C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 Well-Oiled TCU Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 C320
W203 Well-Oiled TCU Symptoms?

Hey guys. Relatively new here as I just bought my first MB a year or so ago. It's an '01 C320.

It's now my wife's car and she called me a couple of days ago to tell me "it wouldn't go." (Translation: I think the transmission is slipping.)

Anyways, after driving it a bit, I don't think it's actually slipping. I was able to replicate the issue once: just after starting it, shifted into D, started moving forward... high rev, no movement, feels like it's still in N. Tiptronic (if that's what it's really called) wasn't functioning.

Stopped the car, put it in park, shut it down, restarted it and everything is A-OK for the rest of the day. Drove it this morning with no problems. Pulls like a workhorse without any indication of slippage.

My question is: What are the typical symptoms of an oil contaminated TCU? I haven't pulled mine out yet, but will plan to do so this weekend if it sounds like the culprit.

If this has already been asked on the forum, my apologies. I tried searching, but am relatively new at this.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
There is a harness that connects the transmission via a big plug known as the ($15)pilot bushing and the harness travels from the tranny to the TCU. The rubber gasket on this pilot bushing gets weak or malfunctions and causes the oil to seep and travel upstream via the harness inot the TCU. If prolonged it will fry the TCU, but if caught in time you can unhook the TCU open it up and clena it and may be able to review it. Or some times if the oild has not travelled all the way it might be shorting the pilot bishing itself and you can get away with juts replacing the pilot bushing. Search on the keywor "Pilot Bushing" and all the sympoms and threads related to this issue will pop up....when this happnes the tranny goes inot a limp mode and get stuck in the second gear...your could also be one of the symptoms....

goodluck...

javvy
Old 03-09-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 C320
Closing the loop here: replaced the TCU connector as Javvy described. Problem fixed! For $15, I even bought a spare to keep in the car for future issues. Thanks!