C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

XM or Sirius?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If considering service only, I prefer Sirius as it offers very good selection and is commercial free. Also, I think NPR is exclusive to Sirius which was a factor for me.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm fully aware of the Audiovox Shuttle and the Streamer, they are HUGE bricks and in no way compares to the tiny Roady. In my truck they all look the same because it's a truck. Heck, they only market the Streamer to truckers at truck stops. In my C-Coupe there's just no place for that huge of a device without it looking really bad. Also the weight causes the unit to bounce, can't be good. You do have to choices, a front view brick like the ones you mention or the edge view brick like the Kenwood, either one just doesn't do it for me. I like the Panasonic the best but it's not portable and that's important for me.

I would like nothing more than to go back to Sirius, actually I'm listening to it now at home on their web streams. But they need to get a device as good as the Roady to compete. The problem is that XM has 10 times more subs than Sirius, I can see why Sirius can't invest in the equipment to make it happen, it's sad because I can only take so much Clearchannel programming before I switch to CD, never felt that way with Sirius, can listen to it all day. Ideally the MB setup with the factory radio would be best if it wasn't $800 installed and if it was available.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor
didn't realize the size

having had only browsed online @ the different models i didn't really grasp the size differences between the different models - namely the audiovox (sirius) and the roady (xm). HUGE difference!

seeing as i don't plan on using it at home, the whole plug-n-play bit was not my concern. i was under the impression that that was the only option though...

today i bought the kenwood kca-r90fm - which apparently is just their controller for their FM Modulated devices (kegs, sirius tuners, and changers) - and they threw in the tuner (ktc-sr902) in with the deal. the tuner has RCA output which i will connect to my COMAND's aux-in. for $100 i got everything i need - tuner, controller, antenna...and an FM modulater - which is only going to act as a power supply.

does anyone know whether the sirius antenna will work if i put it under the dash, behind the instrument cluster? that's where my COMAND antenna is and i like the idea of it being out of view. i remember reading on some forum - not sure which - that someone was thinking of going this route. anyone know?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I was tempted by the ads for the Audiovox and the Roady....

The Audiovox (Sirius) is too thick to stuff into the ashtray.....the cradle is a little better design than... say... the original Delphi or those pod looking things from Sony and Kenwood.

The Roady looks like the piece I'd rather install...but XM programming is a little less desirable.

decisions decisions....parts guy at the MB dealer told me the head unit 'should be available' by February....

indecisions....aaaaarrrrgh

Last edited by Rick; 12-11-2003 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Re: didn't realize the size

Originally posted by davidasman
does anyone know whether the sirius antenna will work if i put it under the dash, behind the instrument cluster?
I have my XM antenna stuck to the center vent grill on the dash. Even with that, I get a lot of signal drops. Sat signals are line-of-sight. The signal will penetrate walls and glass, but only to a point. I imagine you'd get no signal at all UNDER the dash unless you have a strong terrestrial signal in your area.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rick
decisions decisions....parts guy at the MB dealer told me the head unit 'should be available' by February....

indecisions....aaaaarrrrgh

Check the forums, www.xmfan.com and www.siriusbackstage.com lots of good info on both. There maybe new equipment coming out at CES in January that may sway your decision yet once more. Also if you follow the Sirius forums you'll see that about every other month they have a Friends and Family deal where they give the stuff away, last time it was the Audiovox Shuttle.