C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C320 vs RSX type S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Guest0001

C320 vs RSX type S

C320 sedan auto vs Acura RSX type S manual

stock for stock

who woud win from a stoplight and who would win on the freeway

thanks
Old 09-06-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C230K Coupe
The 2.3L coupe and the RSX-S post similar numbers on the quarter-mile, so I think it'd come down more to how well the driver launches the car and shifts gears. One of my friends owns an RSX-S, and that iVTEC is definitely something to be dealt with.

As for 320 sedan, the extra weight may be enough to cut back on the quarter-mile time despite the HP/torque difference, not to mention the fact that the manual RSX-S can initiate a launch start, while the automatic C320 is left to wait with the left foot on the brake.

In the mid-to-high speed category, the C320 definitely has the torque advantage, but like I mentioned earlier, the iVTEC is a powerhouse when used correctly. It could be a close match.

Last edited by preyx; 09-06-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Almost a Member!

When I bought my C320 I had to sell my Mazda Protege 5. A friend looked at it, drove it, and liked it. But, his mind was set on a RSX-S. He went to drive on and just made in down the street and took it back. He drove back to work and called me to buy my P5. He said the P5 "felt" like it had more low end power. The Honda motors are powerful but you must rev the stew out of them to move the car. Another friend sold his S2000 for the same reason. Yet another friend with a WRX is looking to sell it - no low end power. A lot can be said for the great low end torque of the C320. Really makes the car enjoyable to drive - maybe not a stop light killer, but "NICE". And on the highway, the Honda buzz, buzz will drive you nuts, nuts....
Old 09-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by 66 Roadster
He drove back to work and called me to buy my P5. He said the P5 "felt" like it had more low end power. The Honda motors are powerful but you must rev the stew out of them to move the car. Another friend sold his S2000 for the same reason. Yet another friend with a WRX is looking to sell it - no low end power. A lot can be said for the great low end torque of the C320. Really makes the car enjoyable to drive - maybe not a stop light killer, but "NICE". And on the highway, the Honda buzz, buzz will drive you nuts, nuts....
That's like saying, "I hate this blue car because it's blue." Your friends sound like they should not be trusted with electricity.

Noblert, you'd be better racing them from 45 - 80 ; the torque will help out, but yes, you'll lose from a stop.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by tommy
That's like saying, "I hate this blue car because it's blue." Your friends sound like they should not be trusted with electricity.

Noblert, you'd be better racing them from 45 - 80 ; the torque will help out, but yes, you'll lose from a stop.
I disagree. The autoshift 320 consitently is at around 7 seconds...the RSXS manual runs 6.7 to 7.3, I think it would be pretty close off the line, with the 0-30 probably going to the C and its bigger torque grunt.

Underway, I'd expect the RSX to kill you. He's free to rev it like mad while moving, from a stop the RSX has two options, bog or smokey burnouts. And youve got the automatic. Ive raced the RSX-S in my coupe, till 50 we're faster. But then that damn 2 to 3 shift comes along, and voila, he's got you.

Ive owned several Hondas over the years, and still have one in the form of a CBR F3 motorcycle, the motors all lack torque. The HP is there, you just have to LOVE the revs thou. I can usually take the CBR for about a half hour- and a few 13,000RPM shifts usually are enough to get that need for speed bug out of my system, but after that, I'm ready to sell it.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:44 AM

i've personally raced an rsx-s many times because a friend of mine owns one. he's got an intake, and borla exhaust.. and i can tell u... it's pretty hard to beat off the line. if ur running high speeds, the c def. has the edge.
0-80.. losing... 80-100... about even... 100-120.... ahead.

fast car tho...
Old 09-09-2003, 03:42 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
funny i found this post b/c i recently raced my friend's RSX-s (6spd of course). She just broke 1000 miles the other nite so we decided to do a few runs to see what its like. The weather was nice and cool so we did 3 runs (2 from standing and 1 rolling 30mph). We were pretty much even to 105+ mph. when i say pretty much is whoever had a bad "launch" (I have auto so its hard to not be consistent). When i leave off the line first i win meaning we have the same gap all the way, when she get ahead then she lead all the way to end. Now she's a pretty decent driver so this is fairly precise (IMO) info. I do have Kleeman pulley kit and in ITG filter (M111 2.3L engine 2002 coupe).

*With auto i simply turn off esp via switch on board, I do wonder if it will be more beneficial if I were to do the semi-permanent ESP/ABS switch-off from the start-up key sequence? Any experts? Oh and I can never seem to able to do a power-brake "launch". Any info on this will be great.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*With auto i simply turn off esp via switch on board, I do wonder if it will be more beneficial if I were to do the semi-permanent ESP/ABS switch-off from the start-up key sequence?

No. Dyno mode will shut off that portion of the traction control which uses the brakes to emulate a limited slip differential. You would have a completely open diff. All the torque would go the the right rear wheel. None would go to the left.

Oh and I can never seem to able to do a power-brake "launch". Any info on this will be great.

Don't bother with power brake launching. In every Mercedes road test I have read, the author states that best results were obtained by sitting at the line with the engine at idle then flooing the throttle.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:26 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Originally posted by Lynn
*With auto i simply turn off esp via switch on board, I do wonder if it will be more beneficial if I were to do the semi-permanent ESP/ABS switch-off from the start-up key sequence?

No. Dyno mode will shut off that portion of the traction control which uses the brakes to emulate a limited slip differential. You would have a completely open diff. All the torque would go the the right rear wheel. None would go to the left.

Oh and I can never seem to able to do a power-brake "launch". Any info on this will be great.

Don't bother with power brake launching. In every Mercedes road test I have read, the author states that best results were obtained by sitting at the line with the engine at idle then flooing the throttle.
thanks Lynn, i thought so and i think i pretty much hit/maxed my perf. level there w/o additional mods. I do have something trouble doing rolling start (say staying in 2nd) then suddenly flooring it and do the sudo-manual shifting. Something it happen so fast it feels like esp kick in (no warning light) and car bogs down. any tips on better straight-line racing/perf driving with auto tranny would be appreciated. Otherwise, its kleeman chip/ecu program time