C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Replacing Steering column boot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Replacing Steering column boot

My boot ripped apart for some strange reason and it is amazing how this rubber boot through the firewall actually isolates the noise in the engine compartment. At first I thought that my supercharger blew because the noise (like a vacuum cleaner) was really loud inside (sounds like it coming from behind the instrument cluster) but was able to determine that the boot was torn apart.

While the WIS and dealers will tell you that the only fix is to pull the steering column for about 4.5hrs or labour, I am here to tell you that at least with the M271 engine that the repair is actually about an hour and the column does not have to be pulled but rather the coupling to the rack can be unbolted and telescope the steering wheel all the way up. Make sure you mark the orientation of the coupling to the splined shaft or your steering wheel will not be straight.

Then the boot can be slipped over it from under the car worked into the firewall. You will have to take off the accelerator pedal and under dash cover to secure in inside and and work the grommet like boot to seat into the firewall hole. Be prepared to go from under the car to under the dash about 3 dozen times in the procedure. It is a PIA and fiddly but technically not a difficult job.

When reconnecting it, you will need a helper inside to slightly turn and push in the steering wheel to get into the splines.

Now my car is silent again but miss that supercharger whirl that I got used to over the past half year when I accelerate

The boot is only about $15

Last edited by Boom vang; 09-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.