C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A/C only Blows Hot!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport, 2004 Mustang Gt
A/C only Blows Hot!

I have a 06 Mercedes c230. Come to find out on a hot summer day that when i tried to turn on the a/c it only blows hot air. Went to a mechanic and he filled the freon still blows hot air. Changed the a/c fuses and still hot air. I was wondering if it was somthing simple i could do like reset it or somthing with out spending to much money? Its hard driving a car in the summer with no a/c so if you think you have a answer to this problem please post! Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
sounds like your mechanic didn't check the pressure right when refilling the freon. He should've checked to see if it held and checked to see if it was cold before giving it back. My friends shop checks hot and cold side and charges it then lets the car run for awhile a full max ac for good 30mins or longer to see if it blows cold then will take it out for a drive to make sure it still works.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport, 2004 Mustang Gt
Originally Posted by phister
sounds like your mechanic didn't check the pressure right when refilling the freon. He should've checked to see if it held and checked to see if it was cold before giving it back. My friends shop checks hot and cold side and charges it then lets the car run for awhile a full max ac for good 30mins or longer to see if it blows cold then will take it out for a drive to make sure it still works.
Yea he put it on a machine and after it was done we put it on max and still blown cold he recomended me to go to mercedes because he wasent familiar about mercedes. I already know there gonna try to throw a fat bill at me once i go.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Did you observe the compressor working - was the pressure changing on the high side/low side when AC was on max vs AC off?

Could be a freon pressure switch that's stuck and does not let the compressor turn on (because it thinks there is no freon in the system).
Could be your compressor or pulley is done with - did you hear any squeaks/rattles from the engine lately with AC on while reversing etc?
Could be something else. Stealer or a good indy should be able to find the reason (does STAR show AC related parameters?)
I am pretty sure the dealer will tell you you need to replace the AC compressor (and maybe the alternator).
Old 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM

2005 C230 Coupe 6sp, Black/Black/BiX
I ran into the same thing on my '05 coupe. Very rarely, I would get AC, most of the time it would blow heated air. What I found, was that it was a bad Evaperator Core Temp Sensor (inside the cabin, accessable from the drivers side footwell). Mine was reading -23C, causing the HVAC controler to attempt to thaw out the "frozen" core. It was akward to replace, but not hard. And it was all of $60. Hope that helps!