C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Front impact sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 c320
Front impact sensor

Hello I was in a slight front collision with my 2001 c320 and I was just wondering where would the impact sensors on the front be located I believe I have to have the changed as both front airbags went out
Old 12-16-2013, 06:23 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Not sure about the sensors, but have you looked into changing the seatbelts? If I remember correctly, you might have to replace all four... There's something with the pretensioner squibs. I think it was discussed in the forum.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 c320
Does that mean I have to replace the whole seatbelt itself? I know that there is sensors in the seat but would it require all four seatbelts if only the wheel and the dash airbag popped? Also I have replaced both bags does that require me having to reprogram the airbag module? And last but not least just to be sure it would be the front two seatbelts, the front two seat sensors, the two air bags and the impact sensors to clear the srs light?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 MB C230K Sport Sedan & 2011 MB C300
front impact sensors are located behind the headlights. There are two 10mm bolts that hold it in and a 2 wire plug that connects to it. I have uploaded a picture of the front passenger side impact sensor. The driver side is in the same location.
Attached Thumbnails Front impact sensor-passide-impact-sensor.jpg  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
hey beating another dead horse....
these front airbag sensors, is it a good idea to buy them pirate or scrapyard or buy from agents?
and the story with the seatbelt tensioners? if someone could elaborate please.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by Dollos
hey beating another dead horse....
these front airbag sensors, is it a good idea to buy them pirate or scrapyard or buy from agents?
and the story with the seatbelt tensioners? if someone could elaborate please.
Thanks
That's actually a good, and important, question.

You want OEM Air Bag sensors ONLY.
You can get them from a salvage yard, as long as the car has not been in an accident.

The older MB vehicles use an Air bag Mass/Inertia sensor.
https://www.azosensors.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=40

These types of sensors can also be damaged in a crash. That's why it's typical for Dealers to replace the sensors after a crash.

These sensors are simple in design. However, the quailty and tolerance of the components is critical.
No one buys aftermarket replacement parts that cost more than Dealer parts. So, in just about all cases, after market parts are designed to be "more cost efficient" (i.e. cheaper than OEM).

Imho, get a sensor from a salvage car. On ebay, the bigger salvage yards also show a picture of the vehicle. Imho, simple light damage is no problem (backed up into a pole/etc). But, if you see crushed panels/bumpers, then pass on the air bag sensors from that vehicle.
Fwiw, most good salvage yards wouldn't list the sensors from a vehicle like that in the first place.

Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
Originally Posted by RedGray
That's actually a good, and important, question.

You want OEM Air Bag sensors ONLY.
You can get them from a salvage yard, as long as the car has not been in an accident.

The older MB vehicles use an Air bag Mass/Inertia sensor.
https://www.azosensors.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=40

These types of sensors can also be damaged in a crash. That's why it's typical for Dealers to replace the sensors after a crash.

These sensors are simple in design. However, the quailty and tolerance of the components is critical.
No one buys aftermarket replacement parts that cost more than Dealer parts. So, in just about all cases, after market parts are designed to be "more cost efficient" (i.e. cheaper than OEM).

Imho, get a sensor from a salvage car. On ebay, the bigger salvage yards also show a picture of the vehicle. Imho, simple light damage is no problem (backed up into a pole/etc). But, if you see crushed panels/bumpers, then pass on the air bag sensors from that vehicle.
Fwiw, most good salvage yards wouldn't list the sensors from a vehicle like that in the first place.

Good Luck.
Thanks my man