C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ECU/ESP doesn't connect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C240 2003
Angry ECU/ESP doesn't connect

Hi,

I have a problem right now with my C240 manual 2003. The car doesn't start at all right now and the cooling fan (radiator fan) starts full speed as soon as I put the key on starting mode.

Than I brang it to the garage and we tried to connect to the computer through a Snap-On computer. The computer couldn't connect anymore to the ESP/ECU....

No Diagnosis possible...

ANY IDEAS???? I already changed the ECU since then just to make sure but we still have the same problem... not good for business!!!

Thank you alll

LBJ
Old 09-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Mercedes C240 2003
Sorry if I made any mistakes with the english language... i'm a French Canadian...
Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
If you are having the fan issue sounds like your front sam went out. Do a search on here for fan high speed and front sam issues and you can compare. But that is what it sounds like to me.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Front radiator fan spins in high mode like turbine engine when it does not get signal from ECU,.... that's the default as front radiator fan assumes worst, that engine is overheating so it just spins in high mode,... that's normal. Question is why ECU is not sending signal,.... yes, could also be frontSAM messed up too,....

Disclaimer,... OP sent me message that old ECU was rusted inside,.... ECU is sealed,... so where is water coming from? Could OP post pic of inside of old ECU? If old ECU is rusted inside,... connectors from main harness to ECU could be corroded too,... should use something like CRC Electronic Cleaner to clean main harness connectors to ECU.

Was old ECU ever modified? It should be perfectly sealed,... trust me, I know because I had to tear appart my old ECU and it took me about an hour with an garage grade dremal tool,...

Search my old post about ECU and coolant radiator fan spinning in high mode,.... I started 2 thread detailing my personal experience and what I learned about dealing with this issue.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Does your car start at all?

Try reading code with another OBD2 scan tool,....

Where did you get new ECU? Is it brand new from Mercedes-Benz dealer? ECU are VIN-coded (actually Serial number coded),.... so used ECU from another car will NOT work unless you transplant the rom chip holding the VIN-code.

Also new ECU needs to be SCN coded to your car,... SCN coding is done after ECU is installed,...SCN coding allows ECU to talk to other computer in your car like EIS (Ignition System), TCU (transmission), etc,.... was this SCN coding done? If so, by whom?

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 09-11-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Follow up question does the snap on computer talk to the other components in the car such as radio and instrument cluster? I misread initially and though you said it didn't talk to anything at all but upon review it looks like it just won't talk to the ECU and ESP.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Mercedes C240 2003
The ECU I got it from : Mercedesecm.com

It seems like they did a good job with it... Good Service.

Now, the issue seems to be strongly related to the Front Sam Module.

I know that we need to program it if I want to buy a new one. How does it work? What do I have to do? Can I buy a used one and just replace it? Is there anybody who can program it for me and get it PLUG N PLAY?

Thanks,