C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 C240 - Climate Control Behavior - Hot Air Trickling Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
2002 C240 - Climate Control Behavior - Hot Air Trickling Out

Hi,

I have a 2002 C240. It was broken into last Christmas (2012) and they ripped out the aftermarket stereo and ripped off the glove box (it was locked and they were trying to get into it.)

Evidently they did damage inside the dash while stealing the stereo system.

The glove box repairs took me 5 different trips before Progressive finally sent it to a local Mercedes dealer who actually fixed it finally. Which brings me to:

Last week I realized that I can't confine hot air to just come out near my feet. It's still coming out of the dash vents. Now the dash controls *seem* to work for the most part, but I can't seem to eliminate hot air from coming out of the dash vents when I have it on feet level.

When I set the air direction knob (whatever it's called) to feet, I still get hot air coming out of the dash vents. Is this normal?

I took the car back to Progressive last week, they took it in, sent it to the local Mercedes dealer who replaced an actuator, etc. I pick up the car today and the same issue was happening, hot air coming from the dash vents even though I had the air selector set to down (feet). Progressive's service manager was evidently doubting my assumptions and suggested I take it to a dealer myself to inquire because he was told it was operating as usual.

20 minutes later I took it to the Mercedes dealer that Progressive had just used, had two different people from Service get into the car and they both told me that it's normal for a little bit of hot air to come out of the vents, but that the far left driver-side dash vent was indeed blowing a lot of hot air and that wasn't normal.

I returned to Progressive, told the manager what I was told by the Mercedes dealer. He was skeptical, he asked me if the dealer has told me what parts were required to repair this (No, and even if they did, I'm not a mechanic and wouldn't have understood a lot of it?) and told me he'd contact them and give me a call on Monday.

It's now been 11 months since I filed my initial claim and I'm still suspecting that repairs weren't fully performed.

MBWorld Forums is probably my last resort to getting some straight-talk on this issue.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any help I can get.

Best,

Michael
Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Sorry you were burglarized and the dealer was unable to make it right. I am not sure why you need to go through Progressive, they should just pay the bill. It is not unusual for dealers to want to walk away from HVAC blend door problems because there is so much that has to be taken apart to get to the root of the problems.

The age of your car may be showing in that soft seals may be deteriorating and the cause of hot air coming out the wrong vents.

I would certainly enlist the help of the factory to get your car fixed.

It would also help if you were familiar with the HVAC system. Make yourself familiar with the attached materials and you will have a better chance with the service writer that wants to treat you like a girlfriend, pat you on the head and tell you "that's normal."

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/203c-coup...tecontrol.html