C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Lossing/adjusting the parkingbrake solved all problems, ABS, ESP, BAS, Stop lamp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203
Lossing/adjusting the parkingbrake solved all problems, ABS, ESP, BAS, Stop lamp

Hello there!

Car: w203 c200

It all began with the parkingbrake. A person borrowed the car and kinda pushed a bit to hard when using the parkingbrake, not only was it in bad shape he made it worse.

And that the driver and passenger seat were not working when trying to adjust the positioning with the electric switches.

So I kinda began removing almost all fuses because i didn't have the fuse diagram or simply didn't search for it. And replaced the fuse for the seats and they started working again. After removing almost all fuses to check which one was blown the ESP, ABS, and BAS come on. Sometimes the stop lamp comes on, and sometimes the ABS didn't came up. But the ESP was always on.

I had 67Ah battery and yes i know it's a bit too low for this car, but never had a problem with it for more than 6 months now.
So I thought why not just buy a new battery and it might give enough voltage so these errors would dissapear, and fix the problem. So I bought 90ah Bosch and the ESP, ABS, BAS and "Stop lamp" didn't dissapear. Even when i turned the steering wheel lock to lock a few times.

So i was confused. I thought how is this possible that all of these come on when changing and all the fuses works. 6 months ago when I did change the battery to 67ah ESP came on and dissapeared after 1-2 startengines, might have been the lock to lock too I don't know.

Anyway. I had now ESP, BAS, ABS light on so I bought a carsoft 7.4 to reset, but i still haven't received it.
A day before the adjusting the parkingbrake the radio died. Would't start only showed 4 dashes like this " - - - - "
So I thought it was the fuse, but it wasn't blown. So I got angry and started swearing.

Remember the parkingbrake?? Well I thought while i wait for the carsoft i can fix the parkingbrake by loosening it a bit. I adjusted the parking brake by lifting the rear seat bench and accessing the parking brake adjuster. Think its called the "center adjuster"

So I loosened the parkingbrake and went up home without starting the car.
Next morning i was ready for some action but there was none.
All the problems was not there.

I don't know if it santa came and fixed the car at night or the car is trolling me or that it actually fixed the problem. I had these problems with ESP, BAS, ABS lighting up for days, and after i loosened the brake the next day they vanished.

So I don't know if this is a fix for anything beside the brake or if it does relate to other systems. So if anyone have BAS, ESP, ABS or Stop lamp on would you try and loosing the center adjuster and see if that does anything.

Short story:
1. bad battery changed it to 67ah 6 months ago.
2. Seat not working changed the fuse
3. Parkingbrake light is on because it won't fully release.
4. After replacing the fuse for the seat's and checking other fuses the ABS, ESP, BAS and Stop light came on. And never went away until the end step.
5. Bought new battery 90ah Bosch in hope that it would fix the errors. "but that didn't do anything"
5. 2 days before adjusting the brake the radio died "Fuses were not blown"
6. Adjusted the parkingbrake and the next day all the problems went away.

Happy and confused.
Does this make any sense for anybody?

Thank you for reading my story

Last edited by Bizzi; 01-03-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Good news, How does the parking brake hold the car now ?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203
Works as it should. I just can't understand the relation between the errors and parkingbrake "center adjuster"