car after all.....LOL