C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

The complicated W203 Radiator Fan question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
Unhappy

This thread is old enough and am sorry for bringing it back. but may be someone can help with my problem. So, I have a 2001 C320 W203 that I bought at the US Copart auction. the car had an accident where I had to replace the hood & the AC condenser right in the front. Repainted the bumper, fog lights not fixed yet, neither the outside temp. sensor.

Recharged the AC system with refrigerant, turn on the AC and the compressor seems to be working but the radiator fan does not engage and the compressor would shut off eventually. The car drives fine, no overheating and the fan would engage properly when engine/coolant temp. reaches 95'/97' C. In fact, while idling, I would wait for the fan to work with the engine/coolant and I would turn on the AC and get ice cold air. Took my fan off, tried it in brother's C320 and it worked when AC on and with the engine/coolant. Replaced the Refrigerant Pressure Sensor (B12) down the condenser on my car with no success. I even tried another fan in my car and it behaved the same. My hood being replaced, I checked the sun sensor that looked dusty, the plug looked fine but I can't tell whether the sensor good or not, the whole plastic hood vent with the sensor in it was removed from the damaged hood and mounted to new one. So I'm thinking maybe I should replace the sensor. I'm somehow forced to throw parts as I don't have a Star tool.

I used an Autel scanner tool and the only thing wrong that it showed was "Refrigerant Pressure Sensor (B12); Pressure too low, 8 bar, [...30 bar]". My technician is thinking may be it's a compressor valve problem so that the compressor is not generating enough pressure that would signal the fan to kick in. Yet, the condenser gets really hot and I think that sensor monitors heat as well. The car has also footwell flaps stuck. Almost all air goes to defroster vents & footwell; so little makes it to the dash front vents.

The car has also a battery drain issue; it will drain out in 2 days. Front seats modules disconnected; still drains. I disconnected the TELEAID module as I'm getting a message in the display. I'm driving the car every day so I can't tell. But the car still won't sleep I'm sure. CD Charger (not working properly sometimes), audio gateway problems... I don't know. I will disconnect Fuse no. 64 and see if the car would sleep. A "tail light substitute on!" message shows occasionally. I don't feel like I have rear or front SAM problem though. One last thing: I have a dripping windshield washer reservoir and I believe fan wires are attached to it at some point.

Hoping that someone encountered a similar problem in the past and maybe could help me with this. I will appreciate it.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
Originally Posted by kerraz
This thread is old enough and am sorry for bringing it back. but may be someone can help with my problem. So, I have a 2001 C320 W203 that I bought at the US Copart auction. the car had an accident where I had to replace the hood & the AC condenser right in the front. Repainted the bumper, fog lights not fixed yet, neither the outside temp. sensor.

Recharged the AC system with refrigerant, turn on the AC and the compressor seems to be working but the radiator fan does not engage and the compressor would shut off eventually. The car drives fine, no overheating and the fan would engage properly when engine/coolant temp. reaches 95'/97' C. In fact, while idling, I would wait for the fan to work with the engine/coolant and I would turn on the AC and get ice cold air. Took my fan off, tried it in brother's C320 and it worked when AC on and with the engine/coolant. Replaced the Refrigerant Pressure Sensor (B12) down the condenser on my car with no success. I even tried another fan in my car and it behaved the same. My hood being replaced, I checked the sun sensor that looked dusty, the plug looked fine but I can't tell whether the sensor good or not, the whole plastic hood vent with the sensor in it was removed from the damaged hood and mounted to new one. So I'm thinking maybe I should replace the sensor. I'm somehow forced to throw parts as I don't have a Star tool.

I used an Autel scanner tool and the only thing wrong that it showed was "Refrigerant Pressure Sensor (B12); Pressure too low, 8 bar, [...30 bar]". My technician is thinking may be it's a compressor valve problem so that the compressor is not generating enough pressure that would signal the fan to kick in. Yet, the condenser gets really hot and I think that sensor monitors heat as well. The car has also footwell flaps stuck. Almost all air goes to defroster vents & footwell; so little makes it to the dash front vents.

The car has also a battery drain issue; it will drain out in 2 days. Front seats modules disconnected; still drains. I disconnected the TELEAID module as I'm getting a message in the display. I'm driving the car every day so I can't tell. But the car still won't sleep I'm sure. CD Charger (not working properly sometimes), audio gateway problems... I don't know. I will disconnect Fuse no. 64 and see if the car would sleep. A "tail light substitute on!" message shows occasionally. I don't feel like I have rear or front SAM problem though. One last thing: I have a dripping windshield washer reservoir and I believe fan wires are attached to it at some point.

Hoping that someone encountered a similar problem in the past and maybe could help me with this. I will appreciate it.

Hello,
Sorry to bring this up after several years but
I found your comment about the radiator fan of mercedes w203. .did you solve your problem? i am having the same problem and cannot find the issue.

Thank you in advance