C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Burning or leaking oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 w210 320
Burning or leaking oil

so ive had the car for about 6 months now.. 3 months in i got the message add 2 quarts. so i did and then a month later changed the oil. now i just got it again so its been about 3 months since ive changed it and probably a little over 3k miles and i got the message again and i can smell oil once in a while threw my vents. usually when i come to a stop. then today coming home from work at a stop light it looked like there was a smoke coming from the vent in the hood,nothing major, but smoke none the less. the car still runs great and cool though so i decided to look into it when i got home. took the top off and also got underneath. from what i could see underneath it looked like some oil on the splash guard but didnt take it off it was too crammed under there. as far as up top the only oil i can see really is where the fill cap is. is there anywhere i should check in particular for leaks in the m112. ive read some stuff about the breather and some hoses. theres a pic of a hose what looks like someone put some seal on it and did a messy job

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-17-2013, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Mine leaked/weeped at the rear main seal. There's a rectangular plastic cover at the bottom of the trans bell housing that it leaked through onto a plastic shroud/cover beneath the transmission. After 175K miles it never leaked enough between changes (13Kmiles) to cause the add light to come on though. If smoke came out of the hood vent I'm guessing oil is leaking onto the exhaust headers/system someplace. A common leak point is the breather covers on the valve covers.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 PM

02 w210 320
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Mine leaked/weeped at the rear main seal. There's a rectangular plastic cover at the bottom of the trans bell housing that it leaked through onto a plastic shroud/cover beneath the transmission. After 175K miles it never leaked enough between changes (13Kmiles) to cause the add light to come on though. If smoke came out of the hood vent I'm guessing oil is leaking onto the exhaust headers/system someplace. A common leak point is the breather covers on the valve covers.
That's what I'm thinking because as you can see in the picture it looks like someone tried to doctor it up so who knows what the others look like. I'll check them out when I get more time but that's what I figured if it was coming thorough the vent up top it has to be burning on the headers and that's why I smell it in my cabin too because even when I use the carbon filter I smell it Because they put the intake for that right above the battery
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by cameron1292
.... and that's why I smell it in my cabin too because even when I use the carbon filter I smell it Because they put the intake for that right above the battery
The C320 has a GREAT cabin filter. Double carbon filter about 4" thick. If you haven't yet....replace it. You need to activate it from the HVAC unit. I just left mine on always and never noticed any fumes.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM

02 w210 320
Originally Posted by mleskovar
The C320 has a GREAT cabin filter. Double carbon filter about 4" thick. If you haven't yet....replace it. You need to activate it from the HVAC unit. I just left mine on always and never noticed any fumes.
Yea I leave mine on alot it is great but I'm wondering if I need to replace it because I do smell the oil fumes once in a while but then to test it I turn the filter off and it's harsher so it defiantly works lol