C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Might be interested in lowering c240...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
Might be interested in lowering c240...

Hi all, I've been recently thinking about lowering my 2002 c240. I've been searching the forums but would rather have direct answers...

I know coilovers are better than springs, but at nearly 5x the cost...right? I was looking to get maybe H&R Springs, which "should" lower it 1.5 inches if I read right. In terms of ride comfort, whats the difference between the stock springs and the H&Rs?

My main problem with how the car looks is just the giant gap in the front. Is it socially acceptable to just put them on the front?

Car has 17 inch rims with 225/45 all around.
I know that each shop is different, but what is the ballpark-range of cost when it comes to installing the H&R's?

Thanks in advance.

edit- also, not that it really matters, but will there be any MPG difference? ~80% of my driving is in the city(though at the "ideal" 57 MPH)

Last edited by ildd; 09-08-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
if you are changing springs to a performance version you have to do all 4, not safe to do the fronts only. If your car is a 4matic - good luck very little out there for an easy fit.
H&R drop lower than Eibach but you get a much harsher ride, You don't want to go too low if you have OEM struts because you could potentially bottom out and if your struts are well used you could end up with leaking struts down the road as the travel inside will be at a different point than previously. The Eibach pro-lit that I put on in June seems to be a great all round compromise, it lowers it about 1.4" rides nicely around town can be a bit harsh over streetcar tracks and potholes but as you load up the springs in a sweeping corner you get great handling. Also the Eibachs are a direct replacement on stock struts. Cost me $350 to swap out all 4 corners and the springs cost $250.
I had to replace as 3 of the 4 springs were broken, common in areas where they pour on salt on the roads.

Best bang for the buck in handling is to get thicker sway bars and again you have to do them in pairs or you will get strange handling characteristics
Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by Boom vang
if you are changing springs to a performance version you have to do all 4, not safe to do the fronts only. If your car is a 4matic - good luck very little out there for an easy fit.
H&R drop lower than Eibach but you get a much harsher ride, You don't want to go too low if you have OEM struts because you could potentially bottom out and if your struts are well used you could end up with leaking struts down the road as the travel inside will be at a different point than previously. The Eibach pro-lit that I put on in June seems to be a great all round compromise, it lowers it about 1.4" rides nicely around town can be a bit harsh over streetcar tracks and potholes but as you load up the springs in a sweeping corner you get great handling. Also the Eibachs are a direct replacement on stock struts. Cost me $350 to swap out all 4 corners and the springs cost $250.
I had to replace as 3 of the 4 springs were broken, common in areas where they pour on salt on the roads.

Best bang for the buck in handling is to get thicker sway bars and again you have to do them in pairs or you will get strange handling characteristics
OK. Thank you for the detailed response... I'd prefer comfort over a .1 inch drop, so it looks like if I do do this, it will be Eibach's.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C320, W208 CLK 320, w209 CLK 500
If you want comfort in addition to a drop, I'd suggest tein s-techs. I don't know about the others from first hand experience, but after reading up on the forums I went with the s-techs because the consensus seemed to be that they had the smoothest ride of the lowering options.

I had them put in last week and from my experience so far they are a bit stiffer than the stock suspension was on my c320, but still definitely comfortable. Handling is decent, but most importantly to me, they got that god awful wheel gap in the front wheels to go away for the most part. Another plus is that they can be had for as low as $150 for a new set of 4 on ebay.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by Drummajorc
If you want comfort in addition to a drop, I'd suggest tein s-techs. I don't know about the others from first hand experience, but after reading up on the forums I went with the s-techs because the consensus seemed to be that they had the smoothest ride of the lowering options.

I had them put in last week and from my experience so far they are a bit stiffer than the stock suspension was on my c320, but still definitely comfortable. Handling is decent, but most importantly to me, they got that god awful wheel gap in the front wheels to go away for the most part. Another plus is that they can be had for as low as $150 for a new set of 4 on ebay.
Interesting. I'll just have to put in some detailed research of my own I guess. Thanks for the response.