C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

05 C240 while driving, hearing a thud, thud, thud sound, goes away when stopped.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 Mercedes benz ML350 4Matic
05 C240 while driving, hearing a thud, thud, thud sound, goes away when stopped.....

Hey everybody... I wrote about this earlier but I have new information. I began hearing a thud thud thud sound as the vehicle is driving, the thud sound picks up as the speed of the vehicle increases speed, common sense, just wanted to be clear. I noticed the inner drive axle boot was torn, grease sprayed everywhere. I went ahead and removed the axle, replaced it with a new one successfully. The noise however is still there. Sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side area. Difficult to pinpoint what is wrong. I rotated the rear tires to the front, front to the rear. Still have the noise. Checked the tires for damage, nails, tire pressure, all ok. Checked all 4 alloy wheels for cracks, no cracks. Side note... we had one rim welded/repaired as there was a crack in the rim sometime ago. The noise DID NOT start after the rim repaired.
Had a foreign garage repair shop test drive the car. He, for free, said it's not the bearing in the hub as the noise is not a grinding, sandy, bearing noise. I'm tempted to replace the tires as it's about time however I am convinced it's something else. What do you guys think? Hoping someone experienced the same thing. Thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC300 4Matic
check the end links, check the sway bar bushings, check the springs.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 Mercedes benz ML350 4Matic
the rear springs rotted at the bottom so I had to replace those a few months back. common problem with those. However in the front there are no springs, just struts. seem to be fine but I dont know how to know if my strut is bad. Not sure what you mean by end links....? the tie rod ends are ok, ball joints are ok, as far as I know.