C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A/C Compressor Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320
A/C Compressor Fix

Well it's been a while since I have posted. The last time some of you may heard from me is my posting about my A/C Compressor breaking. Well, I am about to get that fixed this Friday, $800 for the total job (without tax). I hope my AC is back!

There are 2 slight other things worrying me, and I already talked to a mechanic. I told him how sometimes in the mornings, when I would put my car into Reverse, or Reverse to Drive, there would be a little jerk. Also, there sometimes is a delay before it actually initiates the transmission switch, but nothing really noticeable. There is also the occasional hard shift from 1st to 2nd, especially when going up a hill, but I suppose this is normal as I feel it in other cars. Also, sometimes there are vibrations at a stop light and when driving high RPM in between gear change. The mechanic said these were probably minor issues, such as needing more transmission fluid and a motor mount being replaced, and that the major issue I have is the AC Compressor.

So I took it to the Dealership and they of course wanted me to pay $100 for a full inspection. I told them how I am about to get my AC Compressor fixed and didn't want any hidden major problems... but no compassion for me and they stuck with their $100. I also asked them to check transmission fluid for me, but she just looked at the last time I had it serviced, which was 20,000 miles ago (due for every 40,000 miles).

So I know it is impossible for you guys to tell me over the net, but I was wondering if these things I described were of any major issue. There is a transmission shop up the road that does free inspections, and I believe I'll take it there tomorrow.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just dropped it off at the Transmission place and told him the deal. He asked what I was afraid about, and I told him about the slight jerk and hesitation in gear when going up a hill, and he said both are normal. I kind of laughed it off, and he said he'll still take a look for me. I'm real happy to hear that, though! I should have the car back either by closing time today or tomorrow morning!

Last edited by DaODB; 08-06-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320
The transmission man said that my transmission is great!! He said the vibrations seem to be coming from a "harmonic balancer" and referred me to a mechanic. I drove over and he said he'd look at it if I kept the car with him and only for $45. Not bad.

Doing some research it looks like the harmonic balancers are on recall. Furthermore, I asked the mechanic if this was a huge issue, and he said not really, but not to ignore it forever. So I'm going to go ahead and get my A/C fixed and then think about what to do with the balancer. Seems my car is better than I expected!!

Thanks!!